In a World of Darkness: Light...and Love
FROM THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
By God's grace, we have sought to develop at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary an institution of Christian education that prioritizes love as the primary virtue of being Christ-like. This is consistent with how we read and understand the gospel.
As one of the nation’s most diverse institutions of higher education, we at Nyack/ATS seek to cultivate an environment that models Christ's love for all people. Our founder, Dr. A.B. Simpson, declared “Your Master knows no color line, save that of His blood-red cross.” We do not condone any act of hatred towards any group of people.
Hateful acts that have occurred in our nation and around the world—Barcelona, Spain; Charlottesville, VA; London, England; Stockholm, Sweden—break our hearts, especially when innocent blood is shed because of racial, religious or political beliefs. God’s heartbreak is also very real. His Word challenges us to oppose hate with the power of love.
Jesus said, “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.”
Despite the darkness that is in the world, we can glorify God by our love. As Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. once said, “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
Dr. Michael G. Scales, President
Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- TODAY: Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Feb 22: Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- FEB 24: Prof. Shelley Jameson and School of Music Alumnae in Concert
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- February 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Nyack's WNYK 88.7 FM Warrior Radio Airs Black History Month Features
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium Series
- Athletes Leadership Conference at Nyack College
- How a Nyack Sports Hero Was Celebrated
- First Hudson Link/Nyack College Graduation at Taconic Correctional Facility
- January 29-31: Deeper Life Series Speaker is Dr. Jonathan Shaw
- "Dan Bailey Day" at Nyack
- Head Men's Basketball Coach Jason Crafton on WNYK
- Browse Blog Archive>>