Social Justice Day Awards to Rockland Leaders
As a prelude to celebrating the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday, Nyack College recently hosted its Sixth Annual Social Justice Day luncheon on the Rockland County campus in President's Hall of Shuman Hall.
A reception was held in the office of President Michael G. Scales to welcome local government officials, leaders of community organizations, and residents of Rockland County, as well as relatives of the luncheon honorees.
The 2011 Social Justice Award was presented to the Honorable Harriet Cornell, chairperson of the Rockland County Legislature and to Dr. Stella Marrs, community liaison specialist for the Rockland County Human Rights Commission.
Two posthumous awards paid tribute to the vital work of two elected officials who both passed away in 2010. New York State Senator Thomas P. Morahan and the Honorable William "Bill" Darden, vice chairman of the Rockland County Legislature were recognized. Ms. Joan Silvestri was on hand to accept the honor for her father, Sen. Morahan; Ms. Lenora McCabe, accepted on behalf of the Darden family. As engraved on the plaques, the awards were presented "with sincere appreciation for leadership and commitment to building a better Rockland County community for all citizens."
- Storm Glautier Named CACC Rep to the National Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
- December 3 Amasi Trio Concert Rescheduled for Spring 2015
- DECEMBER 4: Trinity Church Wall Street Choir Series Features Nyack NYC Chorale
- Memorial Concerts Honoring Professor Emeritus Ralph Ellenberger (1934-2014)
- Leadership Rockland Multicultural Communities Day Kicks Off at Nyack College
- Chamberfest at Nyack Rockland School of Music
- Nyack Rockland Colloquium Series Features Dr. K. Kale Yu
- Fall Concerts at Nyack College
- NYACK NYC: Forgive Us...Confessions of a Compromised Faith--Book and Panel Discussion
- Fall 2014 Nyack's Scholars Symposium
- Nyack Students Up For The Challenge
- The Jubilee Chorus Performs at The Bowery Mission
- Auditions for Spring 2015 Production of "The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon"
- OCTOBER 30: CSGE Colloquium Series on Environmental Sustainability
- NY Times Hails Rear Admiral R. Timothy Ziemer (NC '65) as "The Malaria Fighter"
- Browse Blog Archive>>