Nyack DC Partners With Central Union Mission
The Nyack DC campus has forged a partnership with Central Union Mission, the oldest social service agency in Washington, DC. The "Campaign for Compassion," is a five-month effort, which began in November to encourage public service and support for Washington's poor, homeless, hungry, addicted and friendless.
More than 12,000 men, women, and children in the nation’s capitol and the surrounding area are living in shelters, transitional housing, or on the streets. In light of the suffering of so many, Central Union Mission and Nyack DC will go into churches on what are called "Compassion Sundays" and challenge congregants on the issues of compassion and public service for the poor.
Nyack and the Mission will also offer special programs for emergency shelters, special programs for children, and schools, participating in a "Help for the Homeless Walkathon." Dr. Patricia Johnson, Associate Dean, who directs Nyack DC’s new Certification Program in Community Development, which launches in February 2010, moderates a blog: "Compassion: A Conversation Blog" at http://missiondc.org/blog hosted by the Central Union Mission. "This is a natural for us in light of Nyack's core values," said Nyack's Dean, Dr. Richard Gathro.
- School of Music Art Series Features Pianist Hui-Mei Lin
- Spiritual Life at Nyack College: Chapel Services
- Nyack/ATS Alumni Celebrate MLK Day in Israel
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Civil Rights Leader, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- Browse Blog Archive>>