A 40th Year Anniversary Tribute to Vietnam Martyrs
Posted by Deborah.Walker on Thursday September 11, 2008
This year, when alumni and friends return to the Hillside for Homecoming 2008, the 40th anniversary year of Nyack alumni who were martyred in 1968 during the Vietnam War will be remembered during special events.
A memorial bench will be dedicated to the fallen alumni on Friday, October 10 on 9:15 am. The memorial service will be followed by Founder's Day chapel at 10:10 am on the Rockland campus in Pardington Hall. The keynote speaker will be U.S. Navy Rear Admiral R. Timothy Ziemer ('65), whose father perished during the Tet Offensive. Adm. Ziemer is the U.S. Malaria Coordinator appointed by President George W. Bush. In addition, Dr. Tom Stebbins, Global Ambassador for Evangelism Explosion, whose sister, Ruth Stebbins Thompson, another martyr to be honored, will speak at the Alumni Homecoming banquet at 6:30 p.m. in Boon Campus Center.
The alumni who lost their lives while serving as missionaries were Leon Griswold ('19), Nathan Robert Ziemer ('41), Carl Edward Thompson ('45) and Ruth Stebbins Thompson ('46), Ruth Wilting ('48), Carolyn Griswold ('49), and Betty Ann Olsen ('62). Two other alumni, Dr. Ardel Vietti ('48) and Archie Mitchell ('44), who were lost in 1962, will be honored as well. Family members of the alumni will travel to the Nyack, NY campus to attend the events.
These courageous disciples fully embraced the words of Christ in Matthew 16:24: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."
Join us as we remember those who are gone but not forgotten.
- Nyack College Partners With the Luis Palau Evangelistic Association
- Vote for Nyack's Joel Pompa, Young Christian Leaders Scholarship Nominee
- Friday, Jan. 30: Andrew Palau at Nyack College Rockland
- February 9: Andrew White in Concert at Nyack College Rockland
- Photographer Babita Patel Captures the Spirit of Nyack's Hudson Link Graduation
- C&MA Metro District Grant Supports Training for Emerging Leaders at Nyack/ATS
- RELEASE: Nyack College Degrees to 24 Fishkill Correctional Facility Grads
- Nyack College Represented at NYC Police Commissioner Bill Bratton's Meeting With Clergy
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Teams Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary
- Celebrating the Legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- LoHud Trumpets Nyack's Upcoming Social Justice Celebration
- RELEASE: Nyack's Social Justice Celebration Marks 10th Anniversary
- Nyack Welcomes New Manhattan and Rockland Campus Students With Orientations
- Nyack Baseball Team Collecting Baseball Gloves for Sports Clinic in Mexico
- Browse Blog Archive>>