NOTE: This blog has moved to NYACK.EDU/NEWS
Student Volunteers for MLK Day Featured in Journal News
Posted by Deborah.Walker on Tuesday January 18, 2005
Vice President and Dean of Student Development Earl Miller was the keynote speaker January 17 at the third annual Martin Luther King, Jr. breakfast at St. Charles A.M.E. Church in Sparkill, NY. Senior Pastor Louis Sanders, called the speech "inspirational and invigorating." A native of Atlanta and one who identifies himself as "a child of the civil rights movement," Dean Miller coordinated a number of activities that gave Nyack staff and students the opportunity to volunteer time on their "day off."
Nyack students also volunteered at several other sites on the King holiday. Though only five students were needed, eight volunteered to leave at 6:45 a.m. to help with meal preparation for the Nanuet, NY Meals on Wheels organization. Some 20 to 30 students, along with the Nyack softball team, visited Tappan Zee Manor, a Rockland County, NY nursing home to spend time with residents. The Nyack College Chorale sang at Pilgrim Baptist Church in a prelude to the afternoon commemorative service. More than a dozen students traveled by van to visit Anchor House ministry, a rehab facility for men and women in Brooklyn, NY for a 7 p.m. fellowship.
To read the entire Journal News article about Nyack's involvement in community events on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, use the following web address: www.thejournalnews.com/newsroom/011805/b0118king.html
- Negocios Now "40 under 40" List Showcases Nyack Alumna Kathia Benitez
- March 15-17: Latino Pastoral Action Center Hosts 2018 Legacy Conference
- Music Faculty and Students Perform With Opera Star in Kansas City, MO
- Schedule Your Nyack College Visit
- MARCH 15: Writing Center's March Event: The Book of Elyon with Emmanuel Jean-Pierre
- MARCH 21: Bach's 333rd Birthday Bash!
- Metro District Women's Spring Retreat Registration In Progress
- Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- Dr. Anita Underwood, a Panelist on Christian Radio Network
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: DeLissa Dixon
- Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Browse Blog Archive>>