Nyack Alumna, Kathia Benitez Is Director of sustainNU program at Northwestern University
Kathia Benitez (NC ’05; ’09) is the director of sustainNU at Northwestern University in Evanston, IL. In the Office of Sustainability she is responsible for leadership and management to ensure integration of sustainable practices throughout the University’s campuses. She coordinates and oversees sustainability and energy efficiency programs in collaboration with students, faculty and staff.
Prior to joining the staff of Northwestern, Kathia was the senior manager for the U.S. Department of Energy's Better Buildings Initiative, providing direct oversight and strategic guidance for the Better Buildings Alliance and Better Building Challenge initiatives. She also served as a sector matter expert for healthcare organizations.
As the Corporate Energy Program Manager for New York Presbyterian Hospital, she managed an annual $60 million utility budget of a 12-million-square-foot building portfolio. At New York Presbyterian Hospital, several ENERGY STAR Awards for Sustained Excellence in Energy Management and Climate Communications were received. The hospital earned additional recognition from the American Society for Healthcare Engineering’s Energy to Care program, the Department of Energy Better Buildings Challenge, and Practice Greenhealth under her leadership.
Kathia earned an Interdisciplinary Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science in psychology and pastoral ministry and a Master of Arts in Counseling at Nyack. She was a former employee in Nyack's Office of Advancement.
She was recently profiled in the Winter 2017 Northwestern Neighborhood News publication.
- SEPT 29: ATS Celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month
- September Alumni Spotlight on WNYK: Pastor Greg Haueter
- OCT 1: Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- OCT 2: GRAND OPENING for Cultivate Coffee
- Update on Nyack's Seminary Branch in Puerto Rico
- Countdown to Borderline Music Fest: Spotlight on Skerrit Bwoy
- TODAY: Fine Print Showcase at Bailey Library
- What Nyack Warriors Are Doing to Fight For Survivors of Recent Natural Disasters
- Nyack's Women's Soccer Team Fundraises for Pediatric Cancer Programs
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Request for Prayer: Hurricane Maria Approaches Puerto Rico
- EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
- Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
- SEPT: 18-20 Stephen Fowler, Deeper Life Series Speaker
- SEPT 18: Interview of Building 429's Jason Roy to Re-air on WNYK 88FM
- Fall 2017 Colloquium Series Hosted by Nyack's Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement
- Nyack College on U.S. News & World Report 2018 #BestColleges List
- SEPT 28: Biblical Archaeology Society and Nyack's Center for The Study of Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins NYC Event
- Free Coney Island Concert Nyack's Damien Sneed with Gospel Great, Shirley Caesar
- Nyack Rockland Dean's Personal 9/11 Reflection
- ATS Dean in Vietnam to Teach First Seminary Graduate Level Course
- UPDATE: ATS/Nyack Campus in Puerto Rico
- Diversity Matters: Race, Ethnicity, & The Future of Christian Higher Education
- Browse Blog Archive>>