A 40th Year Anniversary Tribute to Vietnam Martyrs
Posted by Deborah.Walker on Thursday September 11, 2008
This year, when alumni and friends return to the Hillside for Homecoming 2008, the 40th anniversary year of Nyack alumni who were martyred in 1968 during the Vietnam War will be remembered during special events.
A memorial bench will be dedicated to the fallen alumni on Friday, October 10 on 9:15 am. The memorial service will be followed by Founder's Day chapel at 10:10 am on the Rockland campus in Pardington Hall. The keynote speaker will be U.S. Navy Rear Admiral R. Timothy Ziemer ('65), whose father perished during the Tet Offensive. Adm. Ziemer is the U.S. Malaria Coordinator appointed by President George W. Bush. In addition, Dr. Tom Stebbins, Global Ambassador for Evangelism Explosion, whose sister, Ruth Stebbins Thompson, another martyr to be honored, will speak at the Alumni Homecoming banquet at 6:30 p.m. in Boon Campus Center.
The alumni who lost their lives while serving as missionaries were Leon Griswold ('19), Nathan Robert Ziemer ('41), Carl Edward Thompson ('45) and Ruth Stebbins Thompson ('46), Ruth Wilting ('48), Carolyn Griswold ('49), and Betty Ann Olsen ('62). Two other alumni, Dr. Ardel Vietti ('48) and Archie Mitchell ('44), who were lost in 1962, will be honored as well. Family members of the alumni will travel to the Nyack, NY campus to attend the events.
These courageous disciples fully embraced the words of Christ in Matthew 16:24: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."
Join us as we remember those who are gone but not forgotten.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Nyack Reps in the Nation's Capital for Second Chance Pell Grant Meetings
- Nyack College Among Top 50 Most Diverse U.S. Campuses
- Director of Ensemble Is a Nominee for Gospel Music Association Award
- Tunesha Crispell, Nyack NYC School of Music Alumna, Gone Too Soon
- Epoch Times Features Composer and Nyack Music Prof William Vollinger
- Associate Dean Luis Carlo Receives Kudos for Service to ATS
- JULY 10 & 14: Anthony Vaval ('16) Grad Featured on Dennis Dillon Show
- Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
- Days Away from Nyack's Historic Archaeological Dig
- Carlos Cuestas ('09), A Classical Guitar Act
- Rev. Dave Nguyen and the Vietnamese Alliance Church Celebrate an Anniversary
- Honoring the Life of Dr. Thomas P. Bailey, Sr.
- Nyack College Among 67 Schools Participating in the Second Chance Program
- iSucceed at Nyack Is a School of Music Success
- Lauren Lebo Named 2016 Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association’s Division II Scholar-Athlete of the Year!
- Dr. Gabriel Salguero, Former Alliance Theological Seminary Professor Comforts Floridians
- Biola U Students Welcomed to Nyack's Battery Park/Wall Street Prayer Meeting
- Music Alumni Perform With Shining Lights Prison Ministry Tour
- Live at Carnegie Hall...Nyack College NYC Chorale!
- Nyack -- A Founding Partner of the Fair Chance Higher Education Pledge
- Daniela Guirola (NC '15) Gives Music Project Proceeds to Guatemalan Non-Profit
- Lynette Rhett, Nyack NYC Student Releases CD--Come Jesus Come
- Distance Ed Roster Grows at Nyack /ATS
- Browse Blog Archive>>