Dean Wanda Velez--a Panelist for Women in Leadership Conference
Nyack College Associate Dean Wanda Velez (Rockland campus) was one of more than 600 women who recently attended the “Advancing Women In Leadership Conference" at Biola University in La Mirada, CA.
Morning speakers included Shirley Hoogstra, J.D., president of the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities (CCCU) and Dr. Kimberly Denu, vice president and chief diversity officer of Azusa Pacific University in Azusa, CA.
Dean Velez shares, "Both women charged the audience with a deep and empowering message about advancing in leadership roles at our institutions. The day’s itinerary included break-out sessions, among them, Cultivating Diversity in Leadership and Creative Pathways to Leadership: Moving Mountains in the Classroom and Beyond. The sessions were wonderful opportunities to network and connect with other women in leadership."
Mrs. Velez was on a panel led by Dr. Karen Longman, professor at Azusa Pacific University, on the concept of “sponsorship.” (Pictured: President Hoogstra, Dean Velez and Dr. Longman). This concept is explored in the book by Sylvia Ann Hewlett, Forget a Mentor, Find a Sponsor: The New Way to Fast Track Your Career. "During the workshop," Dean Velez adds, "we shared our personal experiences with mentors and sponsors within our institutions. We each were given the opportunity to draw from our experiences and knowledge of Hewlett’s book, which was used during a nine-month autoethnographic research project involving members of the 2015-2016 Multi-Ethnic Diversity Leadership Institute. I look forward to attending and continuing my relationship with the women in the CCCU. We have established a bond and a commitment to continue fulfilling our purpose and calling within our institutions."
- SEPT 29: ATS Celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month
- September Alumni Spotlight on WNYK: Pastor Greg Haueter
- OCT 1: Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- OCT 2: GRAND OPENING for Cultivate Coffee
- Update on Nyack's Seminary Branch in Puerto Rico
- Countdown to Borderline Music Fest: Spotlight on Skerrit Bwoy
- TODAY: Fine Print Showcase at Bailey Library
- What Nyack Warriors Are Doing to Fight For Survivors of Recent Natural Disasters
- Nyack's Women's Soccer Team Fundraises for Pediatric Cancer Programs
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Request for Prayer: Hurricane Maria Approaches Puerto Rico
- EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
- Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
- SEPT: 18-20 Stephen Fowler, Deeper Life Series Speaker
- SEPT 18: Interview of Building 429's Jason Roy to Re-air on WNYK 88FM
- Fall 2017 Colloquium Series Hosted by Nyack's Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement
- Nyack College on U.S. News & World Report 2018 #BestColleges List
- SEPT 28: Biblical Archaeology Society and Nyack's Center for The Study of Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins NYC Event
- Free Coney Island Concert Nyack's Damien Sneed with Gospel Great, Shirley Caesar
- Nyack Rockland Dean's Personal 9/11 Reflection
- ATS Dean in Vietnam to Teach First Seminary Graduate Level Course
- UPDATE: ATS/Nyack Campus in Puerto Rico
- Diversity Matters: Race, Ethnicity, & The Future of Christian Higher Education
- Browse Blog Archive>>