Nyack College Partners With Long Island School on NYS Presidential Scholarship
Nyack College has partnered with Suffolk County Community College (SCCC) in an initiative called the New York State Presidential Scholarship (NYSPS).
Nyack, known for its mission to provide access to affordable higher education—in many cases for students who are first generation degree earners, will grant a scholarship renewable annually to one candidate who has applied for admission by March 1 in the year preceding the planned enrollment.
Joan (pronounced Jō-Ahn) U Bolanos Martinez is this year’s recipient of the 2017 New York State Presidential Scholarship (NYSPS). He is one of three students selected for consideration who achieved the required cumulative grade point average of 3.7 or higher by the end of the third semester.
Born in Venezuela, Joan successfully completed ESL programs to master the English language after arriving in the States in 2014. He will fulfill his dream of earning his bachelor’s degree in business administration at Nyack’s Manhattan campus in Battery Park. “The NYSPS offers students like me the opportunity to pursue our academic goals. Nyack, in particular, combines academics with Christian values, which is one of the reasons I applied for admission,” shares Joan.
Pictured: (l-r) Nyack NYC Dean of Students Dr. Charles Hammond, Joan Martinez and School of Business and Leadership professor, Dr. Gerard Becker.
- Feb 22: Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- FEB 24: Prof. Shelley Jameson and School of Music Alumnae in Concert
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- February 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Nyack's WNYK 88.7 FM Warrior Radio Airs Black History Month Features
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium Series
- Athletes Leadership Conference at Nyack College
- How a Nyack Sports Hero Was Celebrated
- First Hudson Link/Nyack College Graduation at Taconic Correctional Facility
- January 29-31: Deeper Life Series Speaker is Dr. Jonathan Shaw
- "Dan Bailey Day" at Nyack
- Head Men's Basketball Coach Jason Crafton on WNYK
- WNYK 88.7FM January Alumni Spotlight: Orlando Suazo
- 2018 Empower Retreat Attendees From 51 Churches and Seven States
- Nyack Scholarship and Global Engagement Director Heads Peace and Hope International
- School of Music Art Series Features Pianist Hui-Mei Lin
- Browse Blog Archive>>