WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
Nyack College Department of Communications Chair and Program Director for WNYK 88.7 FM Warrior Radio, Dr. Sharron Greaves has announced that regularly scheduled February programming will celebrate the contributions of African Americans to our nation’s history. These Black History Month tributes will feature profiles of prominent or unsung men and women. The highlights will air daily with regular rotation on WNYK.
The forerunner of Black History Month was established in 1926 in the United States by Carter G. Woodson and the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History. It was first known as "Negro History Week” and was observed annually the second week of February.
University of Chicago and Harvard University-educated Woodson is said to have chosen that week because it fell during the week of the birthdates of U.S. President Abraham Lincoln and African American abolitionist, author and orator Frederick Douglass.
The Carter G. Woodson African American Museum carries on the legacy of Dr. Woodson, who died in 1950. The mission of the museum is to “preserve, present, and interpret African American history and to engage a broad and diverse audience.”
Continuing that tradition of preserving black history, the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History & Culture opened its doors in Washington, D.C. in September 2016.
- Tickets On Sale for United Praise Gospel Concert August 11 at Barclays Center
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, "Mutual by Design" Conference Speaker
- Lauren Lebo, Lacrosse Head Coach
- SAVE THE DATES! September 29 & 30: Borderline Music Festival
- El-Araj Excavation Update and Photo Gallery
- RELEASE: Nyack College Opts In to the NYS Enhanced Tuition Award
- From Dr. Steve Notley in Israel: AJCO Dig Discovery!
- AGSC's Marriage & Family Therapy Ranked #4 Among Top 25 Counseling Programs in the Northeast
- Nyack Basketball Alumni Compete at IBall National Pro Combine
- School of Ed Professors Recognized by American Educational Research Association
- Celebrating the Life of ATS Alumna Aliceteen Taylor
- Memorial Service for Robin Luce
- Division of Student Success Dean Hosts STEM Event for Rockland Youth
- Remembering Manuel Ocana: A Strong, Gentle Leader
- Nyack College Partners With Long Island School on NYS Presidential Scholarship
- Nyack Profs Present at The Great Fish Count
- 2017 Sports Camp for Youth at Nyack College
- Nyack Alumni Sean Pica and Luis Diaz on SiriusXM Broadcast
- Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
- Rockland Leaders Gather to Show Appreciation for Community Relations Director Earl Miller
- Remembering Robin Luce
- Nyack at its Best...Serving Others
- Nyack Artists Featured in East Village Multimedia Showcase
- Pastor Charles Galbreath Special Guest on Donna Baptiste Ministries Radio Broadcast
- School of Music Profs Conduct Three-Day Vocal/Opera Institute
- Browse Blog Archive>>