MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
The Evangelical Theological Society Northeast will hold its annual meeting at the Nyack College Rockland campus, 1 South Boulevard in Nyack, NY on Saturday, March 25 from 9:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. This event is open to students and the general public.
The keynote speaker is Dr. Guy P. Waters (pictured), the James M. Baird, Jr. New Testament professor at Reformed Theological Seminary (RTS) in Jackson, MS. Dr. Waters has a particular interest in the letters and theology of Paul, the use of Scripture in the New Testament and the Synoptic Gospels. Dr. Waters will present on Authority Issues from the Book of Acts. ("A New Perspective on Apostolicity? Authority and the Church in Acts" and "Mission in the Age of Trump: Authority, Church and State in Acts.")
Four Nyack College professors who will make presentations during the meeting include:
Dr. Cleotha Robertson: The Staff of God and the Polemic of Yahweh in the Book of Exodus. The study looks at the use of the staff in Exodus against both its biblical and Egyptian backgrounds. The examination of the term for staff points to its polemical use in the Exodus narratives.
Dr. David Emanuel: Towards an Old Testament Theology of Work. The paper surveys words and expressions that reflect the notion of "work" in the Old Testament. It then relates the Old Testament concepts to our contemprary understanding of work.
Dr. Jefferey Garcia: The Historical Jesus, a Tanna? Rabbinic Discourse on Charity and Deeds of Loving Kindness in the Gospels and Early Rabbinic Thought. This is study is intended to compare two pericopae from the Synoptic Gospels with texts from early Rabbinic literature, and consider some of the importance of using the latter for uncovering some of the earliest Jesus traditions.
Dr. R. Steven Notley: (Nyack's Director of Graduate Programs in Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins): Reimagining the Parables of Jesus. The study is intended to encourage a reimagining of the Gospel parables in light of the broader rabbinic genre in order to better identify the theological message of the historical Jesus.
Visit the Evangelical Theological Society website to learn more about registration and details on the daylong conference.
- Tickets On Sale for United Praise Gospel Concert August 11 at Barclays Center
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, "Mutual by Design" Conference Speaker
- Lauren Lebo, Lacrosse Head Coach
- SAVE THE DATES! September 29 & 30: Borderline Music Festival
- El-Araj Excavation Update and Photo Gallery
- RELEASE: Nyack College Opts In to the NYS Enhanced Tuition Award
- From Dr. Steve Notley in Israel: AJCO Dig Discovery!
- AGSC's Marriage & Family Therapy Ranked #4 Among Top 25 Counseling Programs in the Northeast
- Nyack Basketball Alumni Compete at IBall National Pro Combine
- School of Ed Professors Recognized by American Educational Research Association
- Celebrating the Life of ATS Alumna Aliceteen Taylor
- Memorial Service for Robin Luce
- Division of Student Success Dean Hosts STEM Event for Rockland Youth
- Remembering Manuel Ocana: A Strong, Gentle Leader
- Nyack College Partners With Long Island School on NYS Presidential Scholarship
- Nyack Profs Present at The Great Fish Count
- 2017 Sports Camp for Youth at Nyack College
- Nyack Alumni Sean Pica and Luis Diaz on SiriusXM Broadcast
- Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
- Rockland Leaders Gather to Show Appreciation for Community Relations Director Earl Miller
- Remembering Robin Luce
- Nyack at its Best...Serving Others
- Nyack Artists Featured in East Village Multimedia Showcase
- Pastor Charles Galbreath Special Guest on Donna Baptiste Ministries Radio Broadcast
- School of Music Profs Conduct Three-Day Vocal/Opera Institute
- Browse Blog Archive>>