Nyack Alumnus Dr. Ty Buckman Named Provost at Mary Baldwin University
Nyack College alumnus Dr. Ty F. Buckman (’90) will become the new provost of Mary Baldwin University in Staunton, VA effective July 1, 2017.
The Nyack English major graduated summa cum laude and went on to graduate school in English Renaissance literature at the University of Virginia, where he completed his MA and Ph.D., defending his thesis on Edmund Spenser’s Faerie Queene and the Italian tradition in 1997.
Dr. Buckman began his full-time teaching career in 1996 as an assistant professor of English at the University of Minnesota-Morris, the liberal arts campus of the state university system. After three years at Morris, he moved on to Wittenberg University where he joined the English Department faculty. For five years, he served as Director of Faculty Development at Wittenberg. Shortly after his promotion to full professor, he was named Associate Provost for Undergraduate Affairs and Curriculum, sharing responsibility for all aspects of the university’s academic program. He became Vice President for Strategic Initiatives in 2014.
At Nyack’s 2015 Homecoming, Dr. Buckman received an alumni award for academic excellence in recognition of his “contributions to higher education as an administrator, professor, author and literary scholar.”
In a year of celebrating the University's 175th anniversary, Mary Baldwin's President Pamela Fox shared her enthusiasm about Buckman's appointment: "Ty is a proven transformational and strategic leader, an innovator and a skilled negotiator, and an open-minded thinker devoted to fostering diversity and inclusivity and collegiality."
- OCT 23-25: Dave Powers Returns for Spiritual Formation's Prayer Summit 2017
- OCT 23: Nyack College School of Music Performance at Steinway Hall
- OCT 26: Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- OCT 29: Trunk or Treat Comes to Nyack College Rockland
- Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary Alumni at Metro District Conference "Expectation"
- Movement Day New York City
- Saxophonist Jacob Nevill (NC '08) in Grace Church Concert
- NOV 8-9: Nyack Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- NOV 4: Dr. Anna Flores-Locke to Present at American Counseling Association Event
- WNYK's October Alumni Spotlight: Stephen and Lauri (Boyd) McKnight
- First 2017-2018 Issue of The Forum is Released
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Fall Faculty Reading Features Dr. Charles Beach
- FOUNDER'S DAY CHAPEL: C&MA Canada President David Hearn
- Ron Blue Institute Center Comes to Nyack College
- WNYK Re-airs Segments of "Perspectives on Personal Living"
- Nyack Warrior Athletics and Nyack Health Services Host "Pink Out" Events
- Praise Report from Puerto Rico
- Nyack Music Professor Damien Sneed on Stage at Carnegie Hall
- Dr. Lawrence Schiffman, Dead Sea Scrolls Scholar Visits Nyack New York City
- Fashion as WordArt Hosted by Nyack's Rockland Writing Center
- Cultivate Coffee Opens on Campus
- Who's Returning to the Hillside for Homecoming?
- Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- Borderline Music Fest Features Nyack Alumnus "Skerrit Bwoy"
- Browse Blog Archive>>