"Miracle Medicine: Forgiveness"
“Never give up!” Those words could not have come from the mouth of a more convincing speaker than Auschwitz concentration camp survivor, Eva Mozes Kor. Her exhortation was well received by the hushed audience during her recent visit as guest speaker at a Rockland campus chapel service.
Mrs. Kor told how she and her twin sister, Miriam, as children endured the wicked genetic experiments specifically devised for twins by Josef Mengele, known as “the Angel of Death.” After the camp was liberated, Eva and Miriam were in another camp for nearly a year before sent to live with an aunt. As adults, Eva donated a kidney to her sister in 1987. Miriam Mozes passed away in 1993.
In addition to recounting her harrowing experience, Eva Kor shared life lessons with Nyack students, faculty, and staff. Calling forgiveness a “miracle medicine,” the petite blue-eyed woman confirmed the benefits of the antidote that has “no cost and no side effects.”
The author of “Echoes from Auschwitz” is also founder and president of C.A.N.D.L.E.S., an acronym for Children of Auschwitz Nazi Deadly Lab Experiment Survivors. In 1995, she established a Holocaust Museum and Education Center in Terre Haute, Indiana, which was destroyed by arson in 2003. Not long after that tragic hate crime, there a generous outpouring of support for rebuilding the important educational facility.
Concluding her lecture, Mrs. Kor urged students to hug their parents and parents to hug their children in tribute to those who were unable hug their parents or their children because of that blight on human history known as the Holocaust.
- Nyack Baseball Team Collecting Baseball Gloves for Sports Clinic in Mexico
- Global Service-Learning 2015
- Peace and Hope Visit Nyack Rockland
- Hudson Link, TEDxSing Sing and Nyack College in New York Times Feature
- Sophia Institute Conference Features Nyack NYC Faculty
- Mandela Day Celebration at Nyack
- Storm Glautier Named CACC Rep to the National Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
- Memorial Concerts Honoring Professor Emeritus Ralph Ellenberger (1934-2014)
- Leadership Rockland Multicultural Communities Day Kicks Off at Nyack College
- Chamberfest at Nyack Rockland School of Music
- Nyack Rockland Colloquium Series Features Dr. K. Kale Yu
- NYACK NYC: Forgive Us...Confessions of a Compromised Faith--Book and Panel Discussion
- Fall 2014 Nyack's Scholars Symposium
- Nyack Students Up For The Challenge
- The Jubilee Chorus Performs at The Bowery Mission
- Browse Blog Archive>>