Remembering a Nyack College Historian: Rev. Robert L. Niklaus, Jr.
The campus community recently received the news that Missionary Training Institute alumnus, Rev. Robert L. Niklaus, Jr. passed away on March 13 at the age of 77.
The 1955 graduate, who was also an adjunct professor at Nyack, served for a dozen years on the mission field in Belgian, Congo. He was an associate editor for the precursor of Alliance Life, The Alliance Witness, and a journalist for many other publications, including the monthly National Religious Broadcasters magazine.
The celebrated wordsmith is known in the Nyack community for writing the historical piece, The School That Vision Built: Centennial Review of Nyack College 1882-1982. (Click here to read the document.) He also wrote several books on the global history of the Alliance and often traveled with a Christian & Missionary Alliance video team to film missionaries where they were serving.
Rev. Niklaus retired from the C&MA in 2000 and became pastor of Mullein Baptist Church in Lakeville, MA. In addition to his wife, Janet M. (McIllwaine) Niklaus, he is survived by three daughters: Karen Corinha of Marshfield, MA, Erica Butler of Overland Park, KA and Judy Poferl of Bartlett, IL; adopted children, David Trinn of Vietnam, Lan and Sophy Kong of Cambodia; a sister Mary L. Mapstone of Colorado Springs, CO; and a brother, the late William Niklaus. He is also survived by six nieces, eight nephews; and nine grandchildren.
His homegoing service will be held on March 20 at 2 pm at Mullein Hill Baptist Church followed by a burial in the church cemetery. Funeral arrangements will be handled by Waring-Sullivan Home of Memorial Tribute. Words of comfort can be posted at www.waring-sullivan.com.
- TODAY: "A Greener NYC" to Showcase a Nyack School of Music Performance at City Hall
- LAST DAY to Shop for Nyack Warrior Gear Online
- Nyack College Joins the Luis Palau Association CityServe Event in Manhattan
- RELEASE: Steinway Piano Dedication With Author/NY Times Reporter James Barron
- C&MA Church Planter Among Those Murdered in Guinea
- Alrick Brown's Award-winning Kinyarwanda Screening & Panel at Nyack NYC
- Dean Ron Walborn Interviewed on Unseminary.com
- RELEASE: October 20 Unearthing Magdala, An Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins Conference
- Report on AJCO-CSGE Panel: Wealth and Responsibility to the Poor
- 9/11 Thirteen Years Later
- Jewish and Christian Perspectives on Wealth and Responsibility to the Poor
- HEOP Continues at Nyack Rockland and Launches at Nyack NYC
- India Trip for Nyack School of Nursing Combines Study With Outreach
- A Call to Prayer September 1-7 by C&MA President John Stumbo
- True Confessions or A Half Century-Old Mystery to be Unveiled at Homecoming 2014!
- Browse Blog Archive>>