A 40th Year Anniversary Tribute to Vietnam Martyrs
Posted by Deborah.Walker on Thursday September 11, 2008
This year, when alumni and friends return to the Hillside for Homecoming 2008, the 40th anniversary year of Nyack alumni who were martyred in 1968 during the Vietnam War will be remembered during special events.
A memorial bench will be dedicated to the fallen alumni on Friday, October 10 on 9:15 am. The memorial service will be followed by Founder's Day chapel at 10:10 am on the Rockland campus in Pardington Hall. The keynote speaker will be U.S. Navy Rear Admiral R. Timothy Ziemer ('65), whose father perished during the Tet Offensive. Adm. Ziemer is the U.S. Malaria Coordinator appointed by President George W. Bush. In addition, Dr. Tom Stebbins, Global Ambassador for Evangelism Explosion, whose sister, Ruth Stebbins Thompson, another martyr to be honored, will speak at the Alumni Homecoming banquet at 6:30 p.m. in Boon Campus Center.
The alumni who lost their lives while serving as missionaries were Leon Griswold ('19), Nathan Robert Ziemer ('41), Carl Edward Thompson ('45) and Ruth Stebbins Thompson ('46), Ruth Wilting ('48), Carolyn Griswold ('49), and Betty Ann Olsen ('62). Two other alumni, Dr. Ardel Vietti ('48) and Archie Mitchell ('44), who were lost in 1962, will be honored as well. Family members of the alumni will travel to the Nyack, NY campus to attend the events.
These courageous disciples fully embraced the words of Christ in Matthew 16:24: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."
Join us as we remember those who are gone but not forgotten.
- DECEMBER 4: Trinity Church Wall Street Choir Series Features Nyack NYC Chorale
- Memorial Concerts Honoring Professor Emeritus Ralph Ellenberger (1934-2014)
- Leadership Rockland Multicultural Communities Day Kicks Off at Nyack College
- Chamberfest at Nyack Rockland School of Music
- Nyack Rockland Colloquium Series Features Dr. K. Kale Yu
- Fall Concerts at Nyack College
- NYACK NYC: Forgive Us...Confessions of a Compromised Faith--Book and Panel Discussion
- Fall 2014 Nyack's Scholars Symposium
- Nyack Students Up For The Challenge
- The Jubilee Chorus Performs at The Bowery Mission
- Auditions for Spring 2015 Production of "The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon"
- OCTOBER 30: CSGE Colloquium Series on Environmental Sustainability
- NY Times Hails Rear Admiral R. Timothy Ziemer (NC '65) as "The Malaria Fighter"
- RELEASE: Official Statement on Ebola Update - Week October 27
- Saturday, October 25--U of Pittsburgh Welcomes ATS Dean Ron Walborn for Bridge Forum: A Livestreamed Event!
- Browse Blog Archive>>