Student Volunteers for MLK Day Featured in Journal News
Posted by Deborah.Walker on Tuesday January 18, 2005
Vice President and Dean of Student Development Earl Miller was the keynote speaker January 17 at the third annual Martin Luther King, Jr. breakfast at St. Charles A.M.E. Church in Sparkill, NY. Senior Pastor Louis Sanders, called the speech "inspirational and invigorating." A native of Atlanta and one who identifies himself as "a child of the civil rights movement," Dean Miller coordinated a number of activities that gave Nyack staff and students the opportunity to volunteer time on their "day off."
Nyack students also volunteered at several other sites on the King holiday. Though only five students were needed, eight volunteered to leave at 6:45 a.m. to help with meal preparation for the Nanuet, NY Meals on Wheels organization. Some 20 to 30 students, along with the Nyack softball team, visited Tappan Zee Manor, a Rockland County, NY nursing home to spend time with residents. The Nyack College Chorale sang at Pilgrim Baptist Church in a prelude to the afternoon commemorative service. More than a dozen students traveled by van to visit Anchor House ministry, a rehab facility for men and women in Brooklyn, NY for a 7 p.m. fellowship.
To read the entire Journal News article about Nyack's involvement in community events on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, use the following web address: www.thejournalnews.com/newsroom/011805/b0118king.html
- RELEASE: Nyack's Fourth Year on the CHE "Great College to Work For" List
- The Nations Come to Us: Fukuyama Alliance Church Visits Nyack
- Nyack's Welcome Mat for Hungary
- Nyack College Remembers the Late John Lawrence Seigenthaler
- Nyack College, A Partner Instructor School for Yale's Center for Scientific Teaching
- Nyack College Venue for County Legislature's Forum
- Nyack Nursing Professor and Student Publish in Journal of Nursing
- Alliance World Fellowship Committee Meets at Nyack/ATS Rockland
- Is Nyack Affordable?
- JUNE 13 & 14: Steinway & Sons Sponsor Hudson River Pianofest at Nyack College
- JUNE 11: Nyack's 2014 Golf Classic
- Nyack College Social Work Major Receives NPRDP Scholarship
- RELEASE: An Award-Winning 2013-2104 for Women Warriors
- Nyack's Dr. Steve Notley on Archaeological Survey in Israel
- Nyack Campus Community Remembers Ralph G. Ellenberger (1934-2014)
- Browse Blog Archive>>