Arrangements for Celebrating the Life of Dr. Paul F. Liljestrand
Posted by Deborah.Walker on Friday February 18, 2011
Nyack College School of Music and the campus community are saddened to learn of the passing of Professor Emeritus Dr. Paul Liljestrand on Thursday, February 17, 2011. During his tenure at Nyack, beyond his role as an educator, he was a mentoring and loving presence for students and faculty alike.
A graduate of The Juilliard School and the School of Sacred Music at Union Theological Seminary, he was the conductor of the Nyack College Chorale and presented the group to an international audience, which included performances in the Ukraine, East Berlin, Poland, France, and Spain. Under his leadership, the Chorale performed at Carnegie Hall and Lincoln Center's Alice Tully Hall.
A noted composer of sacred music, the world premiere of his oratorio, O God Our Help was presented at the Norton Meyerson Symphony Center in Dallas, TX and the New York premiere was performed on the renowned Carnegie Hall in 1993.
At the time of his passing, Dr. Liljestrand was a resident of Thomasville, GA. He welcomed the Nyack College Chorale to perform its final spring 2006 concert at St. Thomas Episcopal Church, where he had served as organist and choirmaster.
An accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music, Middle States Association, and the Association of Christian Schools International, the Nyack School of Music is one of the college's oldest and most popular divisions. Paul Liljestrand's impact on the School of Music remains legendary.
Vistation hours will be held at Trinity Anglican Church, 325 West Jackson St., Thomasville, GA on Monday, February 21 from 5-7 p.m. The funeral service will be held at First Baptist Church, 210 North Broad St., Thomasville, GA on Tuesday, February 22 at 2 pm.
Contributions can be made to the Dr. Paul F. Liljestrand Memorial Scholarship Fund, Nyack College School of Music, 1 South Boulevard, Nyack, NY. Checks should be made payable to Nyack College. An online register can be signed at www.allenfh.com.
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- Nyack College School of Music December Concerts
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Alumna Alyssa Cruz Presents on Technology-Infused and Data-Driven Lesson Planning
- #GivingTuesday for Nyack's Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico
- Three Nyack Warriors on 2017 Men's Soccer All-Academic Team
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Browse Blog Archive>>