What You Can Discover at Nyack
You never know what you’ll find when you’re studying at Nyack College. Sometimes you find yourself.
What causes the “aha” moment?
Often being immersed in the campus environment infused with Nyack’s core values (academically excellent, globally engaged, intentionally diverse, personally transforming and socially relevant) puts you in touch with the calling God intended even before your arrival on one of the campuses.
"I was terrified when I first started at Nyack,” Joanne Pelino explains. “I wanted to drop out every five minutes during my first semester, but I stayed, did my best, prayed a lot, and shockingly I ended up with three A's. So, I came back, and I just kept going.”
Previously in her role as an emergency room technician, Joanne made daily contact with a literal mission field of people with needs—and not all physical. She was convinced the social work degree would equip her for the career in compassionately impacting lives, especially those whose lives were broken by the affliction of substance abuse or homelessness.
After a conversation with the chair of Nyack's Pastoral Ministry Department about the heart tug towards ministry, her questions were answered and her major was changed the same day. However, the plan to become a full-time student was delayed when her pet dog fell victim to a health crisis creating a hefty medical bill. That required her to work at least part-time.
Joanne learned that student workers were being hired in the Office of Admissions on Nyack’s Rockland campus. Not long after, she was using her people skills at the Admissions front desk.
Now a junior who reached her goal of full-time studies this year, she confidently says, “I know this is where God wants me to be. I am amazed at what I have been able to do, but I give all of the praise to God because I would not be able to do it on my own. I feel so blessed to be a student here and to be working in Admissions. I have met so many amazing people who always encourage me, and I try to do the same for them. I have grown so much as a person, especially spiritually. Being a student here is definitely a life-changing experience."
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Udo Middelmann: Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- Nyack College Scholarships for Winners of Feb 4 MLK Oratory Contest
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- 13 of Nyack's Fall Athletes Recognized for Their Academic Excellence
- Nyack's School of Music Headlines Concert at David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center
- Global Service-Learning Director Updates on Nyack/ATS Teams in Israel
- Global Service-Learning Trip in Cuba with Drs. Ron and Wanda Walborn
- Winterim: ATS in Israel with Dr. Bryan Widbin
- Globetrotting--the Nyack Way
- Soo-il Lee Recognized by Korean American Behavioral Health Association
- In Memoriam [Ring out, wild bells] by Lord Alfred Tennyson
- What You Can Discover at Nyack
- Steve Gardner (NC '87; ATS '94) Making Snowflakes
- Marcus Jugenheimer: A Major in God's Army
- The Gift of Mentoring at Nyack for Sneha Chrispal
- The Nyack Story: More Than Numbers by Provost David Turk
- Dr. Gerard Becker Co-authors Award Winning Paper
- Staff Highlight: Mr. Dan Bailey, Director of Admissions, Rockland Campus
- A Love Gift at Home for the Holidays
- West Side Story Off-Broadway...A Successful Eight-Show Run
- Nyack Rockland School of Music Winter Concert
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Browse Blog Archive>>