MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
The Evangelical Theological Society Northeast will hold its annual meeting at the Nyack College Rockland campus, 1 South Boulevard in Nyack, NY on Saturday, March 25 from 9:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. This event is open to students and the general public.
The keynote speaker is Dr. Guy P. Waters (pictured), the James M. Baird, Jr. New Testament professor at Reformed Theological Seminary (RTS) in Jackson, MS. Dr. Waters has a particular interest in the letters and theology of Paul, the use of Scripture in the New Testament and the Synoptic Gospels. Dr. Waters will present on Authority Issues from the Book of Acts. ("A New Perspective on Apostolicity? Authority and the Church in Acts" and "Mission in the Age of Trump: Authority, Church and State in Acts.")
Four Nyack College professors who will make presentations during the meeting include:
Dr. Cleotha Robertson: The Staff of God and the Polemic of Yahweh in the Book of Exodus. The study looks at the use of the staff in Exodus against both its biblical and Egyptian backgrounds. The examination of the term for staff points to its polemical use in the Exodus narratives.
Dr. David Emanuel: Towards an Old Testament Theology of Work. The paper surveys words and expressions that reflect the notion of "work" in the Old Testament. It then relates the Old Testament concepts to our contemprary understanding of work.
Dr. Jefferey Garcia: The Historical Jesus, a Tanna? Rabbinic Discourse on Charity and Deeds of Loving Kindness in the Gospels and Early Rabbinic Thought. This is study is intended to compare two pericopae from the Synoptic Gospels with texts from early Rabbinic literature, and consider some of the importance of using the latter for uncovering some of the earliest Jesus traditions.
Dr. R. Steven Notley: (Nyack's Director of Graduate Programs in Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins): Reimagining the Parables of Jesus. The study is intended to encourage a reimagining of the Gospel parables in light of the broader rabbinic genre in order to better identify the theological message of the historical Jesus.
Visit the Evangelical Theological Society website to learn more about registration and details on the daylong conference.
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico...Firm and Persevering!
- Nyack Warriors Fight Strong for Breast Cancer Awareness
- 2017 Seed to Harvest Seminar Hosted by Donna Baptiste Ministries
- '08 ATS Alumnus and Young Adults Pastor Adds Executive Director Role to Ministry
- Faculty Recital Features Dr. Tammy Lum
- Nyack Dean to Azusa Pacific Director: Coast to Coast Mentoring
- Nyack Warriors Basketball Podcast
- A Nyack College Cast Revives Lin-Manuel Miranda's "In the Heights"
- Puerto Rico Seminary Community Outreach to Families
- NOV 15: WMCA Radio 570AM Networking Breakfast at Nyack New York City Campus
- Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Nyack School of Music Students Perform at Market Street Mission
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Hosts Colloquium Series
- Prayer Summit 2017 With Dave Powers
- Browse Blog Archive>>