MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
The Evangelical Theological Society Northeast will hold its annual meeting at the Nyack College Rockland campus, 1 South Boulevard in Nyack, NY on Saturday, March 25 from 9:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. This event is open to students and the general public.
The keynote speaker is Dr. Guy P. Waters (pictured), the James M. Baird, Jr. New Testament professor at Reformed Theological Seminary (RTS) in Jackson, MS. Dr. Waters has a particular interest in the letters and theology of Paul, the use of Scripture in the New Testament and the Synoptic Gospels. Dr. Waters will present on Authority Issues from the Book of Acts. ("A New Perspective on Apostolicity? Authority and the Church in Acts" and "Mission in the Age of Trump: Authority, Church and State in Acts.")
Four Nyack College professors who will make presentations during the meeting include:
Dr. Cleotha Robertson: The Staff of God and the Polemic of Yahweh in the Book of Exodus. The study looks at the use of the staff in Exodus against both its biblical and Egyptian backgrounds. The examination of the term for staff points to its polemical use in the Exodus narratives.
Dr. David Emanuel: Towards an Old Testament Theology of Work. The paper surveys words and expressions that reflect the notion of "work" in the Old Testament. It then relates the Old Testament concepts to our contemprary understanding of work.
Dr. Jefferey Garcia: The Historical Jesus, a Tanna? Rabbinic Discourse on Charity and Deeds of Loving Kindness in the Gospels and Early Rabbinic Thought. This is study is intended to compare two pericopae from the Synoptic Gospels with texts from early Rabbinic literature, and consider some of the importance of using the latter for uncovering some of the earliest Jesus traditions.
Dr. R. Steven Notley: (Nyack's Director of Graduate Programs in Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins): Reimagining the Parables of Jesus. The study is intended to encourage a reimagining of the Gospel parables in light of the broader rabbinic genre in order to better identify the theological message of the historical Jesus.
Visit the Evangelical Theological Society website to learn more about registration and details on the daylong conference.
- Summer 2017 Research Grants for Nyack Faculty Announced
- Issachah Savage Conducts Masterclass for Nyack Music Students
- Nyack College Helps Keep Rockland Beautiful
- APRIL 23: Nyack's "La Traviata" Performance Will Benefit Ottawa, IL Tornado Victims
- Warriors Men’s Soccer Loses 4-3 to United States Military Academy in Spring Finale
- Nyack Music Faculty/Alumnus ('09) Carlos Cuestas at Watchung Arts Center
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary 2017 Commencement
- Fishing Club Fundraiser
- Bill Roesch of Impact Paterson Begins Coaching Business Venture Competition Winners
- Nyack Bio Students Present at SEA PHAGES Conference
- High Praise in the Lincoln Center "Sanctuary"
- Winners of the Nyack College 2017 Student Research Conference Announced
- Dean Wanda Velez--a Panelist for Women in Leadership Conference
- Dr. James Danaher, INDIES Book of the Year Awards Finalist
- The Art of Photography With Rebecca Przywara
- Dr. Lawrence Resseler Conducts School of Social Work Seminar
- English Department Welcomes Author Steven Florczyk to the Nyack Rockland Campus
- CSGE Colloquium Features Dr. Larry Poston
- The Music of Dr. Tammy Lum Featured on WWFM.org., the Classical Network
- CSGE Releases Digital Brochure for April 4 Student Research Conference
- Nyack College School of Business Hosts Competition for Local Entrepreneurs
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Nyack Alumnus Sean Pica Named to Alliance for Higher Education in Prison Founding Board
- New Edition of The Forum Published
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Browse Blog Archive>>