A Study of Rockland County Diversity Begins at Nyack College
Nyack College Rockland will be the first stop on Thursday, November 17 for the 2011 cohort of Leadership Rockland, a 10-month educational program created for leaders in businesses and not-for-profits in Rockland County, NY. The group will be addressed at Nyack's Shuman Hall by Dr. Anita Underwood, dean of Nyack's School of Business and Leadership on "Rockland County: The Multicultural Community."
Other stops on the daylong tour will include the Hibernian House in Pearl River; the CEJJES Institute in Pomona; the Islamic Center of Rockland County; and the Jewish Community Campus.
Earl Miller, Executive Director of Community Relations at Nyack College (pictured above), and an 2007 alumnus of Leadership Rockland, is a coordinator of the program’s multicultural community segment, which addresses the experience of living in a diverse society. Participants learn about Rockland County demographics and when different ethnic groups settled in the area. He will be joined by other leaders who are also alumni of the program: Nilda Aragones (2008), Ryan O'Gorman (2009) and Brett Bekritsky (2010). The multicultural community session will explore cultural diversity and its challenges within the context of education, economic development, public policy and community development.
The curriculum examines Leadership; Historical Rockland; Environment; Multicultural Communities; Education & Human Capital; Economic Development; Criminal Justice & Public Safety; Healthcare, Non-Profits & Community Service; Arts, Culture, Media & Communications; Politics & Public Policy; and Making an Impact.
Members of the class of 2011 are as follows:
Zenya Alvarez-Cleveland, Director of Family and Community Services, Head Start of Rockland
Marion Arbuco, Director of the Community Learning Center, Clarkstown Central School District
Anastasia Culianos, President/Owner, Greater Hudson Valley R/E Appraisals, Inc.
Sheila Dolan, Quality Assurance Specialist II, Pfizer
Daniela Dundara-Staub, Associate Broker, Keller Williams Hudson Valley Realty
Gerard Fox, Associate Broker, BHG Rand Realty
Syntyche Francella-Alston, Teacher Director, NYC Department of Education
Glen Keene, Attorney, Law Office of Glen E. Keene
Catherine Kopf, Treasurer, Village of West Haverstraw
Larry Luxenberg, Lexington Avenue Capital Management
Inkhie Mars, Director of VISIONS Center on Blindness, VISIONS/Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired
Joseph Modafferi, Jr., Project Manager, John Meyer Consulting, PC
Fia Hill Murray, Registration Coordiantor, Child Care Resources of Rockland, Inc.
Robert Pitkofsky, Law Firm of Pitkofsky, PLLC
Julie Prevost, Branch Manager, Key Bank - New City
Esther Schulman, Advertising Sales Manager, ARC of Rockland
Gisella Sposato, Store Manager, AVP, TD Bank
Ilsa Svoboda, Coordinator of Social Work Services, Meals on Wheels of Rockland
Robert Tyrell, Assistant Director of Admissions, Dominican College
For more information on Leadership Rockland, visit www.leadershiprockland.org.
- TODAY: "A Greener NYC" to Showcase a Nyack School of Music Performance at City Hall
- LAST DAY to Shop for Nyack Warrior Gear Online
- Nyack College Joins the Luis Palau Association CityServe Event in Manhattan
- RELEASE: Steinway Piano Dedication With Author/NY Times Reporter James Barron
- C&MA Church Planter Among Those Murdered in Guinea
- Alrick Brown's Award-winning Kinyarwanda Screening & Panel at Nyack NYC
- Dean Ron Walborn Interviewed on Unseminary.com
- RELEASE: October 20 Unearthing Magdala, An Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins Conference
- Report on AJCO-CSGE Panel: Wealth and Responsibility to the Poor
- 9/11 Thirteen Years Later
- Jewish and Christian Perspectives on Wealth and Responsibility to the Poor
- HEOP Continues at Nyack Rockland and Launches at Nyack NYC
- India Trip for Nyack School of Nursing Combines Study With Outreach
- A Call to Prayer September 1-7 by C&MA President John Stumbo
- True Confessions or A Half Century-Old Mystery to be Unveiled at Homecoming 2014!
- Browse Blog Archive>>