Recapturing the Art of Writing Love Letters
Dr. Jonathan Gates, Nyack College English department chair and director the Nyack College Honors Program and his wife, Nancy Gates, College Relations Manager of Special Events, will be the special guests of Nyack’s Writing Center at the Rockland campus on Thursday, February 16 from 9:15 p.m.-10:30 p.m. They will lead a discussion on “The Lost Art of Writing a Love Letter” in the Center located on the second floor above Bailey Library.
No strangers to the joys and challenges of married life, the couple celebrated their 30th wedding anniversary last summer.
The union of these longtime lovers evolved innocently enough: she a freshman and he a senior met through mutual college friends. After spending a spring semester getting to know one another, he headed to graduate school in Ohio and she remained in Western New York for the next year. And the love letters started.
They share, “Over the years—filled with further academic study, the arrival of seven children, settling into Nyack, and teaching our children—the love letters have slowed and shortened, but the relationship has grown through life's trials and blessings.”
Come out and enjoy a heart-warming exchange with one of the Rockland campus’s beloved couples.
Click here to learn about the Nyack Rockland Writing Center directed by Prof. Beverly Locke.
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Feb 22: Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- TODAY: Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- FEB 24: Prof. Shelley Jameson and School of Music Alumnae in Concert
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- February 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Nyack's WNYK 88.7 FM Warrior Radio Airs Black History Month Features
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium Series
- Athletes Leadership Conference at Nyack College
- How a Nyack Sports Hero Was Celebrated
- First Hudson Link/Nyack College Graduation at Taconic Correctional Facility
- January 29-31: Deeper Life Series Speaker is Dr. Jonathan Shaw
- "Dan Bailey Day" at Nyack
- Browse Blog Archive>>