Student Volunteers for MLK Day Featured in Journal News
Posted by Deborah.Walker on Tuesday January 18, 2005
Vice President and Dean of Student Development Earl Miller was the keynote speaker January 17 at the third annual Martin Luther King, Jr. breakfast at St. Charles A.M.E. Church in Sparkill, NY. Senior Pastor Louis Sanders, called the speech "inspirational and invigorating." A native of Atlanta and one who identifies himself as "a child of the civil rights movement," Dean Miller coordinated a number of activities that gave Nyack staff and students the opportunity to volunteer time on their "day off."
Nyack students also volunteered at several other sites on the King holiday. Though only five students were needed, eight volunteered to leave at 6:45 a.m. to help with meal preparation for the Nanuet, NY Meals on Wheels organization. Some 20 to 30 students, along with the Nyack softball team, visited Tappan Zee Manor, a Rockland County, NY nursing home to spend time with residents. The Nyack College Chorale sang at Pilgrim Baptist Church in a prelude to the afternoon commemorative service. More than a dozen students traveled by van to visit Anchor House ministry, a rehab facility for men and women in Brooklyn, NY for a 7 p.m. fellowship.
To read the entire Journal News article about Nyack's involvement in community events on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, use the following web address: www.thejournalnews.com/newsroom/011805/b0118king.html
- Live from New York...Nyack's School of Music at Avery Fisher Hall, Lincoln Center!
- Broken To Minister CD Launch Event at NYC Campus
- 15-City Promo Tour for Nyack NYC Campus Music Prof Damien Sneed
- Becker Professional Education Presentation
- FEBRUARY 23-24: Pianist Marcelo Liano in Concert at Nyack Rockland
- Colloquium Series Features Dr. Kale Yu on "Earth in Mind"
- Denise Lewis Patrick, Award-Winning Author and Nyack Adjunct, Presents Connected Souls
- Nursing Alumni Return to Share Their Journey
- Nyack College Partners with the Luis Palau Association
- Nyack Reps at NY Student Aid Alliance Advocacy Day in Albany
- Damien Sneed, NYC Music Faculty, in PBS Documentary on Work by Wynton Marsalis
- Andrew White in Concert at Nyack College Rockland
- Nyack AGSC Professor and Students Published in Journal
- Kathy Schwarz, First 2015 Nyack Critical Reads Presenter
- Nyack College Partners With the Luis Palau Evangelistic Association
- Browse Blog Archive>>