Alumna Alyssa Cruz Presents on Technology-Infused and Data-Driven Lesson Planning
Nyack College School of Education alumna Alyssa Rice Cruz (’13), presented a paper at the 2017 National Educational Research Association Conference. Her strong body of research in technology-infused lesson planning, which she developed in collaboration with Dr. Marie C. White, School of Education associate professor and educational psychologist, is a methodology she uses in the school where she teaches in the Bronx.
The paper, “Technology-Infused and Data-Driven Lesson Planning in the Third Grade Urban Classroom Setting” examines components that are effective and powerful tools to engage students in self-monitoring using meaningful curriculum and data driven instruction. The adaptive use of technology encourages students to self-evaluate while exploring content in a topical format with goals for developing higher-order thinking skills.
While Dr. White and other mentoring faculty who prepared Alyssa for her career are well aware of her exceptional work, it was also noticed by the CEO of a company at the conference. He praised her work in a letter that Alyssa shared with her Nyack mentors, which said “I truly believe your approach should be molded and set as a basis for all educators of all grades, or even a business on its own.”
“Teacher candidates are instructed to be ‘the salt of the earth,’” says School of Education dean, Dr. JoAnn Looney. They are to season and enrich the lives of others. They are to become the preservative of hope and encouragement to others. Ultimately, they are to become healing agents serving others who need help overcoming the difficulties of life.”
Learn more about the Nyack College School of Education.
- FEB 21: Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Feb 22: Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- FEB 24: Prof. Shelley Jameson and School of Music Alumnae in Concert
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- February 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Nyack's WNYK 88.7 FM Warrior Radio Airs Black History Month Features
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium Series
- Athletes Leadership Conference at Nyack College
- How a Nyack Sports Hero Was Celebrated
- First Hudson Link/Nyack College Graduation at Taconic Correctional Facility
- January 29-31: Deeper Life Series Speaker is Dr. Jonathan Shaw
- "Dan Bailey Day" at Nyack
- Head Men's Basketball Coach Jason Crafton on WNYK
- WNYK 88.7FM January Alumni Spotlight: Orlando Suazo
- 2018 Empower Retreat Attendees From 51 Churches and Seven States
- Browse Blog Archive>>