Dean Wanda Velez--a Panelist for Women in Leadership Conference
Nyack College Associate Dean Wanda Velez (Rockland campus) was one of more than 600 women who recently attended the “Advancing Women In Leadership Conference" at Biola University in La Mirada, CA.
Morning speakers included Shirley Hoogstra, J.D., president of the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities (CCCU) and Dr. Kimberly Denu, vice president and chief diversity officer of Azusa Pacific University in Azusa, CA.
Dean Velez shares, "Both women charged the audience with a deep and empowering message about advancing in leadership roles at our institutions. The day’s itinerary included break-out sessions, among them, Cultivating Diversity in Leadership and Creative Pathways to Leadership: Moving Mountains in the Classroom and Beyond. The sessions were wonderful opportunities to network and connect with other women in leadership."
Mrs. Velez was on a panel led by Dr. Karen Longman, professor at Azusa Pacific University, on the concept of “sponsorship.” (Pictured: President Hoogstra, Dean Velez and Dr. Longman). This concept is explored in the book by Sylvia Ann Hewlett, Forget a Mentor, Find a Sponsor: The New Way to Fast Track Your Career. "During the workshop," Dean Velez adds, "we shared our personal experiences with mentors and sponsors within our institutions. We each were given the opportunity to draw from our experiences and knowledge of Hewlett’s book, which was used during a nine-month autoethnographic research project involving members of the 2015-2016 Multi-Ethnic Diversity Leadership Institute. I look forward to attending and continuing my relationship with the women in the CCCU. We have established a bond and a commitment to continue fulfilling our purpose and calling within our institutions."
- Remembering Robin Luce
- 2017 Sports Camp for Youth at Nyack College
- Nyack at its Best...Serving Others
- MAY 31: Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
- Nyack Artists Featured in East Village Multimedia Showcase
- Pastor Charles Galbreath Special Guest on Donna Baptiste Ministries Radio Broadcast
- School of Music Profs Conduct Three-Day Vocal/Opera Institute
- Nyack Alumnus Dr. Ty Buckman Named Provost at Mary Baldwin University
- 2017 Grads Are Nyack's Inaugural Class of Biology Majors
- Nyack Grads on "Good Morning, America" Segment
- Commitment to Mission Awards to Dean Glenn Koponen and Dean Wanda Velez
- The Legacy of Service at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary
- Soccer Team Online Fundraiser
- Dr. Ron Walborn at Christian Health Care Center on "Embracing Your Grief"
- NATIONAL NURSES WEEK: Cheryle Phenicie, R.N.
- Celebrating the School of Nursing's "Surviving Six"
- Class of 2017....You Did It!
- The Nyack College Fishing Club's Big Catch
- Non-Profit Awards Dr. Jackie Washington Fellowship for Ecology Project in Costa Rica
- Seventh Year for Woman...Rite of Passage Ceremony
- Meet the 2017-2018 NYC Campus Student Government Officers
- The Forum....Issue #6
- Nyack's Wakefield Wins CACC Conference Golf Championship
- Jonathan Demme, a Nyack Organizational Leadership Guest Speaker
- Nyack Honor Society Students Celebrated
- Browse Blog Archive>>