Arrangements for Celebrating the Life of Dr. Paul F. Liljestrand
Posted by Deborah.Walker on Friday February 18, 2011
Nyack College School of Music and the campus community are saddened to learn of the passing of Professor Emeritus Dr. Paul Liljestrand on Thursday, February 17, 2011. During his tenure at Nyack, beyond his role as an educator, he was a mentoring and loving presence for students and faculty alike.
A graduate of The Juilliard School and the School of Sacred Music at Union Theological Seminary, he was the conductor of the Nyack College Chorale and presented the group to an international audience, which included performances in the Ukraine, East Berlin, Poland, France, and Spain. Under his leadership, the Chorale performed at Carnegie Hall and Lincoln Center's Alice Tully Hall.
A noted composer of sacred music, the world premiere of his oratorio, O God Our Help was presented at the Norton Meyerson Symphony Center in Dallas, TX and the New York premiere was performed on the renowned Carnegie Hall in 1993.
At the time of his passing, Dr. Liljestrand was a resident of Thomasville, GA. He welcomed the Nyack College Chorale to perform its final spring 2006 concert at St. Thomas Episcopal Church, where he had served as organist and choirmaster.
An accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music, Middle States Association, and the Association of Christian Schools International, the Nyack School of Music is one of the college's oldest and most popular divisions. Paul Liljestrand's impact on the School of Music remains legendary.
Vistation hours will be held at Trinity Anglican Church, 325 West Jackson St., Thomasville, GA on Monday, February 21 from 5-7 p.m. The funeral service will be held at First Baptist Church, 210 North Broad St., Thomasville, GA on Tuesday, February 22 at 2 pm.
Contributions can be made to the Dr. Paul F. Liljestrand Memorial Scholarship Fund, Nyack College School of Music, 1 South Boulevard, Nyack, NY. Checks should be made payable to Nyack College. An online register can be signed at www.allenfh.com.
- August 31: Last Day for Early Bird Rates for CCCU 2016 Diversity Conference at Nyack NYC
- Register by September 5 for Nyack's Leadership Speaker Series
- Alumni Jazz Musicians RSVP ASAP For This Homecoming Gig
- Chelsea Geyer (NC '12) Golf Tournament Luncheon Speaker
- Remembering Lavern Dantzler, Nyack Alumna and Staff Member
- Amanda Halter, A Lady Warrior in Germany
- Celebrating the Life of Rick Santiago
- Jose Heredia (NC '09) at the Rose Nagelberg Theatre in Manhattan
- Carol Ann Freeman and Bonita D'Amil...Hearts for Hungary
- Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
- Nyack College Golf Classic Returns to Historic Saint Andrew's
- Memorial Service for ATS Alum Mark Xavier Lewis
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Nyack Reps in the Nation's Capital for Second Chance Pell Grant Meetings
- Nyack College Among Top 50 Most Diverse U.S. Campuses
- Willana Mack, Winner of the Tri-State Gospel Music Association Award
- Epoch Times Features Composer and Nyack Music Prof William Vollinger
- Associate Dean Luis Carlo Receives Kudos for Service to ATS
- JULY 10 & 14: Anthony Vaval ('16) Grad Featured on Dennis Dillon Show
- Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
- Days Away from Nyack's Historic Archaeological Dig
- Carlos Cuestas ('09), A Classical Guitar Act
- Browse Blog Archive>>