Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
Dr. Jacqueline Washington, Nyack College Biology and Chemistry Department Chair was notified by Dr. Welkin Hazel Pope, SEA-PHAGES Science Coordinator at the University of Pittsburgh, that the article she contributed to, “Prophage-mediated defence against viral attack and viral counter-defence” will appear in the March issue of Nature Microbiology, an online publication. The official release date is February 22.
Dr. Washington is also a PULSE (Partnership for Undergraduate Life Sciences Education) Vision and Change Leadership Fellow. She explained, "The results of the experiment in question were unexpected, but it's a blessing that it was presented several years ago at the annual SEA-PHAGES Symposium, as we were one of the first (if not the first) to observe the initial phenomenon which we now know to be a result of a defense system against viruses." (To read the article's Advance Online version, click here.)
Dr. Washington adds, "The paper in part is based on the phage MichelleMyBell, which was one of the phages first isolated at Nyack College by student Jake Hackel in 2012. It was the first of our phages for which the DNA was sequenced when we started in the SEA-PHAGES program. Jake isolated MichelleMyBell from soil obtained near the Bailey Library on Nyack’s Rockland County campus.
Congratulations to Dr. Washington and her students!
- Tune In For a Special WNKY Segment With The Center for Human Development and Family Services
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- MARCH 3: Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- FEB 18: Purpose Performs at Katonah Village Library
- Nyack Students Participate in NY Student Aid Alliance Event
- Recapturing the Art of Writing Love Letters
- Meet Dynamic NY Talent Trinity Rose on WNYK 88.7FM
- Accreditation Renewed for Nyack by the Association of Christian Schools International
- 2017 Alumni & Friends Phonathon Underway
- Yahoo! for Krysten Peek and Her 7-Continent Run
- Nyack Center Announces Winners of the Martin Luther King Oratory Contest
- Rev. Charles Galbreath--Nyack Chapel Speaker
- Deeper Life Series with Dr. Michael and Mrs. Lisa Plunket
- Udo Middelmann, Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- Browse Blog Archive>>