Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
Dr. Jacqueline Washington, Nyack College Biology and Chemistry Department Chair was notified by Dr. Welkin Hazel Pope, SEA-PHAGES Science Coordinator at the University of Pittsburgh, that the article she contributed to, “Prophage-mediated defence against viral attack and viral counter-defence” will appear in the March issue of Nature Microbiology, an online publication. The official release date is February 22.
Dr. Washington is also a PULSE (Partnership for Undergraduate Life Sciences Education) Vision and Change Leadership Fellow. She explained, "The results of the experiment in question were unexpected, but it's a blessing that it was presented several years ago at the annual SEA-PHAGES Symposium, as we were one of the first (if not the first) to observe the initial phenomenon which we now know to be a result of a defense system against viruses." (To read the article's Advance Online version, click here.)
Dr. Washington adds, "The paper in part is based on the phage MichelleMyBell, which was one of the phages first isolated at Nyack College by student Jake Hackel in 2012. It was the first of our phages for which the DNA was sequenced when we started in the SEA-PHAGES program. Jake isolated MichelleMyBell from soil obtained near the Bailey Library on Nyack’s Rockland County campus.
Congratulations to Dr. Washington and her students!
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Nyack's Spring Production: The Importance of Being Earnest
- Nyack Alumna, Kathia Benitez Is Director of sustainNU program at Northwestern University
- Alliance Graduate School of Counseling Reunion at NYC Campus
- Bach's 332nd Birthday Bash
- Nyack College Opera Workshop Presents Verdi's "La Traviata"
- The Gates Way to Medieval Times
- March 18: Hudson River Pianofest 2017 at Nyack College
- President Michael G. Scales to Begin New Term on CICU Board
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack School of Music Students on Harry Connick Jr. Show
- What Is Love? Nyack Rockland Artists Answer the Question
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Founder/CEO Evelyn Bautista-Miller Is CSGE Colloquium Speaker
- ATS Missions Retreat at Mount Crescent House
- Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- Fifth Anniversary Celebration & Silent Auction to Benefit Empower Program
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- Browse Blog Archive>>