"Miracle Medicine: Forgiveness"
“Never give up!” Those words could not have come from the mouth of a more convincing speaker than Auschwitz concentration camp survivor, Eva Mozes Kor. Her exhortation was well received by the hushed audience during her recent visit as guest speaker at a Rockland campus chapel service.
Mrs. Kor told how she and her twin sister, Miriam, as children endured the wicked genetic experiments specifically devised for twins by Josef Mengele, known as “the Angel of Death.” After the camp was liberated, Eva and Miriam were in another camp for nearly a year before sent to live with an aunt. As adults, Eva donated a kidney to her sister in 1987. Miriam Mozes passed away in 1993.
In addition to recounting her harrowing experience, Eva Kor shared life lessons with Nyack students, faculty, and staff. Calling forgiveness a “miracle medicine,” the petite blue-eyed woman confirmed the benefits of the antidote that has “no cost and no side effects.”
The author of “Echoes from Auschwitz” is also founder and president of C.A.N.D.L.E.S., an acronym for Children of Auschwitz Nazi Deadly Lab Experiment Survivors. In 1995, she established a Holocaust Museum and Education Center in Terre Haute, Indiana, which was destroyed by arson in 2003. Not long after that tragic hate crime, there a generous outpouring of support for rebuilding the important educational facility.
Concluding her lecture, Mrs. Kor urged students to hug their parents and parents to hug their children in tribute to those who were unable hug their parents or their children because of that blight on human history known as the Holocaust.
- Nyack College School of Music December Concerts
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Alumna Alyssa Cruz Presents on Technology-Infused and Data-Driven Lesson Planning
- #GivingTuesday for Nyack's Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico
- Three Nyack Warriors on 2017 Men's Soccer All-Academic Team
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico...Firm and Persevering!
- Nyack Warriors Fight Strong for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Browse Blog Archive>>