NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
The Eighth Annual National Hispanic Education Summit and the Ninth Annual Nyack Scholars Symposium will take place at both New York campuses of Nyack College: on Wednesday, November 8 at 2 Washington Street in Manhattan and on Thursday, November 9 on the Rockland County campus in Nyack.
This joint event is sponsored by Nyack College’s Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement (CSGE), which directed by Dr. Vilma "Nina" Balmaceda (top left) and the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference’s (NHCLC) Faith and Education Coalition, directed by Dr. Andrea Ramirez (top center). This two-day gathering will include plenary sessions and workshops addressing the theme, “In Search of Accountability in Closing Educational Gaps.” (See details.)
The opening plenary session on Wednesday, November 8 in New York City will feature Dr. Balmaceda, CSGE director on “Seeking equity in education as part of the biblical imperative to do justice.” Thursday’s plenary speakers are Mr. Jer Swigart (bottom left), founder of The Global Immersion Project and Ms. Nohemi Hernandez (center right), a college student majoring in communications, will address “Mending the Divides: Creative Love in a Conflicted World.” The closing plenary will feature Dr. Irvin Scott, (far right) senior lecturer on education at Harvard University. His topic will be “A Macro-View of Education Equity and Predictions of Hispanic Educational Outcomes.”
Breakout sessions include topics such as “Hispanic Students and College Graduation: A Four-year Game Plan;” “Equipping Church Leaders: Raising Highly Capable Kids,” “Teachers as Culturally Proactive Agents Through Cycles of Self-Regulation,” “Latino Doctoral Students in Counseling Programs: Navigating Professional Identity Within a Predominately White American Profession,” “Structural Constraints Limiting Latino Students” College Recruiting and Admissions,” The Role of ‘Institutional Agents’ in the College Choice Process for Latino(a) Students.”
Admission is free. See information on registration.
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico...Firm and Persevering!
- Nyack Warriors Fight Strong for Breast Cancer Awareness
- 2017 Seed to Harvest Seminar Hosted by Donna Baptiste Ministries
- '08 ATS Alumnus and Young Adults Pastor Adds Executive Director Role to Ministry
- Faculty Recital Features Dr. Tammy Lum
- Nyack Dean to Azusa Pacific Director: Coast to Coast Mentoring
- Nyack Warriors Basketball Podcast
- A Nyack College Cast Revives Lin-Manuel Miranda's "In the Heights"
- Puerto Rico Seminary Community Outreach to Families
- NOV 15: WMCA Radio 570AM Networking Breakfast at Nyack New York City Campus
- Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Nyack School of Music Students Perform at Market Street Mission
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Hosts Colloquium Series
- Prayer Summit 2017 With Dave Powers
- Browse Blog Archive>>