Nyack DC Partners With Central Union Mission
The Nyack DC campus has forged a partnership with Central Union Mission, the oldest social service agency in Washington, DC. The "Campaign for Compassion," is a five-month effort, which began in November to encourage public service and support for Washington's poor, homeless, hungry, addicted and friendless.
More than 12,000 men, women, and children in the nation’s capitol and the surrounding area are living in shelters, transitional housing, or on the streets. In light of the suffering of so many, Central Union Mission and Nyack DC will go into churches on what are called "Compassion Sundays" and challenge congregants on the issues of compassion and public service for the poor.
Nyack and the Mission will also offer special programs for emergency shelters, special programs for children, and schools, participating in a "Help for the Homeless Walkathon." Dr. Patricia Johnson, Associate Dean, who directs Nyack DC’s new Certification Program in Community Development, which launches in February 2010, moderates a blog: "Compassion: A Conversation Blog" at http://missiondc.org/blog hosted by the Central Union Mission. "This is a natural for us in light of Nyack's core values," said Nyack's Dean, Dr. Richard Gathro.
- JANUARY 30: Office of Spiritual Formation Presents Andrew Palau
- RELEASE: Nyack College Degrees to 24 Fishkill Correctional Facility Grads
- Nyack College Represented at NYC Police Commissioner Bill Bratton's Meeting With Clergy
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Teams Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary
- Celebrating the Legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- LoHud Trumpets Nyack's Upcoming Social Justice Celebration
- RELEASE: Nyack's Social Justice Celebration Marks 10th Anniversary
- Nyack Welcomes New Manhattan and Rockland Campus Students With Orientations
- Nyack Baseball Team Collecting Baseball Gloves for Sports Clinic in Mexico
- Global Service-Learning 2015
- Peace and Hope Visit Nyack Rockland
- Hudson Link, TEDxSing Sing and Nyack College in New York Times Feature
- Sophia Institute Conference Features Nyack NYC Faculty
- Mandela Day Celebration at Nyack
- Browse Blog Archive>>