Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
Dr. Jacqueline Washington, Nyack College Biology and Chemistry Department Chair was notified by Dr. Welkin Hazel Pope, SEA-PHAGES Science Coordinator at the University of Pittsburgh, that the article she contributed to, “Prophage-mediated defence against viral attack and viral counter-defence” will appear in the March issue of Nature Microbiology, an online publication. The official release date is February 22.
Dr. Washington is also a PULSE (Partnership for Undergraduate Life Sciences Education) Vision and Change Leadership Fellow. She explained, "The results of the experiment in question were unexpected, but it's a blessing that it was presented several years ago at the annual SEA-PHAGES Symposium, as we were one of the first (if not the first) to observe the initial phenomenon which we now know to be a result of a defense system against viruses." (To read the article's Advance Online version, click here.)
Dr. Washington adds, "The paper in part is based on the phage MichelleMyBell, which was one of the phages first isolated at Nyack College by student Jake Hackel in 2012. It was the first of our phages for which the DNA was sequenced when we started in the SEA-PHAGES program. Jake isolated MichelleMyBell from soil obtained near the Bailey Library on Nyack’s Rockland County campus.
Congratulations to Dr. Washington and her students!
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Request for Prayer: Hurricane Maria Approaches Puerto Rico
- EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
- Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
- SEPT: 18-20 Stephen Fowler, Deeper Life Series Speaker
- SEPT 18: Interview of Building 429's Jason Roy to Re-air on WNYK 88FM
- Fall 2017 Colloquium Series Hosted by Nyack's Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement
- Nyack College on U.S. News & World Report 2018 #BestColleges List
- SEPT 28: Biblical Archaeology Society and Nyack's Center for The Study of Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins NYC Event
- Free Coney Island Concert Nyack's Damien Sneed with Gospel Great, Shirley Caesar
- Nyack Rockland Dean's Personal 9/11 Reflection
- ATS Dean in Vietnam to Teach First Seminary Graduate Level Course
- UPDATE: ATS/Nyack Campus in Puerto Rico
- Diversity Matters: Race, Ethnicity, & The Future of Christian Higher Education
- Listening Party for ISAIAH VELEZ
- Jesus Week Appreciation Banquet, Sept. 7 @6:30 PM
- Youth Pastors Fellowship at Nyack College NYC
- Dan Bailey Named to the CACC Hall of Fame
- An NCLEX-RN Exam Victory for Class of 2017 Alumnae
- Nyack College - A Borderline Music Festival Sponsor
- Andrew Iwaskow, Nyack Alumnus Named Executive VP at Tailored Brands, Inc.
- In a World of Darkness: Light...and Love
- 2017 Top Online Colleges for Student Economic Mobility
- Rev. G. Palmer Pardington, III (1939-2017) to Be Memorialized
- New Testament City of Bethsaida Unearthed?
- Browse Blog Archive>>