Recapturing the Art of Writing Love Letters
Dr. Jonathan Gates, Nyack College English department chair and director the Nyack College Honors Program and his wife, Nancy Gates, College Relations Manager of Special Events, will be the special guests of Nyack’s Writing Center at the Rockland campus on Thursday, February 16 from 9:15 p.m.-10:30 p.m. They will lead a discussion on “The Lost Art of Writing a Love Letter” in the Center located on the second floor above Bailey Library.
No strangers to the joys and challenges of married life, the couple celebrated their 30th wedding anniversary last summer.
The union of these longtime lovers evolved innocently enough: she a freshman and he a senior met through mutual college friends. After spending a spring semester getting to know one another, he headed to graduate school in Ohio and she remained in Western New York for the next year. And the love letters started.
They share, “Over the years—filled with further academic study, the arrival of seven children, settling into Nyack, and teaching our children—the love letters have slowed and shortened, but the relationship has grown through life's trials and blessings.”
Come out and enjoy a heart-warming exchange with one of the Rockland campus’s beloved couples.
Click here to learn about the Nyack Rockland Writing Center directed by Prof. Beverly Locke.
- MARCH 31: Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- OPENING MARCH 31: Nyack's Spring Play: The Importance of Being Earnest
- The Art of Photography With Rebecca Przywara
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Nyack Alumnus Sean Pica Named to Alliance for Higher Education in Prison Founding Board
- New Edition of The Forum Published
- Nyack College Opera Workshop Presents Verdi's "La Traviata"
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Nyack Alumna, Kathia Benitez Is Director of sustainNU program at Northwestern University
- Alliance Graduate School of Counseling Reunion at NYC Campus
- Bach's 332nd Birthday Bash
- The Gates Way to Medieval Times
- March 18: Hudson River Pianofest 2017 at Nyack College
- President Michael G. Scales to Begin New Term on CICU Board
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack School of Music Students on Harry Connick Jr. Show
- What Is Love? Nyack Rockland Artists Answer the Question
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Founder/CEO Evelyn Bautista-Miller Is CSGE Colloquium Speaker
- ATS Missions Retreat at Mount Crescent House
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- Fifth Anniversary Celebration & Silent Auction to Benefit Empower Program
- Browse Blog Archive>>