MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
The Nyack College Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins (AJCO) program will present “An Authors Evening: Writing Academically for a Popular Audience” on Thursday, March 2, 2017, 6:30-8:00 p.m. at the New York City Campus, 2 Washington Street, 21st floor, Room 2241. Featured speakers will be Dr. Burton L. Visotzky, Dr. Steven Fine and Dr. R. Steven Notley.
ABOUT BURTON L. VISOTZKY
Dr. Visotzky's writing is published in America, Europe, and Israel. He is the author of ten books and more than 120 articles and reviews. His eleventh book is Aphrodite and the Rabbis: How the Jews Adapted Roman Culture to Create Judaism As We Know It (published September 2016). He is also co-editing a three-volume compendium, Judaism, which will be published in the prestigious series The Religions of Humanity, due out in 2019 by Kohlhammer Publishing of Stuttgart. To learn more about Dr. Visotzky.
ABOUT DR. FINE
Dr. Fine is a cultural historian, specializing in Jewish history in the Greco-Roman period. His work focuses mainly on the literature of ancient Judaism, art and archaeology—and the ways that modern scholars have interpreted Jewish antiquity. Professor Fine’s most recent monograph, Art and Judaism in the Greco-Roman World: Toward a New Jewish Archaeology (Cambridge, 2005, revised edition 2010) received the 2009 Jordan Schnitzer Book Award of the Association for Jewish Studies. He is an editor of IMAGES: A Journal for the Study of Jewish Art and Visual Culture and section editor for Judaica of the Cambridge World History of Religious Architecture (forthcoming). A collection of his essays will be published by HaKibbutz Hameuchad Publishers in their prestigious Hillel Ben Hayyim series in Hebrew. Learn more about Dr. Fine.
ABOUT DR. NOTELY
AJCO Program Director R. Steven Notley lived in Jerusalem for sixteen years and received his Ph.D. in Comparative Religions from the Hebrew University, where he studied under the late Professor David Flusser. He is a recognized leader in his field and continues to publish collaboratively with Israeli scholars. Among his list of publications, he coauthored, with Flusser, The Sage from Galilee: Rediscovering Jesus’ Genius (Eerdmans 2007), with Ze’ev Safrai, Eusebius, Onomasticon: A Triglott Edition with Notes and Commentary (Brill 2005), and, with Anson Rainey, the monumental biblical atlas The Sacred Bridge: Carta’s Atlas of the Biblical World (Carta 2005). Recently he completed his second work with Safrai, a pioneering collection and annotated translation of the earliest rabbinic parables that provide the literary and religious context for the parables of Jesus, Parables of the Sages (Carta 2011).
To learn more about Nyack’s graduate degree program in Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins, click here.
- Tickets On Sale for United Praise Gospel Concert August 11 at Barclays Center
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, "Mutual by Design" Conference Speaker
- Lauren Lebo, Lacrosse Head Coach
- SAVE THE DATES! September 29 & 30: Borderline Music Festival
- El-Araj Excavation Update and Photo Gallery
- RELEASE: Nyack College Opts In to the NYS Enhanced Tuition Award
- From Dr. Steve Notley in Israel: AJCO Dig Discovery!
- AGSC's Marriage & Family Therapy Ranked #4 Among Top 25 Counseling Programs in the Northeast
- Nyack Basketball Alumni Compete at IBall National Pro Combine
- School of Ed Professors Recognized by American Educational Research Association
- Celebrating the Life of ATS Alumna Aliceteen Taylor
- Memorial Service for Robin Luce
- Division of Student Success Dean Hosts STEM Event for Rockland Youth
- Remembering Manuel Ocana: A Strong, Gentle Leader
- Nyack College Partners With Long Island School on NYS Presidential Scholarship
- Nyack Profs Present at The Great Fish Count
- 2017 Sports Camp for Youth at Nyack College
- Nyack Alumni Sean Pica and Luis Diaz on SiriusXM Broadcast
- Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
- Rockland Leaders Gather to Show Appreciation for Community Relations Director Earl Miller
- Remembering Robin Luce
- Nyack at its Best...Serving Others
- Nyack Artists Featured in East Village Multimedia Showcase
- Pastor Charles Galbreath Special Guest on Donna Baptiste Ministries Radio Broadcast
- School of Music Profs Conduct Three-Day Vocal/Opera Institute
- Browse Blog Archive>>