Nyack DC Partners With Central Union Mission
The Nyack DC campus has forged a partnership with Central Union Mission, the oldest social service agency in Washington, DC. The "Campaign for Compassion," is a five-month effort, which began in November to encourage public service and support for Washington's poor, homeless, hungry, addicted and friendless.
More than 12,000 men, women, and children in the nation’s capitol and the surrounding area are living in shelters, transitional housing, or on the streets. In light of the suffering of so many, Central Union Mission and Nyack DC will go into churches on what are called "Compassion Sundays" and challenge congregants on the issues of compassion and public service for the poor.
Nyack and the Mission will also offer special programs for emergency shelters, special programs for children, and schools, participating in a "Help for the Homeless Walkathon." Dr. Patricia Johnson, Associate Dean, who directs Nyack DC’s new Certification Program in Community Development, which launches in February 2010, moderates a blog: "Compassion: A Conversation Blog" at http://missiondc.org/blog hosted by the Central Union Mission. "This is a natural for us in light of Nyack's core values," said Nyack's Dean, Dr. Richard Gathro.
- Nyack Alumnus Charles Galbreath, a 2015 C&MA Council Speaker
- Tappan Zee Bridge Evening Travel Advisory May 18-22
- 2015 Hudson River Pianofest at Nyack College Rockland
- Nyack ATS Commencement 2015
- Bench Dedication Procession to Memorial Park Led by Nyack College Music Students
- A Rite of Passage to Womanhood for 25 Nyack Seniors
- ACL Student Research Award Winner
- New Beta Psi Chapter of Chi Alpha Epsilon Honor Society Members Inducted
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary 2015 Commencement
- Gone Fishing...
- A Day of Master Classes and Music Clinics for High School Music Students from Michigan
- Twenty-five Nyack College Contributors to SEA-PHAGES Research
- Men's Golf Team Headed to 2015 NCAA Championship Competition
- Two Operas! Two Days! Prof. Shelley Jameson, Director
- LAST WEEKEND for Spring Production of The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon
- Browse Blog Archive>>