EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
This past Saturday, September 16, the Rockland County campus of Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary buzzed with excitement as the sixth year of Empower, a seven-month certificate program for women kicked off its 2017-2018 year of study. With the program’s articulation agreement between the C&MA Metro District and Nyack/ATS, students earn six credits towards a earning a degree at Nyack College or Alliance Theological Seminary. Empower equips and motivates the personal spiritual formation of women as they navigate the various roles and commitments in their lives. Classes are held monthly from September through April with a weekend retreat in January.
“We are delighted to launch another session of Empower with over 130 women in the three tracks,” commented the program’s director, Dr. Wanda Walborn. The three modules are Empower 1, the pre-requisite for Empower Engage (training for mentors) and Empower Proclaim that coaches women in their public speaking skills as they teach and preach as well as share stories and testimonies.
In addition to women who travel from the Tri-State New York area, Pennsylvania and Ohio, a growing number participate via livestream from their homes in California, Illinois, Iowa and Ohio. Mentoring is provided for both classroom and livestreaming students in small groups held the last two hours of the day that runs from 9:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
The September Empower 1 session included teaching by “Understanding the Old Testament” by Dr. Linda Warren; “Cultivating a Listening Ear” and "Prayer Model," by Dr. Wanda Walborn. “Listening to God for Questions & Activating Prophetic Listening,” was the focus of Empower Engage for mentors conducted by Mrs. Lisa Plunket and Mrs. Kim Valenzuela.
- OCT 20-21: Movement Day New York City
- OCT 21: Saxophonist Jacob Nevill (NC '08) in Grace Church Concert
- OCT 23: Nyack College School of Music Performance at Steinway Hall
- OCT 26: Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Fall Faculty Reading Features Dr. Charles Beach
- FOUNDER'S DAY CHAPEL: C&MA Canada President David Hearn
- Ron Blue Institute Center Comes to Nyack College
- WNYK Re-airs Segments of "Perspectives on Personal Living"
- Nyack Warrior Athletics and Nyack Health Services Host "Pink Out" Events
- Praise Report from Puerto Rico
- Nyack Music Professor Damien Sneed on Stage at Carnegie Hall
- Dr. Lawrence Schiffman, Dead Sea Scrolls Scholar Visits Nyack New York City
- Fashion as WordArt Hosted by Nyack's Rockland Writing Center
- Cultivate Coffee Opens on Campus
- Who's Returning to the Hillside for Homecoming?
- Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- Borderline Music Fest Features Nyack Alumnus "Skerrit Bwoy"
- SEPT 29: ATS Celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month
- Update on Nyack's Seminary Branch in Puerto Rico
- September Alumni Spotlight on WNYK: Pastor Greg Haueter
- What Nyack Warriors Are Doing to Fight For Survivors of Recent Natural Disasters
- Nyack's Women's Soccer Team Fundraises for Pediatric Cancer Programs
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Browse Blog Archive>>