Nyack Co-sponsors February 5 MLK Oratory Contest
Nyack College and Rockland County's Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Committee will co-host a Martin Luther King Oratory Contest. The event for local youth, sponsored by Orange and Rockland Utilities, will be held on Saturday, February 5 at 7:00 p.m. at the Nyack Center, 58 Depew Avenue in Nyack. The contest will be among thousands of nationwide events that honor the 1964 Nobel Peace Prize winner who was assassinated in April 1968.
Middle school through high school students, ages 12-17, from Rockland schools who participate should prepare to deliver a three to five minute segment of a speech composed by Dr. King. Delivery of the speeches will be judged on content, comprehension of the material, interpretation, ability to stay within the allotted time, and overall presentation. Scholarship money will be awarded to the winners who plan to attend Nyack College, Dominican College, St. Thomas Aquinas College, or SUNY Rockland Community College. First place prize is $1,000; second place prize, $500; and third place prize, $250. In addition, awards of $500, $300, and $200 are available to students who will attend other colleges and universities.
The deadline for registration is Thursday, February 3.
Refreshments and live entertainment will also be a part of the celebration.
To register and to get further details, contact Nyack College Executive Director of Community Relations Earl Miller at 845.675.4791 or via email at [email protected]
- Feb 22: Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- FEB 24: Prof. Shelley Jameson and School of Music Alumnae in Concert
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- February 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Nyack's WNYK 88.7 FM Warrior Radio Airs Black History Month Features
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium Series
- Athletes Leadership Conference at Nyack College
- How a Nyack Sports Hero Was Celebrated
- First Hudson Link/Nyack College Graduation at Taconic Correctional Facility
- January 29-31: Deeper Life Series Speaker is Dr. Jonathan Shaw
- "Dan Bailey Day" at Nyack
- Head Men's Basketball Coach Jason Crafton on WNYK
- WNYK 88.7FM January Alumni Spotlight: Orlando Suazo
- 2018 Empower Retreat Attendees From 51 Churches and Seven States
- Nyack Scholarship and Global Engagement Director Heads Peace and Hope International
- School of Music Art Series Features Pianist Hui-Mei Lin
- Browse Blog Archive>>