Celebrating the Life of JP Mellis (1955-2011)
Today the life of JP Mellis, Nyack Warriors Hall of Famer, will be remembered at a funeral service at Alliance Bible Fellowship in Boone, NC. The Nyack College (’78) and Alliance Theological Seminary (’86) alumnus passed away on May 4, 2011 at Watauga Medical Center in Boone, NC.
In a bittersweet moment, his daughters—Sharon (Roberts, a NC 2005 alumna) and Marilyn—shared with Facebook friends the news of their father’s death. “We are grieved, as you are, and miss him so much already - it still hardly seems real, and we half expect to walk into the room and see him again. But, we are greatly relieved that his suffering is over and that he is at peace with God. How faithfully he served the Lord all of his days!”
A standout player for Nyack Men’s Baseball from 1976-1978, JP Mellis, was inducted into the Warriors Hall of Fame in 2002. His record for most runs scored in a season with 38 and career runs scored with 90 are still unbroken. He was an integral part of the 1977 team that set a record with 25 wins for the season. JP homered in the record-setting inning in 1977 where Nyack College hit four consecutive home-runs and hit 6 total home runs for the inning.
A loyal promoter of his alma mater, Mellis drew many students to Nyack College. When an announcement was made about Dr. Michael Scales being selected as Nyack’s 12th president, JP was among the first to send in congratulations:
"Difficult times are at hand and ahead for private Christian higher education, and visionary leadership coupled with profound faith is what we need. I believe Mike's extensive experience in higher education, proven leadership gifts, and rapport with people is what we need to meet the challenges of a new century.
I've known Mike for almost 25 years - perish the thought! I assured him that Nyack got it right with his selection as president, and that he will have my full support and prayers."
Click here to read his obituary and to leave online audio and written condolences. In lieu of flowers, the Mellis family asks that contributions be made to the Patty Mellis Kline/Cathy Carter Mellis Scholarship fund at Nyack College, 1 South Blvd., Nyack, NY 10960, ATTN: Dona Schepens.
Please keep the Mellis family in your prayers.
- Commencement Guests Share Appreciation for Nyack's Mission
- Celebrating Commencement 2016
- Parents of Youth 7-18! Check Out Summer Sports Camps at Nyack
- Zahir Edwards (1996-2016)...President Scales Pays Tribute to a Nyack Warrior
- Nyack Represented at Education Financing Forum
- Nyack Students and Faculty Perform in Musikabend
- Meet Dr. Peter Park at the World Science Festival's Great Fish Count
- Nyack's 2016 Year-End Faculty/Staff Luncheon and Awards
- Nyack College 2016 Honorary Degree Recipient Featured in "The Village"
- The 2016 Celebration of Woman
- Nyack NYC School of Music Profs and Student in Jazz on the Plaza!
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary Commencement at the Westchester County Center
- Meet Nyack's 2016 Valedictorians!
- Battery Park Campus Now Owned by Nyack College
- A Celebration of Pentecost at Bedford Community Church
- Dr. David Ireland, Rockland County Day of Prayer Keynote Speaker
- Just Released! The Fine Print 2016
- Celebrating Nyack Honor Society Students
- Last Weekend Performances of Mozart's "The Magic Flute"
- West Side Story in Lower Manhattan
- Nyack Doing Community Well: Loving Our Neighbor
- Nyack's Inaugural Social Work Graduate Research Colloquium
- PRAXIS Connections Dinner for Emerging Leaders at Nyack NYC
- How Was Your Weekend?
- Criminal Justice Department Speaker: Mr. Anthony DeWolfe
- Browse Blog Archive>>