March is National Social Work Month. This year's theme is "Forging Solutions Out of Challenges." Submit a brief video, spoken word performance, poster or photo showing how social workers have helped individuals, communities or our society create solutions and positive change out of challenging situations. The winners in each category will receive a trophy and sample kit of Social Work Month merchandise. Submit entries to email@example.com by March 1. Winners will be announced at the end of Social Work Month.
2009 BSW Graduate: Elaina Wood -- Alumni Spotlight
I am the program coordinator for Safe Horizon’s Streetwork Outreach team. The team does outreach to homeless youth in all five boroughs of NYC, from 7pm-2am. We provide clothing, food, safe sex supplies, transportation to shelters, referrals, and we just implemented a syringe exchange program. Streetwork is a harm reduction agency that assists runaway and homeless youth 16-24 years of age. I manage six outreach staff, and three funding contracts.
What keeps you committed & inspired in the profession of social work?
I love working with youth and their energy is often what keeps me going. I have a deep connection with our mission statement and the harm reduction philosophy. Even through graduate school, commitment and inspiration for the work never ends. It is easy to get burnt out but it is so important to find personal and professional support systems. If they are not in place at your agency you have to create them for yourself.
What did you appreciate about your time within Nyack's BSW program?
My education in the BSW program at Nyack College was a time of immense growth for me. I appreciated the multicultural approach to the work. All of my teachers were passionate, and happened to be women and this was very empowering to me.The BSW program at Nyack College laid the foundation regarding ethics, values and the foundation-based skills that I needed to continue into my career and educational endeavors.
Forgive Us: Confessions of a Compromised Faith
"Sabbath As Resistance" - October 30, 2014
Three Upcoming Events - Fall 2014
- Media Contest
- 2009 BSW Graduate: Elaina Wood -- Alumni Spotlight
- Forgive Us: Confessions of a Compromised Faith
- "Sabbath As Resistance" - October 30, 2014
- Three Upcoming Events - Fall 2014
- New York City Department of Social Work Host Discussion on "The New Jim Crow"
- Nyack SWO Hosts VET2MENTOR Event
- Humphreys and Roland Present at NACSW
- Dr. Lopez-Humphreys Co-Authors Countering the Silence
- Dr. Brian Roland - First Year Faculty Award
- Dr. Yun - 2013 Chair of the Year
- Dr. Lopez-Humphreys Honored for Leadership
- Dr. Brian Roland
- Solange Delmar, a Social Work Senior, Spoke at an Event that Honored Women Veterans
- Students Study Abroad in the Philippines
- Event: Trip to Washington DC
- Event: Nyack Connection Day
- Event: Social Work Day at the United Nations
- Event: Conference on Family Violence and Faith Communities
- Browse Blog Archive>>