Nyack Co-sponsors February 5 MLK Oratory Contest
Nyack College and Rockland County's Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Committee will co-host a Martin Luther King Oratory Contest. The event for local youth, sponsored by Orange and Rockland Utilities, will be held on Saturday, February 5 at 7:00 p.m. at the Nyack Center, 58 Depew Avenue in Nyack. The contest will be among thousands of nationwide events that honor the 1964 Nobel Peace Prize winner who was assassinated in April 1968.
Middle school through high school students, ages 12-17, from Rockland schools who participate should prepare to deliver a three to five minute segment of a speech composed by Dr. King. Delivery of the speeches will be judged on content, comprehension of the material, interpretation, ability to stay within the allotted time, and overall presentation. Scholarship money will be awarded to the winners who plan to attend Nyack College, Dominican College, St. Thomas Aquinas College, or SUNY Rockland Community College. First place prize is $1,000; second place prize, $500; and third place prize, $250. In addition, awards of $500, $300, and $200 are available to students who will attend other colleges and universities.
The deadline for registration is Thursday, February 3.
Refreshments and live entertainment will also be a part of the celebration.
To register and to get further details, contact Nyack College Executive Director of Community Relations Earl Miller at 845.675.4791 or via email at email@example.com.
- American Cancer Society Rates Nyack a Top-Ranking NY Institution With Tobacco-Free Policies
- Grace Prescriptions: Seminars for Healthcare Professionals at Nyack NYC
- December School of Music Concerts in Manhattan and in Rockland
- Nyack College Welcomes 2016 Leadership Rockland Cohort for Multi-cultural Communities Day
- Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Conference Proceedings Published
- Chad Needs Your Votes! (Every Day Until November 30)
- School of Education Authors Release Books on Self-Regulation
- Chelsea Geyer ('12) Director of DC127, a Colloquium Guest Speaker
- ATS Alum and Author, Dimas Salaberrios, in Paris
- New Partnership With An Old Friend: Pastor Lesly Milord
- Nyack's Brittany Cruz Heads to Practice With Women's Olympic Pre-National Team
- Reading the New Testament as Second Temple Jewish Literature
- Author Deb Hirsch of Missio Alliance at Nyack/ATS
- Nyack Salutes Our Nation's Veterans
- 7th Scholars Symposium: In Search of the Meaning of Work
- A Nyack College First: Student Cyber Security Team
- A Showcase of Academic Excellence: Nyack's Scholars Symposium
- Fulbright Ambassador Brian Polkinghorn Visits Nyack College
- National Nursing Exam Scores on a Strong and Steady Rise
- Alumni of the Year Award Honorees Across the Decades
- Nyack on U.S. News & World Report 2016 Best Colleges Diversity List
- AWF President Visits Nyack/ATS Rockland
- MA in Mental Health Counseling Online Approved by NYS Education Department
- Peter Irvine, 2015 School of Business and Leadership Keynote Speaker
- Official Statement in Response to Media Announced Law Suit
- Browse Blog Archive>>