Remembering a Nyack College Historian: Rev. Robert L. Niklaus, Jr.
The campus community recently received the news that Missionary Training Institute alumnus, Rev. Robert L. Niklaus, Jr. passed away on March 13 at the age of 77.
The 1955 graduate, who was also an adjunct professor at Nyack, served for a dozen years on the mission field in Belgian, Congo. He was an associate editor for the precursor of Alliance Life, The Alliance Witness, and a journalist for many other publications, including the monthly National Religious Broadcasters magazine.
The celebrated wordsmith is known in the Nyack community for writing the historical piece, The School That Vision Built: Centennial Review of Nyack College 1882-1982. (Click here to read the document.) He also wrote several books on the global history of the Alliance and often traveled with a Christian & Missionary Alliance video team to film missionaries where they were serving.
Rev. Niklaus retired from the C&MA in 2000 and became pastor of Mullein Baptist Church in Lakeville, MA. In addition to his wife, Janet M. (McIllwaine) Niklaus, he is survived by three daughters: Karen Corinha of Marshfield, MA, Erica Butler of Overland Park, KA and Judy Poferl of Bartlett, IL; adopted children, David Trinn of Vietnam, Lan and Sophy Kong of Cambodia; a sister Mary L. Mapstone of Colorado Springs, CO; and a brother, the late William Niklaus. He is also survived by six nieces, eight nephews; and nine grandchildren.
His homegoing service will be held on March 20 at 2 pm at Mullein Hill Baptist Church followed by a burial in the church cemetery. Funeral arrangements will be handled by Waring-Sullivan Home of Memorial Tribute. Words of comfort can be posted at www.waring-sullivan.com.
- OCT 24-26: Office of Spiritual Formation Hosts Prayer Summit with Dave Powers
- OCT 26: Fall Colloquium at Nyack Rockland on Civic Engagement
- NOV 2-3: Eighth Annual Nyack Scholars Symposium
- Education Conference at Alliance Theological Seminary with Dr. Eric Mazur
- Barb Shiffer: Well Done, Good and Faithful Servant!
- Get Tickets for Nyack's Production of West Side Story!
- Cast Your Vote for Josh and Jaclyn Blanchard!
- Remembering Tryphena Ramcharitar
- Every Day A Gift Concert, Music Prof and Transplant Recipient, Sungrai Sohn
- Service of Remembrance for Social Work Major Utopia Campbell
- ATS Alumna Karen Goff is VP at Agnes Scott College
- Alumna Rynae Rasley Joins U.S. Air Force Academy Coaching Staff
- Qian Ye, Nyack Alumna Featured in Global Mural Conference
- Celebrating the Service of a Pioneer: Drusila Nieves
- Listen Up! Nyack's WNYK 88.7FM
- 2016 CCCU Diversity Conference
- Coming to Nyack: A Science & Technology Entry Program (STEP) for Youth
- Holly Nichols: Keeping the Nyack Founder's Vision Alive
- Nyack President, Professors and Staff Are CCCU Diversity Conference Presenters
- Nyack Among Alliance Colleges Featured in Special Fall ALife
- A Prayer Walk From NYC to Chicago With ATS Alumnus Al Taylor
- Nyack Team at Sixth Annual Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge
- DEEPER LIFE SERIES: With Jon Tyson
- Seven Years Strong: Nyack's Rites of Passage Initiation Ceremony
- Nyack College Among Top Ethnically Diverse Regional Schools in the U.S.
- Browse Blog Archive>>