Social Justice Day Awards to Rockland Leaders
As a prelude to celebrating the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday, Nyack College recently hosted its Sixth Annual Social Justice Day luncheon on the Rockland County campus in President's Hall of Shuman Hall.
A reception was held in the office of President Michael G. Scales to welcome local government officials, leaders of community organizations, and residents of Rockland County, as well as relatives of the luncheon honorees.
The 2011 Social Justice Award was presented to the Honorable Harriet Cornell, chairperson of the Rockland County Legislature and to Dr. Stella Marrs, community liaison specialist for the Rockland County Human Rights Commission.
Two posthumous awards paid tribute to the vital work of two elected officials who both passed away in 2010. New York State Senator Thomas P. Morahan and the Honorable William "Bill" Darden, vice chairman of the Rockland County Legislature were recognized. Ms. Joan Silvestri was on hand to accept the honor for her father, Sen. Morahan; Ms. Lenora McCabe, accepted on behalf of the Darden family. As engraved on the plaques, the awards were presented "with sincere appreciation for leadership and commitment to building a better Rockland County community for all citizens."
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Nyack's Spring Production: The Importance of Being Earnest
- Nyack Alumna, Kathia Benitez Is Director of sustainNU program at Northwestern University
- Alliance Graduate School of Counseling Reunion at NYC Campus
- Bach's 332nd Birthday Bash
- Nyack College Opera Workshop Presents Verdi's "La Traviata"
- The Gates Way to Medieval Times
- March 18: Hudson River Pianofest 2017 at Nyack College
- President Michael G. Scales to Begin New Term on CICU Board
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack School of Music Students on Harry Connick Jr. Show
- What Is Love? Nyack Rockland Artists Answer the Question
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Founder/CEO Evelyn Bautista-Miller Is CSGE Colloquium Speaker
- ATS Missions Retreat at Mount Crescent House
- Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- Fifth Anniversary Celebration & Silent Auction to Benefit Empower Program
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- Browse Blog Archive>>