MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
The Evangelical Theological Society Northeast will hold its annual meeting at the Nyack College Rockland campus, 1 South Boulevard in Nyack, NY on Saturday, March 25 from 9:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. This event is open to students and the general public.
The keynote speaker is Dr. Guy P. Waters (pictured), the James M. Baird, Jr. New Testament professor at Reformed Theological Seminary (RTS) in Jackson, MS. Dr. Waters has a particular interest in the letters and theology of Paul, the use of Scripture in the New Testament and the Synoptic Gospels. Dr. Waters will present on Authority Issues from the Book of Acts. ("A New Perspective on Apostolicity? Authority and the Church in Acts" and "Mission in the Age of Trump: Authority, Church and State in Acts.")
Four Nyack College professors who will make presentations during the meeting include:
Dr. Cleotha Robertson: The Staff of God and the Polemic of Yahweh in the Book of Exodus. The study looks at the use of the staff in Exodus against both its biblical and Egyptian backgrounds. The examination of the term for staff points to its polemical use in the Exodus narratives.
Dr. David Emanuel: Towards an Old Testament Theology of Work. The paper surveys words and expressions that reflect the notion of "work" in the Old Testament. It then relates the Old Testament concepts to our contemprary understanding of work.
Dr. Jefferey Garcia: The Historical Jesus, a Tanna? Rabbinic Discourse on Charity and Deeds of Loving Kindness in the Gospels and Early Rabbinic Thought. This is study is intended to compare two pericopae from the Synoptic Gospels with texts from early Rabbinic literature, and consider some of the importance of using the latter for uncovering some of the earliest Jesus traditions.
Dr. R. Steven Notley: (Nyack's Director of Graduate Programs in Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins): Reimagining the Parables of Jesus. The study is intended to encourage a reimagining of the Gospel parables in light of the broader rabbinic genre in order to better identify the theological message of the historical Jesus.
Visit the Evangelical Theological Society website to learn more about registration and details on the daylong conference.
- SEPT 29: ATS Celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month
- September Alumni Spotlight on WNYK: Pastor Greg Haueter
- OCT 1: Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- OCT 2: GRAND OPENING for Cultivate Coffee
- Update on Nyack's Seminary Branch in Puerto Rico
- Countdown to Borderline Music Fest: Spotlight on Skerrit Bwoy
- TODAY: Fine Print Showcase at Bailey Library
- What Nyack Warriors Are Doing to Fight For Survivors of Recent Natural Disasters
- Nyack's Women's Soccer Team Fundraises for Pediatric Cancer Programs
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Request for Prayer: Hurricane Maria Approaches Puerto Rico
- EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
- Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
- SEPT: 18-20 Stephen Fowler, Deeper Life Series Speaker
- SEPT 18: Interview of Building 429's Jason Roy to Re-air on WNYK 88FM
- Fall 2017 Colloquium Series Hosted by Nyack's Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement
- Nyack College on U.S. News & World Report 2018 #BestColleges List
- SEPT 28: Biblical Archaeology Society and Nyack's Center for The Study of Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins NYC Event
- Free Coney Island Concert Nyack's Damien Sneed with Gospel Great, Shirley Caesar
- Nyack Rockland Dean's Personal 9/11 Reflection
- ATS Dean in Vietnam to Teach First Seminary Graduate Level Course
- UPDATE: ATS/Nyack Campus in Puerto Rico
- Diversity Matters: Race, Ethnicity, & The Future of Christian Higher Education
- Browse Blog Archive>>