Social Justice Day: A Nyack College Tradition
Nyack College will host its annual Social Justice Day Luncheon on Friday, January 14 at 12:15 p.m. in Shuman Hall on the Rockland County campus. This year the Social Justice Award will be presented to the Honorable Harriet Cornell, chairperson of the Rockland County Legislature and the first woman to serve in this role for four consecutive terms. A second Social Justice award will be presented to Dr. Stella Marrs, community liasion specialist for Rockland County's Human Rights Commission. Dr. Marrs was the former executive director and CEO of the Martin Luther King Multipurpose Center in Spring Valley, NY for 21 years and is a Rockland County Human Rights Hall of Fame inductee.
Two posthumous tributes will be announced at the luncheon. The late New York State Senator Thomas P. Morahan will be recognized. His lengthy career in local government began in 1977. He served Rockland resident as a member of the 96th district of the New York State Assembly and the Rockland County Legislature. In 1999 he won the race for the New York State Senator in the 38th senatorial district and served for five terms. Senator Morahan passed away in July 2010. A second posthumous tribute will also be paid to the Honorable William "Bill" Darden, vice chairman of the Rockland County Legislature, who passed away in October 2010. He served Rockland citizens in a number of civic and community roles. Mr. Darden retired as an educator from the East Ramapo School District in 2000.
The Social Justice Day Luncheon is a Nyack College tradition that exemplifies the institutional core value of social relevance. This platform gathers bridge-builders in Rockland County who join the campus community in a celebration that serves as a prelude to the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.
- 2016 New York State Student Aid Advocacy Day
- School of Music Invites Faculty and Staff to Join Chorale Performance
- Rave Review for New Album by Nyack NYC Alumnus Glauco Lima
- Spring Semester 2016 Deeper Life Series With Dr. Stanley John
- Gone Too Soon: Jonathan Perez (NC '09)
- Nyack's School of Social Work and Praxis Connections Partner on Leadership Forums
- Remembering Nyack Professor Emeritus, Dr. Eldon "Woody" Woodcock (1930-2016)
- Empower 2016 Open House
- Rockland County Colleges Partner on a Black History Month MLK Oratory Contest
- Remembering Longtime Nyack Friend, Dr. Susan G. Gordon
- Nyack's Literary Journal, The Fine Print, Announces Submissions Deadline
- Neil Anderson Conference at Nyack Sold Out!
- January 29-30: Discipleship Conference With Neil Anderson at Nyack
- Nyack School of Music Profs and Alumni in Rockland Camerata Concert
- Nyack Alumnus Pens Book on First C&MA Mission Field
- 2016 Nyack Alumni & Friends Phonathon
- RELEASE: Nyack Receives Education Excellence Award from Beraca Baptist Church
- Remembering Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Basketball Teams Visit Upper Nyack Elementary School
- Nyack's Social Justice Celebration--An Important Change
- Dr. Elizabeth Swanson Voted a National Collegiate Choral Organization Officer
- Joseph and Mary of Bethlehem at ATS
- Congratulations to Our December 2015 Graduates!
- Conference on the Role of Faith in the Practice of Medicine
- Nyack Women's Soccer Team Assists With YMCA Clinics
- Browse Blog Archive>>