Social Justice Day: A Nyack College Tradition
Nyack College will host its annual Social Justice Day Luncheon on Friday, January 14 at 12:15 p.m. in Shuman Hall on the Rockland County campus. This year the Social Justice Award will be presented to the Honorable Harriet Cornell, chairperson of the Rockland County Legislature and the first woman to serve in this role for four consecutive terms. A second Social Justice award will be presented to Dr. Stella Marrs, community liasion specialist for Rockland County's Human Rights Commission. Dr. Marrs was the former executive director and CEO of the Martin Luther King Multipurpose Center in Spring Valley, NY for 21 years and is a Rockland County Human Rights Hall of Fame inductee.
Two posthumous tributes will be announced at the luncheon. The late New York State Senator Thomas P. Morahan will be recognized. His lengthy career in local government began in 1977. He served Rockland resident as a member of the 96th district of the New York State Assembly and the Rockland County Legislature. In 1999 he won the race for the New York State Senator in the 38th senatorial district and served for five terms. Senator Morahan passed away in July 2010. A second posthumous tribute will also be paid to the Honorable William "Bill" Darden, vice chairman of the Rockland County Legislature, who passed away in October 2010. He served Rockland citizens in a number of civic and community roles. Mr. Darden retired as an educator from the East Ramapo School District in 2000.
The Social Justice Day Luncheon is a Nyack College tradition that exemplifies the institutional core value of social relevance. This platform gathers bridge-builders in Rockland County who join the campus community in a celebration that serves as a prelude to the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.
- FEB 24: Prof. Shelley Jameson and School of Music Alumnae in Concert
- FEB 25: Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- FEB 27: Dr. Anita Underwood, a WMCA Networking Breakfast Panelist
- FEB 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- FEB 28 Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Browse Blog Archive>>