What You Can Discover at Nyack
You never know what you’ll find when you’re studying at Nyack College. Sometimes you find yourself.
What causes the “aha” moment?
Often being immersed in the campus environment infused with Nyack’s core values (academically excellent, globally engaged, intentionally diverse, personally transforming and socially relevant) puts you in touch with the calling God intended even before your arrival on one of the campuses.
"I was terrified when I first started at Nyack,” Joanne Pelino explains. “I wanted to drop out every five minutes during my first semester, but I stayed, did my best, prayed a lot, and shockingly I ended up with three A's. So, I came back, and I just kept going.”
Previously in her role as an emergency room technician, Joanne made daily contact with a literal mission field of people with needs—and not all physical. She was convinced the social work degree would equip her for the career in compassionately impacting lives, especially those whose lives were broken by the affliction of substance abuse or homelessness.
After a conversation with the chair of Nyack's Pastoral Ministry Department about the heart tug towards ministry, her questions were answered and her major was changed the same day. However, the plan to become a full-time student was delayed when her pet dog fell victim to a health crisis creating a hefty medical bill. That required her to work at least part-time.
Joanne learned that student workers were being hired in the Office of Admissions on Nyack’s Rockland campus. Not long after, she was using her people skills at the Admissions front desk.
Now a junior who reached her goal of full-time studies this year, she confidently says, “I know this is where God wants me to be. I am amazed at what I have been able to do, but I give all of the praise to God because I would not be able to do it on my own. I feel so blessed to be a student here and to be working in Admissions. I have met so many amazing people who always encourage me, and I try to do the same for them. I have grown so much as a person, especially spiritually. Being a student here is definitely a life-changing experience."
- Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary Alumni at Metro District Conference "Expectation"
- OCT 20-21: Movement Day New York City
- OCT 21: Saxophonist Jacob Nevill (NC '08) in Grace Church Concert
- OCT 23-25: Dave Powers Returns for Spiritual Formation's Prayer Summit 2017
- OCT 23: Nyack College School of Music Performance at Steinway Hall
- OCT 26: Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- OCT 29: Trunk or Treat Comes to Nyack College Rockland
- NOV 8-9: Nyack Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- NOV 4: Dr. Anna Flores-Locke to Present at American Counseling Association Event
- WNYK's October Alumni Spotlight: Stephen and Lauri (Boyd) McKnight
- First 2017-2018 Issue of The Forum is Released
- The Amasi Trio in Concert
- Fall Faculty Reading Features Dr. Charles Beach
- FOUNDER'S DAY CHAPEL: C&MA Canada President David Hearn
- Ron Blue Institute Center Comes to Nyack College
- WNYK Re-airs Segments of "Perspectives on Personal Living"
- Nyack Warrior Athletics and Nyack Health Services Host "Pink Out" Events
- Praise Report from Puerto Rico
- Nyack Music Professor Damien Sneed on Stage at Carnegie Hall
- Dr. Lawrence Schiffman, Dead Sea Scrolls Scholar Visits Nyack New York City
- Fashion as WordArt Hosted by Nyack's Rockland Writing Center
- Cultivate Coffee Opens on Campus
- Who's Returning to the Hillside for Homecoming?
- Listening Party for Isaiah Velez
- Borderline Music Fest Features Nyack Alumnus "Skerrit Bwoy"
- Browse Blog Archive>>