Nyack Co-sponsors February 5 MLK Oratory Contest
Nyack College and Rockland County's Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Committee will co-host a Martin Luther King Oratory Contest. The event for local youth, sponsored by Orange and Rockland Utilities, will be held on Saturday, February 5 at 7:00 p.m. at the Nyack Center, 58 Depew Avenue in Nyack. The contest will be among thousands of nationwide events that honor the 1964 Nobel Peace Prize winner who was assassinated in April 1968.
Middle school through high school students, ages 12-17, from Rockland schools who participate should prepare to deliver a three to five minute segment of a speech composed by Dr. King. Delivery of the speeches will be judged on content, comprehension of the material, interpretation, ability to stay within the allotted time, and overall presentation. Scholarship money will be awarded to the winners who plan to attend Nyack College, Dominican College, St. Thomas Aquinas College, or SUNY Rockland Community College. First place prize is $1,000; second place prize, $500; and third place prize, $250. In addition, awards of $500, $300, and $200 are available to students who will attend other colleges and universities.
The deadline for registration is Thursday, February 3.
Refreshments and live entertainment will also be a part of the celebration.
To register and to get further details, contact Nyack College Executive Director of Community Relations Earl Miller at 845.675.4791 or via email at email@example.com.
- Men's Golf Team Headed to 2015 NCAA Championship Competition
- Two Operas! Two Days! Prof. Shelley Jameson, Director
- LAST WEEKEND for Spring Production of The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon
- English Chairman Announces Publication of Fine Print
- Career Talk on Banking at Nyack College Rockland
- RELEASE: Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary Commencement 2015
- School of Music in Concert at Avery Fisher Hall, Lincoln Center
- 2016 Global Service-Learning Trips For Nyack Students
- Nyack College Rockland Chorale Spring Concert
- Nyack College Student Research Conference Winners
- Service With a Smile #NyackCityServe
- Pianist Johnny Walsh In Concert on Nyack Rockland Campus
- Music Students Minister at Morristown's Market Street Mission
- ATS Colloquium On State and Religion: The Case of Israel
- Live from New York...Nyack's School of Music at Avery Fisher Hall, Lincoln Center!
- Browse Blog Archive>>