What Are They Taking Away From Nyack College?
Where was U.S. News & World Report? Kaplan's College Guide? Peterson's College Search? The Times Higher Education World University Rankings?
All of the evaluators of our nation's "best" colleges should have been in the Hudson Room of Boon Campus Center at Nyack's Seniors Brunch for residential students. They would have had their stomachs filled with a tasty buffet meal--but more importantly, their ears would have heard the sweet sound of satisfaction.
Christopher Smith, Rockland Campus Coordinator for Students Activities, selected graduates as they entered the room to share about their Nyack experience. So their comments were completely unrehearsed.
Hailing from towns and countries around the globe--these young men and women--some through tears--revealed the bonus they gained with their Nyack degree. What would they take away?
Here's a random sampling...
Sometimes I received answers to prayer or confirmation when Pastor Kelvin or Wanda (Spiritual Formation Director) prayed with me.
I learned so much spiritually--especially from PSF (Personal Spiritual Formation).
Words of truth and affirmation.
A sense of identity and growth.
I'm from New Orleans and my senior year Katrina hit. Being at Nyack helped me so much.
Spiritual freedom and the ability to express myself in ways that I couldn't before.
A deeper understanding of who I am.
To no longer live in fear.
The ability to open up and to accept love.
I'm taking myself. The way the faculty and staff invested in me...it's stuff that I can share with others.
President Michael Scales often makes the comment that Nyack is not focused on the test scores that students enter school with--but rather who the students are when they leave.
No PR wordsmithing could top what Nyack seniors spoken from the heart!
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- Nyack College School of Music December Concerts
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Alumna Alyssa Cruz Presents on Technology-Infused and Data-Driven Lesson Planning
- #GivingTuesday for Nyack's Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico
- Three Nyack Warriors on 2017 Men's Soccer All-Academic Team
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Browse Blog Archive>>