Nyack Co-sponsors February 5 MLK Oratory Contest
Nyack College and Rockland County's Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Committee will co-host a Martin Luther King Oratory Contest. The event for local youth, sponsored by Orange and Rockland Utilities, will be held on Saturday, February 5 at 7:00 p.m. at the Nyack Center, 58 Depew Avenue in Nyack. The contest will be among thousands of nationwide events that honor the 1964 Nobel Peace Prize winner who was assassinated in April 1968.
Middle school through high school students, ages 12-17, from Rockland schools who participate should prepare to deliver a three to five minute segment of a speech composed by Dr. King. Delivery of the speeches will be judged on content, comprehension of the material, interpretation, ability to stay within the allotted time, and overall presentation. Scholarship money will be awarded to the winners who plan to attend Nyack College, Dominican College, St. Thomas Aquinas College, or SUNY Rockland Community College. First place prize is $1,000; second place prize, $500; and third place prize, $250. In addition, awards of $500, $300, and $200 are available to students who will attend other colleges and universities.
The deadline for registration is Thursday, February 3.
Refreshments and live entertainment will also be a part of the celebration.
To register and to get further details, contact Nyack College Executive Director of Community Relations Earl Miller at 845.675.4791 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Nyack's School of Education: National Recognition...Times 9
- NYC Student Government Association Presents Black History Month Showcase
- School of Music Invites Faculty and Staff to Join Chorale Performance
- Nyack Among Local Colleges Offering Scholarships to MLK Oratory Contest Winners
- 2016 New York State Student Aid Advocacy Day
- Rave Review for New Album by Nyack NYC Alumnus Glauco Lima
- Spring Semester 2016 Deeper Life Series With Dr. Stanley John
- Gone Too Soon: Jonathan Perez (NC '09)
- Nyack's School of Social Work and Praxis Connections Partner on Leadership Forums
- Remembering Nyack Professor Emeritus, Dr. Eldon "Woody" Woodcock (1930-2016)
- Empower 2016 Open House
- Rockland County Colleges Partner on a Black History Month MLK Oratory Contest
- Remembering Longtime Nyack Friend, Dr. Susan G. Gordon
- Nyack's Literary Journal, The Fine Print, Announces Submissions Deadline
- Neil Anderson Conference at Nyack Sold Out!
- January 29-30: Discipleship Conference With Neil Anderson at Nyack
- Nyack School of Music Profs and Alumni in Rockland Camerata Concert
- Nyack Alumnus Pens Book on First C&MA Mission Field
- 2016 Nyack Alumni & Friends Phonathon
- RELEASE: Nyack Receives Education Excellence Award from Beraca Baptist Church
- Remembering Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Basketball Teams Visit Upper Nyack Elementary School
- Nyack's Social Justice Celebration--An Important Change
- Dr. Elizabeth Swanson Voted a National Collegiate Choral Organization Officer
- Joseph and Mary of Bethlehem at ATS
- Browse Blog Archive>>