First Hudson Link/Nyack College Graduation at Taconic Correctional Facility
Nyack College alumnus Sean Pica (’01) executive director of Hudson Link for Higher Education in Prison was joined by Nyack College President Michael Scales, Nyack Provost Dr. David Turk, and Nyack faculty, Prof. Cynthia Dorsey and Prof. Jamila Wright for a historic moment at the Taconic Correctional Facility: it was Graduation Day! Since 2008, college level courses at the medium security women’s prison in Bedford Hills, NY have been offered through collaboration between Hudson Link and Nyack. On Wednesday, January 24, the associate of arts degree was awarded to six students. Four women earned a Nyack College degree and two earned a Marymount Manhattan College degree. Thirty-nine other students, professors and staff cheered on the graduates. During the ceremony, students who are completing college level courses were awarded certificates of achievement.
Executive Director Pica commented, “Since the beginning of the program, the students have proven to be remarkable in so many ways.” Celebrating with the graduates, their children and other relatives were facility staff and officers as well as the current and former Commissioner of Corrections and their entire executive team.
During his remarks, President Scales called relatives from the audience to join the graduates at the podium. He paid particular attention to the children and encouraged them by applauding the mothers, remarking “They did it and you can do it, too!” He was equally gracious in recognizing the two Marymount graduates.
Not only did Dr. Scales emphasize the importance of each person who journeyed with the graduates over the course of the program, but he extended another ingratiating gesture. The Nyack grads were invited to walk across the stage with the Class of 2018 at the Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary commencement ceremony in May at Westchester County Center in White Plains, NY.
Photo credit: Babita Patel
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- Feb 22: Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- February 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Nyack's WNYK 88.7 FM Warrior Radio Airs Black History Month Features
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium Series
- Athletes Leadership Conference at Nyack College
- How a Nyack Sports Hero Was Celebrated
- First Hudson Link/Nyack College Graduation at Taconic Correctional Facility
- January 29-31: Deeper Life Series Speaker is Dr. Jonathan Shaw
- "Dan Bailey Day" at Nyack
- Head Men's Basketball Coach Jason Crafton on WNYK
- WNYK 88.7FM January Alumni Spotlight: Orlando Suazo
- 2018 Empower Retreat Attendees From 51 Churches and Seven States
- Nyack Scholarship and Global Engagement Director Heads Peace and Hope International
- School of Music Art Series Features Pianist Hui-Mei Lin
- Spiritual Life at Nyack College: Chapel Services
- Browse Blog Archive>>