NYC School of Ed Profs Speakers at ACSI Conference
Posted by Deborah.Walker on Wednesday October 19, 2011
On Friday, October 28, Nyack NYC School of Education professor, Miriam Velez (pictured above), will be the opening session speaker at the Association of Christian Schools International's 2011 Metro New York City Educator Convention at Evangel Church in Long Island City, New York. "The Educational Plight of Urban Children and the Kingdom Agenda," is the two-day conference theme. During her address, Prof. Velez will speak on "The Urban Teacher as a Kingdom Agent."
School of Education professor Dr. Marie White will also co-present a Thursday, October 27 workshop with Prof. Velez on "Help-Seeking and the Urban Student: Removing the Stigma," encouraging educators to help students understand that help-seeking is not a weakness, but a sign of appropriate coping.
Nyack College is a member of ACSI, an organization of Christian preschools, elementary secondary, and post-secondary schools. ACSI provides resources to the member institutions as well as professional development opportunities. The association serves more than 3.9 million students globally. With 27 regional offices in North America, nearly 23,000 schools from more than 100 countries are members.
The keynote speaker headlining the conference is Dr. Tony Evans, senior pastor of 9,000 member Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship in Dallas, TX. Dr. Evans is also president of The Urban Alternative, a national ministry, which includes a radio broadcast of the same name.
Click here for details on the conference.
- TODAY: Alrick Brown's Award-winning Kinyarwanda Screening & Panel at Nyack NYC
- Dean Ron Walborn Interviewed on Unseminary.com
- RELEASE: October 20 Unearthing Magdala, An Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins Conference
- Report on AJCO-CSGE Panel: Wealth and Responsibility to the Poor
- 9/11 Thirteen Years Later
- Jewish and Christian Perspectives on Wealth and Responsibility to the Poor
- HEOP Continues at Nyack Rockland and Launches at Nyack NYC
- India Trip for Nyack School of Nursing Combines Study With Outreach
- "A Greener NYC" to Showcase a Nyack School of Music Performance at City Hall
- A Call to Prayer September 1-7 by C&MA President John Stumbo
- True Confessions or A Half Century-Old Mystery to be Unveiled at Homecoming 2014!
- On the Passing of Mrs. Dianna Sanders
- Nyack NYC Student Leadership Development Retreat
- 2014 Global Engagement Lecture Features Director of REALIS Christian Center in Kiev, Ukraine
- College of Arts and Sciences Convenes Its Faculty/Staff Retreat
- Browse Blog Archive>>