Social Justice Day Awards to Rockland Leaders
As a prelude to celebrating the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday, Nyack College recently hosted its Sixth Annual Social Justice Day luncheon on the Rockland County campus in President's Hall of Shuman Hall.
A reception was held in the office of President Michael G. Scales to welcome local government officials, leaders of community organizations, and residents of Rockland County, as well as relatives of the luncheon honorees.
The 2011 Social Justice Award was presented to the Honorable Harriet Cornell, chairperson of the Rockland County Legislature and to Dr. Stella Marrs, community liaison specialist for the Rockland County Human Rights Commission.
Two posthumous awards paid tribute to the vital work of two elected officials who both passed away in 2010. New York State Senator Thomas P. Morahan and the Honorable William "Bill" Darden, vice chairman of the Rockland County Legislature were recognized. Ms. Joan Silvestri was on hand to accept the honor for her father, Sen. Morahan; Ms. Lenora McCabe, accepted on behalf of the Darden family. As engraved on the plaques, the awards were presented "with sincere appreciation for leadership and commitment to building a better Rockland County community for all citizens."
- RELEASE: Nyack's Fourth Year on the CHE "Great College to Work For" List
- The Nations Come to Us: Fukuyama Alliance Church Visits Nyack
- Nyack's Welcome Mat for Hungary
- Nyack College Remembers the Late John Lawrence Seigenthaler
- Nyack College, A Partner Instructor School for Yale's Center for Scientific Teaching
- Nyack College Venue for County Legislature's Forum
- Nyack Nursing Professor and Student Publish in Journal of Nursing
- Alliance World Fellowship Committee Meets at Nyack/ATS Rockland
- Is Nyack Affordable?
- JUNE 13 & 14: Steinway & Sons Sponsor Hudson River Pianofest at Nyack College
- JUNE 11: Nyack's 2014 Golf Classic
- Nyack College Social Work Major Receives NPRDP Scholarship
- RELEASE: An Award-Winning 2013-2104 for Women Warriors
- Nyack's Dr. Steve Notley on Archaeological Survey in Israel
- Nyack Campus Community Remembers Ralph G. Ellenberger (1934-2014)
- Browse Blog Archive>>