2017 Grads Are Nyack's Inaugural Class of Biology Majors
Four Nyack College Class of 2017 grads (l-r)—Emily Barner, Katherine Oldfield, Kuan Chiu, Hwa Soo Ryoo—marked a new milestone in Nyack College history: They are the first graduates of Nyack's degree program in biology. The Bachelor of Arts in biology was approved by the New York State Education Department in 2012 and is the first natural science degree offered by Nyack College.
“Although our biology program is young, as a testament to the hard work of the students and our strong program with dedicated faculty, our graduates have done significantly above average in the National ETS® Major Field Test for Biology. They have participated in and presented at national, regional and local research conferences earning numerous accolades and honors with top ranking finishes. While it's bittersweet to see them go, it's clear that great things are in store for them in the future and I could not be more proud of them,” says Biology and Chemistry Department Chair Dr. Jacqueline Washington.
Nyack biology students have been actively involved in SEA-PHAGES (Science Education Alliance-Phage Hunters Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science), an undergraduate research course that begins with simple digging in the soil to find new viruses.
New alumna Emily Barner literally capped off her year in rare form by decorating her mortarboard. Dr. Washington sent a photo of it to Graham Hatfull, SEA-PHAGES Lead Scientist at University of Pittsburgh. Immediately Emily’s cap with the picture of a phage and the phrase,"All the world's a phage" was tweeted by the university (see lower right hand corner on SEA-PHAGES homepage).
Congratulations to Emily, Hwa, Katherine and Kuan!
**Learn more about Nyack's BA in biology.
- Celebrating the Life of ATS Alumna Aliceteen Taylor
- AGSC's Marriage & Family Therapy Ranked #4 Among Top 25 Counseling Programs in the Northeast
- Nyack Basketball Alumni Compete at IBall National Pro Combine
- School of Ed Professors Recognized by American Educational Research Association
- Memorial Service for Robin Luce
- Division of Student Success Dean Hosts STEM Event for Rockland Youth
- Remembering Manuel Ocana: A Strong, Gentle Leader
- Nyack College Partners With Long Island School on NYS Presidential Scholarship
- Nyack Profs Present at The Great Fish Count
- 2017 Sports Camp for Youth at Nyack College
- Nyack Alumni Sean Pica and Luis Diaz on SiriusXM Broadcast
- Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
- Rockland Leaders Gather to Show Appreciation for Community Relations Director Earl Miller
- Remembering Robin Luce
- Nyack at its Best...Serving Others
- Nyack Artists Featured in East Village Multimedia Showcase
- Pastor Charles Galbreath Special Guest on Donna Baptiste Ministries Radio Broadcast
- School of Music Profs Conduct Three-Day Vocal/Opera Institute
- Nyack Alumnus Dr. Ty Buckman Named Provost at Mary Baldwin University
- 2017 Grads Are Nyack's Inaugural Class of Biology Majors
- Nyack Grads on "Good Morning, America" Segment
- Commitment to Mission Awards to Dean Glenn Koponen and Dean Wanda Velez
- The Legacy of Service at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary
- Soccer Team Online Fundraiser
- Dr. Ron Walborn at Christian Health Care Center on "Embracing Your Grief"
- Browse Blog Archive>>