Student Volunteers for MLK Day Featured in Journal News
Posted by Deborah.Walker on Tuesday January 18, 2005
Vice President and Dean of Student Development Earl Miller was the keynote speaker January 17 at the third annual Martin Luther King, Jr. breakfast at St. Charles A.M.E. Church in Sparkill, NY. Senior Pastor Louis Sanders, called the speech "inspirational and invigorating." A native of Atlanta and one who identifies himself as "a child of the civil rights movement," Dean Miller coordinated a number of activities that gave Nyack staff and students the opportunity to volunteer time on their "day off."
Nyack students also volunteered at several other sites on the King holiday. Though only five students were needed, eight volunteered to leave at 6:45 a.m. to help with meal preparation for the Nanuet, NY Meals on Wheels organization. Some 20 to 30 students, along with the Nyack softball team, visited Tappan Zee Manor, a Rockland County, NY nursing home to spend time with residents. The Nyack College Chorale sang at Pilgrim Baptist Church in a prelude to the afternoon commemorative service. More than a dozen students traveled by van to visit Anchor House ministry, a rehab facility for men and women in Brooklyn, NY for a 7 p.m. fellowship.
To read the entire Journal News article about Nyack's involvement in community events on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, use the following web address: www.thejournalnews.com/newsroom/011805/b0118king.html
- C&MA Church Planter Among Those Murdered in Guinea
- Get Nyack Warrior Gear Online Until September 30
- Alrick Brown's Award-winning Kinyarwanda Screening & Panel at Nyack NYC
- Dean Ron Walborn Interviewed on Unseminary.com
- RELEASE: October 20 Unearthing Magdala, An Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins Conference
- Report on AJCO-CSGE Panel: Wealth and Responsibility to the Poor
- 9/11 Thirteen Years Later
- Jewish and Christian Perspectives on Wealth and Responsibility to the Poor
- HEOP Continues at Nyack Rockland and Launches at Nyack NYC
- India Trip for Nyack School of Nursing Combines Study With Outreach
- "A Greener NYC" to Showcase a Nyack School of Music Performance at City Hall
- A Call to Prayer September 1-7 by C&MA President John Stumbo
- True Confessions or A Half Century-Old Mystery to be Unveiled at Homecoming 2014!
- On the Passing of Mrs. Dianna Sanders
- Nyack NYC Student Leadership Development Retreat
- Browse Blog Archive>>