Remembering a Nyack College Historian: Rev. Robert L. Niklaus, Jr.
The campus community recently received the news that Missionary Training Institute alumnus, Rev. Robert L. Niklaus, Jr. passed away on March 13 at the age of 77.
The 1955 graduate, who was also an adjunct professor at Nyack, served for a dozen years on the mission field in Belgian, Congo. He was an associate editor for the precursor of Alliance Life, The Alliance Witness, and a journalist for many other publications, including the monthly National Religious Broadcasters magazine.
The celebrated wordsmith is known in the Nyack community for writing the historical piece, The School That Vision Built: Centennial Review of Nyack College 1882-1982. (Click here to read the document.) He also wrote several books on the global history of the Alliance and often traveled with a Christian & Missionary Alliance video team to film missionaries where they were serving.
Rev. Niklaus retired from the C&MA in 2000 and became pastor of Mullein Baptist Church in Lakeville, MA. In addition to his wife, Janet M. (McIllwaine) Niklaus, he is survived by three daughters: Karen Corinha of Marshfield, MA, Erica Butler of Overland Park, KA and Judy Poferl of Bartlett, IL; adopted children, David Trinn of Vietnam, Lan and Sophy Kong of Cambodia; a sister Mary L. Mapstone of Colorado Springs, CO; and a brother, the late William Niklaus. He is also survived by six nieces, eight nephews; and nine grandchildren.
His homegoing service will be held on March 20 at 2 pm at Mullein Hill Baptist Church followed by a burial in the church cemetery. Funeral arrangements will be handled by Waring-Sullivan Home of Memorial Tribute. Words of comfort can be posted at www.waring-sullivan.com.
- Sept. 10: Jewish and Christian Perspectives on Wealth and Responsibility to the Poor
- Nyack School of Music Students to Perform at City Hall in Manhattan
- A Call to Prayer September 1-7 by C&MA President John Stumbo
- True Confessions or A Half Century-Old Mystery to be Unveiled at Homecoming 2014!
- On the Passing of Mrs. Dianna Sanders
- Nyack NYC Student Leadership Development Retreat
- 2014 Global Engagement Lecture Features Director of REALIS Christian Center in Kiev, Ukraine
- College of Arts and Sciences Convenes Its Faculty/Staff Retreat
- Nyack History Professor Receives Columbia U Libraries Research Award
- Coming Soon: Nyack NYC and Rockland Student Orientations
- A Sunday Best: Nyack's Own Brightnie Jones
- Important Info for Returning Nyack NYC and Rockland Students
- The Independent Sector Highlights Nyack's STEM Education Participation
- Dr. Leonard Kageler Receives YCL "World Changers Award"
- RELEASE: Nyack's Fourth Year on the CHE "Great College to Work For" List
- Browse Blog Archive>>