Celebrating the Life of JP Mellis (1955-2011)
Today the life of JP Mellis, Nyack Warriors Hall of Famer, will be remembered at a funeral service at Alliance Bible Fellowship in Boone, NC. The Nyack College (’78) and Alliance Theological Seminary (’86) alumnus passed away on May 4, 2011 at Watauga Medical Center in Boone, NC.
In a bittersweet moment, his daughters—Sharon (Roberts, a NC 2005 alumna) and Marilyn—shared with Facebook friends the news of their father’s death. “We are grieved, as you are, and miss him so much already - it still hardly seems real, and we half expect to walk into the room and see him again. But, we are greatly relieved that his suffering is over and that he is at peace with God. How faithfully he served the Lord all of his days!”
A standout player for Nyack Men’s Baseball from 1976-1978, JP Mellis, was inducted into the Warriors Hall of Fame in 2002. His record for most runs scored in a season with 38 and career runs scored with 90 are still unbroken. He was an integral part of the 1977 team that set a record with 25 wins for the season. JP homered in the record-setting inning in 1977 where Nyack College hit four consecutive home-runs and hit 6 total home runs for the inning.
A loyal promoter of his alma mater, Mellis drew many students to Nyack College. When an announcement was made about Dr. Michael Scales being selected as Nyack’s 12th president, JP was among the first to send in congratulations:
"Difficult times are at hand and ahead for private Christian higher education, and visionary leadership coupled with profound faith is what we need. I believe Mike's extensive experience in higher education, proven leadership gifts, and rapport with people is what we need to meet the challenges of a new century.
I've known Mike for almost 25 years - perish the thought! I assured him that Nyack got it right with his selection as president, and that he will have my full support and prayers."
Click here to read his obituary and to leave online audio and written condolences. In lieu of flowers, the Mellis family asks that contributions be made to the Patty Mellis Kline/Cathy Carter Mellis Scholarship fund at Nyack College, 1 South Blvd., Nyack, NY 10960, ATTN: Dona Schepens.
Please keep the Mellis family in your prayers.
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico...Firm and Persevering!
- Nyack Warriors Fight Strong for Breast Cancer Awareness
- 2017 Seed to Harvest Seminar Hosted by Donna Baptiste Ministries
- '08 ATS Alumnus and Young Adults Pastor Adds Executive Director Role to Ministry
- Faculty Recital Features Dr. Tammy Lum
- Nyack Dean to Azusa Pacific Director: Coast to Coast Mentoring
- Nyack Warriors Basketball Podcast
- A Nyack College Cast Revives Lin-Manuel Miranda's "In the Heights"
- Puerto Rico Seminary Community Outreach to Families
- NOV 15: WMCA Radio 570AM Networking Breakfast at Nyack New York City Campus
- Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Nyack School of Music Students Perform at Market Street Mission
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Hosts Colloquium Series
- Prayer Summit 2017 With Dave Powers
- Browse Blog Archive>>