What Are They Taking Away From Nyack College?
Where was U.S. News & World Report? Kaplan's College Guide? Peterson's College Search? The Times Higher Education World University Rankings?
All of the evaluators of our nation's "best" colleges should have been in the Hudson Room of Boon Campus Center at Nyack's Seniors Brunch for residential students. They would have had their stomachs filled with a tasty buffet meal--but more importantly, their ears would have heard the sweet sound of satisfaction.
Christopher Smith, Rockland Campus Coordinator for Students Activities, selected graduates as they entered the room to share about their Nyack experience. So their comments were completely unrehearsed.
Hailing from towns and countries around the globe--these young men and women--some through tears--revealed the bonus they gained with their Nyack degree. What would they take away?
Here's a random sampling...
Sometimes I received answers to prayer or confirmation when Pastor Kelvin or Wanda (Spiritual Formation Director) prayed with me.
I learned so much spiritually--especially from PSF (Personal Spiritual Formation).
Words of truth and affirmation.
A sense of identity and growth.
I'm from New Orleans and my senior year Katrina hit. Being at Nyack helped me so much.
Spiritual freedom and the ability to express myself in ways that I couldn't before.
A deeper understanding of who I am.
To no longer live in fear.
The ability to open up and to accept love.
I'm taking myself. The way the faculty and staff invested in me...it's stuff that I can share with others.
President Michael Scales often makes the comment that Nyack is not focused on the test scores that students enter school with--but rather who the students are when they leave.
No PR wordsmithing could top what Nyack seniors spoken from the heart!
- OCTOBER 30: CSGE Colloquium Series on Environmental Sustainability
- October 31: Next Audition for Spring 2015 Production of "The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon"
- NY Times Hails Rear Admiral R. Timothy Ziemer (NC '65) as "The Malaria Fighter"
- RELEASE: Official Statement on Ebola Update - Week October 27
- Saturday, October 25--U of Pittsburgh Welcomes ATS Dean Ron Walborn for Bridge Forum: A Livestreamed Event!
- OCT 25: Dr. R. Steven Notley Featured Lecturer at Lanier Theological Library in Houston, TX
- NOV. 6 Forgive Us: Confessions of a Compromised Faith--Book and Panel Discussion
- NOV. 5-6: Dr. Kevin Danaher is Fall 2014 Nyack 's Scholars Symposium Plenary Speaker
- Velocity! Debuts at Nyack Rockland School of Music
- Unearthing Magdala--Nyack College Conference for Interfaith Scholars
- RELEASE: Official Nyack Statement on Ebola
- October 17: Nyack's School of Social Work and Community Connections for Youth Release Report
- Steinway Piano Dedication With Steinway & Sons President Ron Losby and CD-60 Biographer James Barron
- Miovski and Mansfield Families Music Hall Dedicated at Nyack NYC Campus
- Official Nyack College Statement Regarding Unknown Man on Campus September 23
- Browse Blog Archive>>