Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
Dr. Jacqueline Washington, Nyack College Biology and Chemistry Department Chair was notified by Dr. Welkin Hazel Pope, SEA-PHAGES Science Coordinator at the University of Pittsburgh, that the article she contributed to, “Prophage-mediated defence against viral attack and viral counter-defence” will appear in the March issue of Nature Microbiology, an online publication. The official release date is February 22.
Dr. Washington is also a PULSE (Partnership for Undergraduate Life Sciences Education) Vision and Change Leadership Fellow. She explained, "The results of the experiment in question were unexpected, but it's a blessing that it was presented several years ago at the annual SEA-PHAGES Symposium, as we were one of the first (if not the first) to observe the initial phenomenon which we now know to be a result of a defense system against viruses." (To read the article's Advance Online version, click here.)
Dr. Washington adds, "The paper in part is based on the phage MichelleMyBell, which was one of the phages first isolated at Nyack College by student Jake Hackel in 2012. It was the first of our phages for which the DNA was sequenced when we started in the SEA-PHAGES program. Jake isolated MichelleMyBell from soil obtained near the Bailey Library on Nyack’s Rockland County campus.
Congratulations to Dr. Washington and her students!
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Feb 22: Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- TODAY: Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- FEB 24: Prof. Shelley Jameson and School of Music Alumnae in Concert
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- February 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Nyack's WNYK 88.7 FM Warrior Radio Airs Black History Month Features
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium Series
- Athletes Leadership Conference at Nyack College
- How a Nyack Sports Hero Was Celebrated
- First Hudson Link/Nyack College Graduation at Taconic Correctional Facility
- January 29-31: Deeper Life Series Speaker is Dr. Jonathan Shaw
- "Dan Bailey Day" at Nyack
- Browse Blog Archive>>