Careers in Youth & Family Ministry and Work
Though no one can guarantee a job, the market for trained youth and family workers is very strong and appears to be so in the immediate future. Churches have realized that the only thing worse than not having a youth, children’s, or family pastor is to have one that doesn't know what he or she is doing. Our program has an excellent reputation and many new inquiries regarding our graduating students EVERY YEAR.
At the end of this page, please use LINKS to see current jobs available (locally and across the world) in Youth, Children’s, and Family Ministry/Work Careers. There are many!
Youth & Family Studies students seek and find employment in a broad variety of youth or family ministry settings:
- Church Youth Ministry
High School Youth Ministry
Middle School Youth Ministry
- Church Young Adult Ministry
- Para-church Youth Ministry (Young Life-YL, Youth for Christ-YFC, Young Lives, Fellowship of Christian Athletes-FCA, Child Evangelism Fellowship-CEF, Teen Mops, etc.)
- Urban Youth Ministry (Center for Student Missions, Rescue Missions, etc.)
- Para-church Young Adult Ministry (Campus Crusade for Christ, Intervarsity, Navigators, Disciple Makers, Athletes in Action, etc.)
- Family Ministry or Services (in the church and in organizations like Focus on the Family, Family Research Council, and many varying Family Services fields, etc.)
- Youth Missions (overseas youth ministry- YWAM, AIM, many others)
- Youth Work Overseas (in the U.K. there are many varying types of government youth work positions needed; Peace Corps, etc.)
- Military Chaplaincy and various other chaplaincy options
- Agency Counselors or Directors (Salvation Army, Goodwill Industries, etc.)
- Youth Work in the U.S. (YMCA, Big Brothers-Big Sisters, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Boys and Girls Club, etc.)
- At Risk Youth (Group Homes, Juvenile Detention Programs, Wilderness Adventure, etc.)
- Camping & Recreation (Camps and Many Recreation Programs)
- Graduate School (Divinity, Child & Family, Marriage & Family, Counseling)
We update our YFS job bulletin board every semester with new available positions. All positions posted come from those who contact us! Once again (2014), we had/have more positions available through personal contacts than we had/have graduating seniors. We need more students interested in serving families, youth, and children in ministry/work. *Children’s ministry positions are trending better than in the last 10 years.
Visit the site through the link; you can search by job title, by denomination, by region of the country, by specific position desired, and other criteria.
When on this site, you can search simply by clicking on the tabs of interest (Para-church ministries, Discipleship, College, Small Group, Young Adult, Christian Education, Children’s Ministry, Youth Pastor, Family Pastor, Media/Technology, Associate Pastor, etc.) or, like the others- by key words, locations, and categories. Stays up to Date! (Example, on 3/10/2014 there were 80 new postings for full time Youth Leaders- posted after 1/28/2014.)
LINK: www.churchstaffsearch.com OR
When you visit these sites, you can search by category, location, denomination, and even worship style. You can also search by job type. Most recent postings listed first.
This site advertises for many (more than 20 are highlighted) wilderness adventure organizations seeking those interested in working with at-risk youth and young adults. MANY opportunities for work in this field exist all over the United States, including Hawaii and Alaska. One can type in the zip code of the area in which he or she wishes to work (while also providing some other data), and they’ll identify jobs available relative to preferred locations and interests.
When visiting this site, type “family” into the “WHAT” Box. Varying opportunities in family services pop up. You’ll have to scroll through carefully, eliminating the positions which require graduate degrees- There are many job possibilities which do not.