Nyack Co-sponsors February 5 MLK Oratory Contest
Nyack College and Rockland County's Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Committee will co-host a Martin Luther King Oratory Contest. The event for local youth, sponsored by Orange and Rockland Utilities, will be held on Saturday, February 5 at 7:00 p.m. at the Nyack Center, 58 Depew Avenue in Nyack. The contest will be among thousands of nationwide events that honor the 1964 Nobel Peace Prize winner who was assassinated in April 1968.
Middle school through high school students, ages 12-17, from Rockland schools who participate should prepare to deliver a three to five minute segment of a speech composed by Dr. King. Delivery of the speeches will be judged on content, comprehension of the material, interpretation, ability to stay within the allotted time, and overall presentation. Scholarship money will be awarded to the winners who plan to attend Nyack College, Dominican College, St. Thomas Aquinas College, or SUNY Rockland Community College. First place prize is $1,000; second place prize, $500; and third place prize, $250. In addition, awards of $500, $300, and $200 are available to students who will attend other colleges and universities.
The deadline for registration is Thursday, February 3.
Refreshments and live entertainment will also be a part of the celebration.
To register and to get further details, contact Nyack College Executive Director of Community Relations Earl Miller at 845.675.4791 or via email at email@example.com.
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Nyack's Spring Production: The Importance of Being Earnest
- Nyack Alumna, Kathia Benitez Is Director of sustainNU program at Northwestern University
- Alliance Graduate School of Counseling Reunion at NYC Campus
- Bach's 332nd Birthday Bash
- Nyack College Opera Workshop Presents Verdi's "La Traviata"
- The Gates Way to Medieval Times
- March 18: Hudson River Pianofest 2017 at Nyack College
- President Michael G. Scales to Begin New Term on CICU Board
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack School of Music Students on Harry Connick Jr. Show
- What Is Love? Nyack Rockland Artists Answer the Question
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Founder/CEO Evelyn Bautista-Miller Is CSGE Colloquium Speaker
- ATS Missions Retreat at Mount Crescent House
- Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- Fifth Anniversary Celebration & Silent Auction to Benefit Empower Program
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- Browse Blog Archive>>