"Miracle Medicine: Forgiveness"
“Never give up!” Those words could not have come from the mouth of a more convincing speaker than Auschwitz concentration camp survivor, Eva Mozes Kor. Her exhortation was well received by the hushed audience during her recent visit as guest speaker at a Rockland campus chapel service.
Mrs. Kor told how she and her twin sister, Miriam, as children endured the wicked genetic experiments specifically devised for twins by Josef Mengele, known as “the Angel of Death.” After the camp was liberated, Eva and Miriam were in another camp for nearly a year before sent to live with an aunt. As adults, Eva donated a kidney to her sister in 1987. Miriam Mozes passed away in 1993.
In addition to recounting her harrowing experience, Eva Kor shared life lessons with Nyack students, faculty, and staff. Calling forgiveness a “miracle medicine,” the petite blue-eyed woman confirmed the benefits of the antidote that has “no cost and no side effects.”
The author of “Echoes from Auschwitz” is also founder and president of C.A.N.D.L.E.S., an acronym for Children of Auschwitz Nazi Deadly Lab Experiment Survivors. In 1995, she established a Holocaust Museum and Education Center in Terre Haute, Indiana, which was destroyed by arson in 2003. Not long after that tragic hate crime, there a generous outpouring of support for rebuilding the important educational facility.
Concluding her lecture, Mrs. Kor urged students to hug their parents and parents to hug their children in tribute to those who were unable hug their parents or their children because of that blight on human history known as the Holocaust.
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Nyack's School of Music Headlines Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Global Service-Learning Trip in Cuba with Drs. Ron and Wanda Walborn
- Winterim: ATS in Israel with Dr. Bryan Widbin
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Globetrotting--the Nyack Way
- Soo-il Lee Recognized by Korean American Behavioral Health Association
- In Memoriam [Ring out, wild bells] by Lord Alfred Tennyson
- What You Can Discover at Nyack
- Steve Gardner (NC '87; ATS '94) Making Snowflakes
- Marcus Jugenheimer: A Major in God's Army
- The Gift of Mentoring at Nyack for Sneha Chrispal
- The Nyack Story: More Than Numbers by Provost David Turk
- Dr. Gerard Becker Co-authors Award Winning Paper
- Staff Highlight: Mr. Dan Bailey, Director of Admissions, Rockland Campus
- A Love Gift at Home for the Holidays
- West Side Story Off-Broadway...A Successful Eight-Show Run
- Nyack Rockland School of Music Winter Concert
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Isa Agape: A WNYK Interview and Worship & Praise Night Leader
- Telling the Nyack Story
- Browse Blog Archive>>