Martin Luther King, Jr. Day 2008
Monday, January 21, Nyack College will celebrate the annual Martin Luther King. Jr. holiday. Though classes are not in session, the “day off” will be a “day on” with several opportunities for the campus to serve community organizations or to attend local events in remembrance of Dr. King's legacy.
Events include the following:
Annual Martin Luther King Community Breakfast,
St. Charles AME Zion Church, 432 Valentine Ave, Sparkill, NY
Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary president, Dr. Michael G. Scales will be the guest speaker.
North Broadway and Depew St., Nyack, NY
Volunteers will work on repair projects at Nyack Center.
Community Blood Drive and Health Fair
119 Main St., Nyack, NY
10:00 am- 2:00 pm and 3:30 p.m.-5:00 pm
In addition to free medical tests and screenings, Riverspace will show the film, Martin Luther King, Jr.: The Man and the Dream.
Annual Martin Luther King Commemorative Service
Pilgrim Baptist Church
33 North Franklin St., Nyack, NY
This special service, which begins at 2:00 p.m., will include a performance by Nyack College’s More Than Conquerors Gospel Choir.
New Life Community Health Center
82-10 Queens Blvd. , Elmhurst, NY
Members of Nyack College Athletic Teams will work on projects at the Health Center.
Fueled by the famous King quote: "Be concerned about your brother...either we go up together, or we go down together. Let us develop a kind of dangerous unselfishness," Nyack will partner with several organizations on special activities. The groups include the Berea Seventh Day Adventist Church, The Indian Nurses Association, The Rockland Chapter of the American Association of University Women, Rockland County Department of Health, The Rockland Ministerial Alliance and the Honorable John Shields, mayor of the Village of Nyack.
For additional information, contact the Office of Community Relations at 845.675.4791.
- Sept. 10: Jewish and Christian Perspectives on Wealth and Responsibility to the Poor
- Nyack School of Music Students to Perform at City Hall in Manhattan
- A Call to Prayer September 1-7 by C&MA President John Stumbo
- True Confessions or A Half Century-Old Mystery to be Unveiled at Homecoming 2014!
- On the Passing of Mrs. Dianna Sanders
- Nyack NYC Student Leadership Development Retreat
- 2014 Global Engagement Lecture Features Director of REALIS Christian Center in Kiev, Ukraine
- College of Arts and Sciences Convenes Its Faculty/Staff Retreat
- Nyack History Professor Receives Columbia U Libraries Research Award
- Coming Soon: Nyack NYC and Rockland Student Orientations
- A Sunday Best: Nyack's Own Brightnie Jones
- Important Info for Returning Nyack NYC and Rockland Students
- The Independent Sector Highlights Nyack's STEM Education Participation
- Dr. Leonard Kageler Receives YCL "World Changers Award"
- RELEASE: Nyack's Fourth Year on the CHE "Great College to Work For" List
- Browse Blog Archive>>