NYC School of Ed Profs Speakers at ACSI Conference
Posted by Deborah.Walker on Wednesday October 19, 2011
On Friday, October 28, Nyack NYC School of Education professor, Miriam Velez (pictured above), will be the opening session speaker at the Association of Christian Schools International's 2011 Metro New York City Educator Convention at Evangel Church in Long Island City, New York. "The Educational Plight of Urban Children and the Kingdom Agenda," is the two-day conference theme. During her address, Prof. Velez will speak on "The Urban Teacher as a Kingdom Agent."
School of Education professor Dr. Marie White will also co-present a Thursday, October 27 workshop with Prof. Velez on "Help-Seeking and the Urban Student: Removing the Stigma," encouraging educators to help students understand that help-seeking is not a weakness, but a sign of appropriate coping.
Nyack College is a member of ACSI, an organization of Christian preschools, elementary secondary, and post-secondary schools. ACSI provides resources to the member institutions as well as professional development opportunities. The association serves more than 3.9 million students globally. With 27 regional offices in North America, nearly 23,000 schools from more than 100 countries are members.
The keynote speaker headlining the conference is Dr. Tony Evans, senior pastor of 9,000 member Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship in Dallas, TX. Dr. Evans is also president of The Urban Alternative, a national ministry, which includes a radio broadcast of the same name.
Click here for details on the conference.
- Nyack Alumnus Sean Pica Named to Alliance for Higher Education in Prison Founding Board
- New Edition of The Forum Published
- March 29: The Amasi Trio in Concert
- OPENING MARCH 31: Nyack's Spring Play: The Importance of Being Earnest
- MARCH 31: Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Nyack College Opera Workshop Presents Verdi's "La Traviata"
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Nyack Alumna, Kathia Benitez Is Director of sustainNU program at Northwestern University
- Alliance Graduate School of Counseling Reunion at NYC Campus
- Bach's 332nd Birthday Bash
- The Gates Way to Medieval Times
- March 18: Hudson River Pianofest 2017 at Nyack College
- President Michael G. Scales to Begin New Term on CICU Board
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack School of Music Students on Harry Connick Jr. Show
- What Is Love? Nyack Rockland Artists Answer the Question
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Founder/CEO Evelyn Bautista-Miller Is CSGE Colloquium Speaker
- ATS Missions Retreat at Mount Crescent House
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- Fifth Anniversary Celebration & Silent Auction to Benefit Empower Program
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- Browse Blog Archive>>