Scholarly Symposium Showcases Nyack Faculty Research
The Rockland County campus of Nyack College will be the site of the Fall 2010 Scholars Symposium on Wednesday, October 6 beginning at 9:00 a.m. with the plenary speaker, RNDr. Martin Palouš (pictured above). Dr. Palouš has been the United Nations Ambassador to the Czech Republic since 2006. In addition to his Doctor of Natural Sciences in chemistry from Charles University in Prague, as well as degrees in philosophy and social sciences, he also received an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from Nyack College at Commencement 2010.
Nearly 20 faculty members from Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary will be present papers that they have published in journals or presented at other scholarly conferences. Nyack students are required to attend and write response papers as a part of their curriculum.
Among the other presenters being showcased at this symposium will be Nyack student, Elizabeth Rigotti, who is a double major in religion and English. Dr. Larry Poston, department chair of religion in the College of Arts & Sciences, Division of Humanities, says of Ms. Rigotti, “I was so impressed with her ability…that she was able to talk me into letting her take my senior seminar during the spring semester of her freshman year. She received the highest grade in the class of all seniors.” The paper that Dr. Poston and Ms. Rigotti co-wrote, “Christian Fiction: Innovative Contextualization or Trojan Horse for Heresy?” was presented at the American Academy of Religion’s regional conference in Ottawa, Canada last May.
This is the second symposium hosted on the Nyack College campus this year, which is coordinated by the Faculty Scholarly Dialogue Committee. Members include Dr. Leonard Kageler, Dr. Dion Harrigan, Dr. Amy Davis, Dr. James Danaher, Dr. Susanne Hartl, and Dr. Vilma Balmaceda.
Attached file contains the entire plenary speech.
- Request for Prayer: Hurricane Maria Approaches Puerto Rico
- EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
- Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- SEPT: 18-20 Stephen Fowler, Deeper Life Series Speaker
- SEPT 18: Interview of Building 429's Jason Roy to Re-air on WNYK 88FM
- Fall 2017 Colloquium Series Hosted by Nyack's Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement
- Nyack College on U.S. News & World Report 2018 #BestColleges List
- SEPT 28: Biblical Archaeology Society and Nyack's Center for The Study of Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins NYC Event
- Free Coney Island Concert Nyack's Damien Sneed with Gospel Great, Shirley Caesar
- Nyack Rockland Dean's Personal 9/11 Reflection
- ATS Dean in Vietnam to Teach First Seminary Graduate Level Course
- UPDATE: ATS/Nyack Campus in Puerto Rico
- Diversity Matters: Race, Ethnicity, & The Future of Christian Higher Education
- Listening Party for ISAIAH VELEZ
- Jesus Week Appreciation Banquet, Sept. 7 @6:30 PM
- Youth Pastors Fellowship at Nyack College NYC
- Dan Bailey Named to the CACC Hall of Fame
- An NCLEX-RN Exam Victory for Class of 2017 Alumnae
- Nyack College - A Borderline Music Festival Sponsor
- Andrew Iwaskow, Nyack Alumnus Named Executive VP at Tailored Brands, Inc.
- In a World of Darkness: Light...and Love
- 2017 Top Online Colleges for Student Economic Mobility
- Rev. G. Palmer Pardington, III (1939-2017) to Be Memorialized
- New Testament City of Bethsaida Unearthed?
- Browse Blog Archive>>