Commencement Address: "Fix What's Broken!"
“Fix what’s broken!” Dr. John M. Perkins, challenged the Class of 2007 at the 2:00 p.m. Commencement ceremony held at Westchester County Center in White Plains, NY today. What’s “broken,” he declared to nearly 600 college and seminary graduates, is “family and community.”
The author and pioneer of community development and racial reconciliation said, “the people of God are a family of God…people living in relationship with each other,” just as “the church in the New Testament was a community.”
Perkins pointed out that people err by regarding the Bible more as a book of inspiration than as a book of application. He exhorted his Christian listeners to take up the responsibility not to simply hear the Word of God, but to do the Word of God. The five components of his call to action are that people embrace the Word of God as the truth, commit to a prayer life that is selfless, reconcile others to God, regard the church as a center to equip people for the work of the gospel and establish a philosophy of ministry with intention that fits one’s DNA.
An Honorary Doctor of Divinity degree from Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary was conferred on Dr. Perkins just prior to his Commencement address. This humble man with a third-grade education adds the Nyack/ATS honorary doctorate to seven others he has received from Wheaton, Gordon, Huntington, Geneva, Spring Arbor, North Park and Belhaven Colleges.
A second honorary degree, Doctor of Letters from Nyack College, College of Arts and Sciences, was awarded to Mr. Peter Dys, president of Shell Point Retirement Community, a continuing care retirement community in Fort Myers, FL. Mr. Dys is a longtime servant-leader with the Christian and Missionary Alliance and advocate for the senior citizen population nationwide.
- Nyack Manhattan Campus Students on Trinity Broadcasting Network
- Nyack.edu Redesign Debuts
- JULY 11: Hope to See You in Central Park!
- Nyack's School of Nursing Dean, Dr. Elizabeth Simon Named a Fulbright Scholar
- Is Nyack For You? Are You for Nyack?
- Miriam Airoldi: Helping Others Find Dignity and Worth
- New Online! Master of Arts in Biblical Studies at ATS
- Into All the World!
- Social Work Degree Guide Names Nyack College to Its Top 25
- Nyack Clergy Association Hosts a Memorial Service for Charleston Nine
- Nyack's Moseley Field Turns Heliport for New York's Governor
- Nyack Softball Players Make CACC All-Academic Team
- Nyack College Students in National Masterworks Festival Chorus at Carnegie Hall
- New Major at Nyack: BA in Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Charles Galbreath, a 2015 C&MA Council Speaker
- Rock-o-Nomix Team: You Voted! They Won!
- New York City Fish Count
- 2015 Empower Ceremony
- 2015 Hudson River Pianofest at Nyack College Rockland
- Nyack ATS Commencement 2015
- Bench Dedication Procession to Memorial Park Led by Nyack College Music Students
- A Rite of Passage to Womanhood for 25 Nyack Seniors
- ACL Student Research Award Winner
- New Beta Psi Chapter of Chi Alpha Epsilon Honor Society Members Inducted
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary 2015 Commencement
- Browse Blog Archive>>