Thanksgiving for the Life of Dr. Paul Siu (1951-2010)
Wednesday, November 10 was a pre-Veteran's Day celebration honoring a valiant soldier for the Lord--Dr. Paul Siu, the beloved Alliance Theological Seminary professor.
The campus community gathered to face the bittersweet reality that Dr. Siu had gone home to be with the Jesus he so loved and inspired others to love more deeply.
Tributes were poignant and each unique, yet a common thread wove a tapestry of sentiments that will be a comforting covering for the campus. (One student paid homage with the moving tribute attached here.) The devoted husband and father, the scholar, the mentor, the friend, the colleague, the shepherd--and above all, the radical lover of Christ was celebrated.
Praise for this man was spoken powerfully. Warm tears flowed freely. Hymns were sung sweetly. And then a candle lighting ceremony was like a final lesson from a master teacher.
Faculty, staff, students, alumni, and friends of Nyack College and ATS filed across a stage to take their unlit tea lights to touch the flame of a pillar candle.
Slowly the pillar candle was encircled by dozens of tea lights, but the pillar's flame did not hold. Though its light was out, celebrants used each others tea lights to ignite the wick.
All agree, that our modern day Apostle Paul heard Jesus say, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant!" And now his legacy continues. Just as Dr. Siu ignited flames in the lives of hundreds of students and even colleagues, his passionate flame can continue to go from heart to heart as we offer thanksgiving for the life of Dr. Paul Siu.
- Nyack Baseball Team Collecting Baseball Gloves for Sports Clinic in Mexico
- Global Service-Learning 2015
- Peace and Hope Visit Nyack Rockland
- Hudson Link, TEDxSing Sing and Nyack College in New York Times Feature
- Sophia Institute Conference Features Nyack NYC Faculty
- Mandela Day Celebration at Nyack
- Storm Glautier Named CACC Rep to the National Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
- Memorial Concerts Honoring Professor Emeritus Ralph Ellenberger (1934-2014)
- Leadership Rockland Multicultural Communities Day Kicks Off at Nyack College
- Chamberfest at Nyack Rockland School of Music
- Nyack Rockland Colloquium Series Features Dr. K. Kale Yu
- NYACK NYC: Forgive Us...Confessions of a Compromised Faith--Book and Panel Discussion
- Fall 2014 Nyack's Scholars Symposium
- Nyack Students Up For The Challenge
- The Jubilee Chorus Performs at The Bowery Mission
- Browse Blog Archive>>