Student Volunteers for MLK Day Featured in Journal News
Posted by Deborah.Walker on Tuesday January 18, 2005
Vice President and Dean of Student Development Earl Miller was the keynote speaker January 17 at the third annual Martin Luther King, Jr. breakfast at St. Charles A.M.E. Church in Sparkill, NY. Senior Pastor Louis Sanders, called the speech "inspirational and invigorating." A native of Atlanta and one who identifies himself as "a child of the civil rights movement," Dean Miller coordinated a number of activities that gave Nyack staff and students the opportunity to volunteer time on their "day off."
Nyack students also volunteered at several other sites on the King holiday. Though only five students were needed, eight volunteered to leave at 6:45 a.m. to help with meal preparation for the Nanuet, NY Meals on Wheels organization. Some 20 to 30 students, along with the Nyack softball team, visited Tappan Zee Manor, a Rockland County, NY nursing home to spend time with residents. The Nyack College Chorale sang at Pilgrim Baptist Church in a prelude to the afternoon commemorative service. More than a dozen students traveled by van to visit Anchor House ministry, a rehab facility for men and women in Brooklyn, NY for a 7 p.m. fellowship.
To read the entire Journal News article about Nyack's involvement in community events on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, use the following web address: www.thejournalnews.com/newsroom/011805/b0118king.html
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Nyack Reps in the Nation's Capital for Second Chance Pell Grant Meetings
- Nyack College Among Top 50 Most Diverse U.S. Campuses
- Director of Ensemble Is a Nominee for Gospel Music Association Award
- Tunesha Crispell, Nyack NYC School of Music Alumna, Gone Too Soon
- Epoch Times Features Composer and Nyack Music Prof William Vollinger
- Associate Dean Luis Carlo Receives Kudos for Service to ATS
- JULY 10 & 14: Anthony Vaval ('16) Grad Featured on Dennis Dillon Show
- Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
- Days Away from Nyack's Historic Archaeological Dig
- Carlos Cuestas ('09), A Classical Guitar Act
- Rev. Dave Nguyen and the Vietnamese Alliance Church Celebrate an Anniversary
- Honoring the Life of Dr. Thomas P. Bailey, Sr.
- Nyack College Among 67 Schools Participating in the Second Chance Program
- iSucceed at Nyack Is a School of Music Success
- Lauren Lebo Named 2016 Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association’s Division II Scholar-Athlete of the Year!
- Dr. Gabriel Salguero, Former Alliance Theological Seminary Professor Comforts Floridians
- Biola U Students Welcomed to Nyack's Battery Park/Wall Street Prayer Meeting
- Music Alumni Perform With Shining Lights Prison Ministry Tour
- Live at Carnegie Hall...Nyack College NYC Chorale!
- Nyack -- A Founding Partner of the Fair Chance Higher Education Pledge
- Daniela Guirola (NC '15) Gives Music Project Proceeds to Guatemalan Non-Profit
- Lynette Rhett, Nyack NYC Student Releases CD--Come Jesus Come
- Distance Ed Roster Grows at Nyack /ATS
- Browse Blog Archive>>