Scholarly Symposium Showcases Nyack Faculty Research
The Rockland County campus of Nyack College will be the site of the Fall 2010 Scholars Symposium on Wednesday, October 6 beginning at 9:00 a.m. with the plenary speaker, RNDr. Martin Palouš (pictured above). Dr. Palouš has been the United Nations Ambassador to the Czech Republic since 2006. In addition to his Doctor of Natural Sciences in chemistry from Charles University in Prague, as well as degrees in philosophy and social sciences, he also received an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from Nyack College at Commencement 2010.
Nearly 20 faculty members from Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary will be present papers that they have published in journals or presented at other scholarly conferences. Nyack students are required to attend and write response papers as a part of their curriculum.
Among the other presenters being showcased at this symposium will be Nyack student, Elizabeth Rigotti, who is a double major in religion and English. Dr. Larry Poston, department chair of religion in the College of Arts & Sciences, Division of Humanities, says of Ms. Rigotti, “I was so impressed with her ability…that she was able to talk me into letting her take my senior seminar during the spring semester of her freshman year. She received the highest grade in the class of all seniors.” The paper that Dr. Poston and Ms. Rigotti co-wrote, “Christian Fiction: Innovative Contextualization or Trojan Horse for Heresy?” was presented at the American Academy of Religion’s regional conference in Ottawa, Canada last May.
This is the second symposium hosted on the Nyack College campus this year, which is coordinated by the Faculty Scholarly Dialogue Committee. Members include Dr. Leonard Kageler, Dr. Dion Harrigan, Dr. Amy Davis, Dr. James Danaher, Dr. Susanne Hartl, and Dr. Vilma Balmaceda.
Attached file contains the entire plenary speech.
- September 3: Book Signing for ATS Alumnus/Author Dimas Salaberrios
- The Loss of AGSC Colleague, Dr. James Chin
- Homecoming 2015: Nyack Alumni, Prepare to Dine!
- Forum on Restorative Justice Features Nyack Professor
- Math Prof Conduct Research at Seoul International Christian Academy in Korea
- Inspiration for a New Academic Year at Nyack/ATS
- School of Music: Trading Textbooks for iPads
- RELEASE: Nyack's 2015 Golf Classic at Saint Andrew's Golf
- Peter Rohdin: Responding to God's Call
- Women Warrior Teams Honored for Sportsmanship...the Ninth Straight Year
- Nyack/ATS Loses a Dear Friend
- Nyack College Represented in Journal News STEM Education Feature
- RELEASE: iSucceed at Nyack College
- TBN Segment With Nyack Students Airs on Homelessness in NYC
- RELEASE: Chronicle of Higher Ed Names Nyack a "2015 Great College to Work For"
- Fall 2015 Launch for School of Social Work's New MSW Program at Nyack
- Nursing School Students Volunteer at Walter Hoving Home
- Lauren Lebo, NCAA Division II Lacrosse Champ
- Nyack Manhattan Campus Students on Trinity Broadcasting Network
- Nyack's School of Nursing Dean, Dr. Elizabeth Simon Named a Fulbright Scholar
- Is Nyack For You? Are You for Nyack?
- Miriam Airoldi: Helping Others Find Dignity and Worth
- New Online! Master of Arts in Biblical Studies at ATS
- Into All the World!
- Social Work Degree Guide Names Nyack College to Its Top 25
- Browse Blog Archive>>