Nyack Alumnus Dr. Ty Buckman Named Provost at Mary Baldwin University
Nyack College alumnus Dr. Ty F. Buckman (’90) will become the new provost of Mary Baldwin University in Staunton, VA effective July 1, 2017.
The Nyack English major graduated summa cum laude and went on to graduate school in English Renaissance literature at the University of Virginia, where he completed his MA and Ph.D., defending his thesis on Edmund Spenser’s Faerie Queene and the Italian tradition in 1997.
Dr. Buckman began his full-time teaching career in 1996 as an assistant professor of English at the University of Minnesota-Morris, the liberal arts campus of the state university system. After three years at Morris, he moved on to Wittenberg University where he joined the English Department faculty. For five years, he served as Director of Faculty Development at Wittenberg. Shortly after his promotion to full professor, he was named Associate Provost for Undergraduate Affairs and Curriculum, sharing responsibility for all aspects of the university’s academic program. He became Vice President for Strategic Initiatives in 2014.
At Nyack’s 2015 Homecoming, Dr. Buckman received an alumni award for academic excellence in recognition of his “contributions to higher education as an administrator, professor, author and literary scholar.”
In a year of celebrating the University's 175th anniversary, Mary Baldwin's President Pamela Fox shared her enthusiasm about Buckman's appointment: "Ty is a proven transformational and strategic leader, an innovator and a skilled negotiator, and an open-minded thinker devoted to fostering diversity and inclusivity and collegiality."
- FEB 21: Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Feb 22: Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- FEB 24: Prof. Shelley Jameson and School of Music Alumnae in Concert
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- February 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Nyack's WNYK 88.7 FM Warrior Radio Airs Black History Month Features
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium Series
- Athletes Leadership Conference at Nyack College
- How a Nyack Sports Hero Was Celebrated
- First Hudson Link/Nyack College Graduation at Taconic Correctional Facility
- January 29-31: Deeper Life Series Speaker is Dr. Jonathan Shaw
- "Dan Bailey Day" at Nyack
- Head Men's Basketball Coach Jason Crafton on WNYK
- WNYK 88.7FM January Alumni Spotlight: Orlando Suazo
- 2018 Empower Retreat Attendees From 51 Churches and Seven States
- Browse Blog Archive>>