MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
The Evangelical Theological Society Northeast will hold its annual meeting at the Nyack College Rockland campus, 1 South Boulevard in Nyack, NY on Saturday, March 25 from 9:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. This event is open to students and the general public.
The keynote speaker is Dr. Guy P. Waters (pictured), the James M. Baird, Jr. New Testament professor at Reformed Theological Seminary (RTS) in Jackson, MS. Dr. Waters has a particular interest in the letters and theology of Paul, the use of Scripture in the New Testament and the Synoptic Gospels. Dr. Waters will present on Authority Issues from the Book of Acts. ("A New Perspective on Apostolicity? Authority and the Church in Acts" and "Mission in the Age of Trump: Authority, Church and State in Acts.")
Four Nyack College professors who will make presentations during the meeting include:
Dr. Cleotha Robertson: The Staff of God and the Polemic of Yahweh in the Book of Exodus. The study looks at the use of the staff in Exodus against both its biblical and Egyptian backgrounds. The examination of the term for staff points to its polemical use in the Exodus narratives.
Dr. David Emanuel: Towards an Old Testament Theology of Work. The paper surveys words and expressions that reflect the notion of "work" in the Old Testament. It then relates the Old Testament concepts to our contemprary understanding of work.
Dr. Jefferey Garcia: The Historical Jesus, a Tanna? Rabbinic Discourse on Charity and Deeds of Loving Kindness in the Gospels and Early Rabbinic Thought. This is study is intended to compare two pericopae from the Synoptic Gospels with texts from early Rabbinic literature, and consider some of the importance of using the latter for uncovering some of the earliest Jesus traditions.
Dr. R. Steven Notley: (Nyack's Director of Graduate Programs in Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins): Reimagining the Parables of Jesus. The study is intended to encourage a reimagining of the Gospel parables in light of the broader rabbinic genre in order to better identify the theological message of the historical Jesus.
Visit the Evangelical Theological Society website to learn more about registration and details on the daylong conference.
- Remembering Robin Luce
- 2017 Sports Camp for Youth at Nyack College
- Nyack at its Best...Serving Others
- MAY 31: Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
- Nyack Artists Featured in East Village Multimedia Showcase
- Pastor Charles Galbreath Special Guest on Donna Baptiste Ministries Radio Broadcast
- School of Music Profs Conduct Three-Day Vocal/Opera Institute
- Nyack Alumnus Dr. Ty Buckman Named Provost at Mary Baldwin University
- 2017 Grads Are Nyack's Inaugural Class of Biology Majors
- Nyack Grads on "Good Morning, America" Segment
- Commitment to Mission Awards to Dean Glenn Koponen and Dean Wanda Velez
- The Legacy of Service at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary
- Soccer Team Online Fundraiser
- Dr. Ron Walborn at Christian Health Care Center on "Embracing Your Grief"
- NATIONAL NURSES WEEK: Cheryle Phenicie, R.N.
- Celebrating the School of Nursing's "Surviving Six"
- Class of 2017....You Did It!
- The Nyack College Fishing Club's Big Catch
- Non-Profit Awards Dr. Jackie Washington Fellowship for Ecology Project in Costa Rica
- Seventh Year for Woman...Rite of Passage Ceremony
- Meet the 2017-2018 NYC Campus Student Government Officers
- The Forum....Issue #6
- Nyack's Wakefield Wins CACC Conference Golf Championship
- Jonathan Demme, a Nyack Organizational Leadership Guest Speaker
- Nyack Honor Society Students Celebrated
- Browse Blog Archive>>