Social Justice Day: A Nyack College Tradition
Nyack College will host its annual Social Justice Day Luncheon on Friday, January 14 at 12:15 p.m. in Shuman Hall on the Rockland County campus. This year the Social Justice Award will be presented to the Honorable Harriet Cornell, chairperson of the Rockland County Legislature and the first woman to serve in this role for four consecutive terms. A second Social Justice award will be presented to Dr. Stella Marrs, community liasion specialist for Rockland County's Human Rights Commission. Dr. Marrs was the former executive director and CEO of the Martin Luther King Multipurpose Center in Spring Valley, NY for 21 years and is a Rockland County Human Rights Hall of Fame inductee.
Two posthumous tributes will be announced at the luncheon. The late New York State Senator Thomas P. Morahan will be recognized. His lengthy career in local government began in 1977. He served Rockland resident as a member of the 96th district of the New York State Assembly and the Rockland County Legislature. In 1999 he won the race for the New York State Senator in the 38th senatorial district and served for five terms. Senator Morahan passed away in July 2010. A second posthumous tribute will also be paid to the Honorable William "Bill" Darden, vice chairman of the Rockland County Legislature, who passed away in October 2010. He served Rockland citizens in a number of civic and community roles. Mr. Darden retired as an educator from the East Ramapo School District in 2000.
The Social Justice Day Luncheon is a Nyack College tradition that exemplifies the institutional core value of social relevance. This platform gathers bridge-builders in Rockland County who join the campus community in a celebration that serves as a prelude to the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Udo Middelmann: Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- Nyack College Scholarships for Winners of Feb 4 MLK Oratory Contest
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Nyack's School of Music Headlines Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Global Service-Learning Trip in Cuba with Drs. Ron and Wanda Walborn
- Winterim: ATS in Israel with Dr. Bryan Widbin
- Globetrotting--the Nyack Way
- Soo-il Lee Recognized by Korean American Behavioral Health Association
- In Memoriam [Ring out, wild bells] by Lord Alfred Tennyson
- What You Can Discover at Nyack
- Steve Gardner (NC '87; ATS '94) Making Snowflakes
- Marcus Jugenheimer: A Major in God's Army
- The Gift of Mentoring at Nyack for Sneha Chrispal
- The Nyack Story: More Than Numbers by Provost David Turk
- Dr. Gerard Becker Co-authors Award Winning Paper
- Staff Highlight: Mr. Dan Bailey, Director of Admissions, Rockland Campus
- A Love Gift at Home for the Holidays
- West Side Story Off-Broadway...A Successful Eight-Show Run
- Nyack Rockland School of Music Winter Concert
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Browse Blog Archive>>