Arrangements for Celebrating the Life of Dr. Paul F. Liljestrand
Posted by Deborah.Walker on Friday February 18, 2011
Nyack College School of Music and the campus community are saddened to learn of the passing of Professor Emeritus Dr. Paul Liljestrand on Thursday, February 17, 2011. During his tenure at Nyack, beyond his role as an educator, he was a mentoring and loving presence for students and faculty alike.
A graduate of The Juilliard School and the School of Sacred Music at Union Theological Seminary, he was the conductor of the Nyack College Chorale and presented the group to an international audience, which included performances in the Ukraine, East Berlin, Poland, France, and Spain. Under his leadership, the Chorale performed at Carnegie Hall and Lincoln Center's Alice Tully Hall.
A noted composer of sacred music, the world premiere of his oratorio, O God Our Help was presented at the Norton Meyerson Symphony Center in Dallas, TX and the New York premiere was performed on the renowned Carnegie Hall in 1993.
At the time of his passing, Dr. Liljestrand was a resident of Thomasville, GA. He welcomed the Nyack College Chorale to perform its final spring 2006 concert at St. Thomas Episcopal Church, where he had served as organist and choirmaster.
An accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music, Middle States Association, and the Association of Christian Schools International, the Nyack School of Music is one of the college's oldest and most popular divisions. Paul Liljestrand's impact on the School of Music remains legendary.
Vistation hours will be held at Trinity Anglican Church, 325 West Jackson St., Thomasville, GA on Monday, February 21 from 5-7 p.m. The funeral service will be held at First Baptist Church, 210 North Broad St., Thomasville, GA on Tuesday, February 22 at 2 pm.
Contributions can be made to the Dr. Paul F. Liljestrand Memorial Scholarship Fund, Nyack College School of Music, 1 South Boulevard, Nyack, NY. Checks should be made payable to Nyack College. An online register can be signed at www.allenfh.com.
- NYC Student Government Association Presents Black History Month Showcase
- School of Music Invites Faculty and Staff to Join Chorale Performance
- Nyack Among Local Colleges Offering Scholarships to MLK Oratory Contest Winners
- 2016 New York State Student Aid Advocacy Day
- Rave Review for New Album by Nyack NYC Alumnus Glauco Lima
- Spring Semester 2016 Deeper Life Series With Dr. Stanley John
- Gone Too Soon: Jonathan Perez (NC '09)
- Nyack's School of Social Work and Praxis Connections Partner on Leadership Forums
- Remembering Nyack Professor Emeritus, Dr. Eldon "Woody" Woodcock (1930-2016)
- Empower 2016 Open House
- Rockland County Colleges Partner on a Black History Month MLK Oratory Contest
- Remembering Longtime Nyack Friend, Dr. Susan G. Gordon
- Nyack's Literary Journal, The Fine Print, Announces Submissions Deadline
- Neil Anderson Conference at Nyack Sold Out!
- January 29-30: Discipleship Conference With Neil Anderson at Nyack
- Nyack School of Music Profs and Alumni in Rockland Camerata Concert
- Nyack Alumnus Pens Book on First C&MA Mission Field
- 2016 Nyack Alumni & Friends Phonathon
- RELEASE: Nyack Receives Education Excellence Award from Beraca Baptist Church
- Remembering Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Basketball Teams Visit Upper Nyack Elementary School
- Nyack's Social Justice Celebration--An Important Change
- Dr. Elizabeth Swanson Voted a National Collegiate Choral Organization Officer
- Joseph and Mary of Bethlehem at ATS
- Congratulations to Our December 2015 Graduates!
- Browse Blog Archive>>