"Miracle Medicine: Forgiveness"
“Never give up!” Those words could not have come from the mouth of a more convincing speaker than Auschwitz concentration camp survivor, Eva Mozes Kor. Her exhortation was well received by the hushed audience during her recent visit as guest speaker at a Rockland campus chapel service.
Mrs. Kor told how she and her twin sister, Miriam, as children endured the wicked genetic experiments specifically devised for twins by Josef Mengele, known as “the Angel of Death.” After the camp was liberated, Eva and Miriam were in another camp for nearly a year before sent to live with an aunt. As adults, Eva donated a kidney to her sister in 1987. Miriam Mozes passed away in 1993.
In addition to recounting her harrowing experience, Eva Kor shared life lessons with Nyack students, faculty, and staff. Calling forgiveness a “miracle medicine,” the petite blue-eyed woman confirmed the benefits of the antidote that has “no cost and no side effects.”
The author of “Echoes from Auschwitz” is also founder and president of C.A.N.D.L.E.S., an acronym for Children of Auschwitz Nazi Deadly Lab Experiment Survivors. In 1995, she established a Holocaust Museum and Education Center in Terre Haute, Indiana, which was destroyed by arson in 2003. Not long after that tragic hate crime, there a generous outpouring of support for rebuilding the important educational facility.
Concluding her lecture, Mrs. Kor urged students to hug their parents and parents to hug their children in tribute to those who were unable hug their parents or their children because of that blight on human history known as the Holocaust.
- Nyack's School of Education: National Recognition...Times 9
- NYC Student Government Association Presents Black History Month Showcase
- School of Music Invites Faculty and Staff to Join Chorale Performance
- Nyack Among Local Colleges Offering Scholarships to MLK Oratory Contest Winners
- 2016 New York State Student Aid Advocacy Day
- Rave Review for New Album by Nyack NYC Alumnus Glauco Lima
- Spring Semester 2016 Deeper Life Series With Dr. Stanley John
- Gone Too Soon: Jonathan Perez (NC '09)
- Nyack's School of Social Work and Praxis Connections Partner on Leadership Forums
- Remembering Nyack Professor Emeritus, Dr. Eldon "Woody" Woodcock (1930-2016)
- Empower 2016 Open House
- Rockland County Colleges Partner on a Black History Month MLK Oratory Contest
- Remembering Longtime Nyack Friend, Dr. Susan G. Gordon
- Nyack's Literary Journal, The Fine Print, Announces Submissions Deadline
- Neil Anderson Conference at Nyack Sold Out!
- January 29-30: Discipleship Conference With Neil Anderson at Nyack
- Nyack School of Music Profs and Alumni in Rockland Camerata Concert
- Nyack Alumnus Pens Book on First C&MA Mission Field
- 2016 Nyack Alumni & Friends Phonathon
- RELEASE: Nyack Receives Education Excellence Award from Beraca Baptist Church
- Remembering Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Basketball Teams Visit Upper Nyack Elementary School
- Nyack's Social Justice Celebration--An Important Change
- Dr. Elizabeth Swanson Voted a National Collegiate Choral Organization Officer
- Joseph and Mary of Bethlehem at ATS
- Browse Blog Archive>>