Dean Wanda Velez--a Panelist for Women in Leadership Conference
Nyack College Associate Dean Wanda Velez (Rockland campus) was one of more than 600 women who recently attended the “Advancing Women In Leadership Conference" at Biola University in La Mirada, CA.
Morning speakers included Shirley Hoogstra, J.D., president of the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities (CCCU) and Dr. Kimberly Denu, vice president and chief diversity officer of Azusa Pacific University in Azusa, CA.
Dean Velez shares, "Both women charged the audience with a deep and empowering message about advancing in leadership roles at our institutions. The day’s itinerary included break-out sessions, among them, Cultivating Diversity in Leadership and Creative Pathways to Leadership: Moving Mountains in the Classroom and Beyond. The sessions were wonderful opportunities to network and connect with other women in leadership."
Mrs. Velez was on a panel led by Dr. Karen Longman, professor at Azusa Pacific University, on the concept of “sponsorship.” (Pictured: President Hoogstra, Dean Velez and Dr. Longman). This concept is explored in the book by Sylvia Ann Hewlett, Forget a Mentor, Find a Sponsor: The New Way to Fast Track Your Career. "During the workshop," Dean Velez adds, "we shared our personal experiences with mentors and sponsors within our institutions. We each were given the opportunity to draw from our experiences and knowledge of Hewlett’s book, which was used during a nine-month autoethnographic research project involving members of the 2015-2016 Multi-Ethnic Diversity Leadership Institute. I look forward to attending and continuing my relationship with the women in the CCCU. We have established a bond and a commitment to continue fulfilling our purpose and calling within our institutions."
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- TONIGHT: Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- FEB 24: Prof. Shelley Jameson and School of Music Alumnae in Concert
- FEB 27: Dr. Anita Underwood, a WMCA Networking Breakfast Panelist
- February 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Nyack's WNYK 88.7 FM Warrior Radio Airs Black History Month Features
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium Series
- Athletes Leadership Conference at Nyack College
- How a Nyack Sports Hero Was Celebrated
- First Hudson Link/Nyack College Graduation at Taconic Correctional Facility
- January 29-31: Deeper Life Series Speaker is Dr. Jonathan Shaw
- Browse Blog Archive>>