NYC School of Ed Profs Speakers at ACSI Conference
Posted by Deborah.Walker on Wednesday October 19, 2011
On Friday, October 28, Nyack NYC School of Education professor, Miriam Velez (pictured above), will be the opening session speaker at the Association of Christian Schools International's 2011 Metro New York City Educator Convention at Evangel Church in Long Island City, New York. "The Educational Plight of Urban Children and the Kingdom Agenda," is the two-day conference theme. During her address, Prof. Velez will speak on "The Urban Teacher as a Kingdom Agent."
School of Education professor Dr. Marie White will also co-present a Thursday, October 27 workshop with Prof. Velez on "Help-Seeking and the Urban Student: Removing the Stigma," encouraging educators to help students understand that help-seeking is not a weakness, but a sign of appropriate coping.
Nyack College is a member of ACSI, an organization of Christian preschools, elementary secondary, and post-secondary schools. ACSI provides resources to the member institutions as well as professional development opportunities. The association serves more than 3.9 million students globally. With 27 regional offices in North America, nearly 23,000 schools from more than 100 countries are members.
The keynote speaker headlining the conference is Dr. Tony Evans, senior pastor of 9,000 member Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship in Dallas, TX. Dr. Evans is also president of The Urban Alternative, a national ministry, which includes a radio broadcast of the same name.
Click here for details on the conference.
- Tune In For a Special WNKY Segment With The Center for Human Development and Family Services
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- MARCH 3: Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- FEB 18: Purpose Performs at Katonah Village Library
- Nyack Students Participate in NY Student Aid Alliance Event
- Recapturing the Art of Writing Love Letters
- Meet Dynamic NY Talent Trinity Rose on WNYK 88.7FM
- Accreditation Renewed for Nyack by the Association of Christian Schools International
- 2017 Alumni & Friends Phonathon Underway
- Yahoo! for Krysten Peek and Her 7-Continent Run
- Nyack Center Announces Winners of the Martin Luther King Oratory Contest
- Rev. Charles Galbreath--Nyack Chapel Speaker
- Deeper Life Series with Dr. Michael and Mrs. Lisa Plunket
- Udo Middelmann, Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- Browse Blog Archive>>