A Study of Rockland County Diversity Begins at Nyack College
Nyack College Rockland will be the first stop on Thursday, November 17 for the 2011 cohort of Leadership Rockland, a 10-month educational program created for leaders in businesses and not-for-profits in Rockland County, NY. The group will be addressed at Nyack's Shuman Hall by Dr. Anita Underwood, dean of Nyack's School of Business and Leadership on "Rockland County: The Multicultural Community."
Other stops on the daylong tour will include the Hibernian House in Pearl River; the CEJJES Institute in Pomona; the Islamic Center of Rockland County; and the Jewish Community Campus.
Earl Miller, Executive Director of Community Relations at Nyack College (pictured above), and an 2007 alumnus of Leadership Rockland, is a coordinator of the program’s multicultural community segment, which addresses the experience of living in a diverse society. Participants learn about Rockland County demographics and when different ethnic groups settled in the area. He will be joined by other leaders who are also alumni of the program: Nilda Aragones (2008), Ryan O'Gorman (2009) and Brett Bekritsky (2010). The multicultural community session will explore cultural diversity and its challenges within the context of education, economic development, public policy and community development.
The curriculum examines Leadership; Historical Rockland; Environment; Multicultural Communities; Education & Human Capital; Economic Development; Criminal Justice & Public Safety; Healthcare, Non-Profits & Community Service; Arts, Culture, Media & Communications; Politics & Public Policy; and Making an Impact.
Members of the class of 2011 are as follows:
Zenya Alvarez-Cleveland, Director of Family and Community Services, Head Start of Rockland
Marion Arbuco, Director of the Community Learning Center, Clarkstown Central School District
Anastasia Culianos, President/Owner, Greater Hudson Valley R/E Appraisals, Inc.
Sheila Dolan, Quality Assurance Specialist II, Pfizer
Daniela Dundara-Staub, Associate Broker, Keller Williams Hudson Valley Realty
Gerard Fox, Associate Broker, BHG Rand Realty
Syntyche Francella-Alston, Teacher Director, NYC Department of Education
Glen Keene, Attorney, Law Office of Glen E. Keene
Catherine Kopf, Treasurer, Village of West Haverstraw
Larry Luxenberg, Lexington Avenue Capital Management
Inkhie Mars, Director of VISIONS Center on Blindness, VISIONS/Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired
Joseph Modafferi, Jr., Project Manager, John Meyer Consulting, PC
Fia Hill Murray, Registration Coordiantor, Child Care Resources of Rockland, Inc.
Robert Pitkofsky, Law Firm of Pitkofsky, PLLC
Julie Prevost, Branch Manager, Key Bank - New City
Esther Schulman, Advertising Sales Manager, ARC of Rockland
Gisella Sposato, Store Manager, AVP, TD Bank
Ilsa Svoboda, Coordinator of Social Work Services, Meals on Wheels of Rockland
Robert Tyrell, Assistant Director of Admissions, Dominican College
For more information on Leadership Rockland, visit www.leadershiprockland.org.
- Nyack's School of Education: National Recognition...Times 9
- NYC Student Government Association Presents Black History Month Showcase
- School of Music Invites Faculty and Staff to Join Chorale Performance
- Nyack Among Local Colleges Offering Scholarships to MLK Oratory Contest Winners
- 2016 New York State Student Aid Advocacy Day
- Rave Review for New Album by Nyack NYC Alumnus Glauco Lima
- Spring Semester 2016 Deeper Life Series With Dr. Stanley John
- Gone Too Soon: Jonathan Perez (NC '09)
- Nyack's School of Social Work and Praxis Connections Partner on Leadership Forums
- Remembering Nyack Professor Emeritus, Dr. Eldon "Woody" Woodcock (1930-2016)
- Empower 2016 Open House
- Rockland County Colleges Partner on a Black History Month MLK Oratory Contest
- Remembering Longtime Nyack Friend, Dr. Susan G. Gordon
- Nyack's Literary Journal, The Fine Print, Announces Submissions Deadline
- January 29-30: Discipleship Conference With Neil Anderson at Nyack
- Nyack School of Music Profs and Alumni in Rockland Camerata Concert
- Nyack Alumnus Pens Book on First C&MA Mission Field
- 2016 Nyack Alumni & Friends Phonathon
- RELEASE: Nyack Receives Education Excellence Award from Beraca Baptist Church
- Remembering Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Basketball Teams Visit Upper Nyack Elementary School
- Nyack's Social Justice Celebration--An Important Change
- Dr. Elizabeth Swanson Voted a National Collegiate Choral Organization Officer
- Joseph and Mary of Bethlehem at ATS
- Congratulations to Our December 2015 Graduates!
- Browse Blog Archive>>