What You Can Discover at Nyack
You never know what you’ll find when you’re studying at Nyack College. Sometimes you find yourself.
What causes the “aha” moment?
Often being immersed in the campus environment infused with Nyack’s core values (academically excellent, globally engaged, intentionally diverse, personally transforming and socially relevant) puts you in touch with the calling God intended even before your arrival on one of the campuses.
"I was terrified when I first started at Nyack,” Joanne Pelino explains. “I wanted to drop out every five minutes during my first semester, but I stayed, did my best, prayed a lot, and shockingly I ended up with three A's. So, I came back, and I just kept going.”
Previously in her role as an emergency room technician, Joanne made daily contact with a literal mission field of people with needs—and not all physical. She was convinced the social work degree would equip her for the career in compassionately impacting lives, especially those whose lives were broken by the affliction of substance abuse or homelessness.
After a conversation with the chair of Nyack's Pastoral Ministry Department about the heart tug towards ministry, her questions were answered and her major was changed the same day. However, the plan to become a full-time student was delayed when her pet dog fell victim to a health crisis creating a hefty medical bill. That required her to work at least part-time.
Joanne learned that student workers were being hired in the Office of Admissions on Nyack’s Rockland campus. Not long after, she was using her people skills at the Admissions front desk.
Now a junior who reached her goal of full-time studies this year, she confidently says, “I know this is where God wants me to be. I am amazed at what I have been able to do, but I give all of the praise to God because I would not be able to do it on my own. I feel so blessed to be a student here and to be working in Admissions. I have met so many amazing people who always encourage me, and I try to do the same for them. I have grown so much as a person, especially spiritually. Being a student here is definitely a life-changing experience."
- Andrew Iwaskow, Nyack Alumnus Named Executive VP at Tailored Brands, Inc.
- In a World of Darkness: Light...and Love
- 2017 Top Online Colleges for Student Economic Mobility
- Rev. G. Palmer Pardington, III (1939-2017) to Be Memorialized
- New Testament City of Bethsaida Unearthed?
- Remembering Dr. Rexford Boda, President Emeritus (1933-2017)
- Dr. Marie White Recognized by American Educational Research Association
- RELEASE: Nyack College Opts In to the NYS Enhanced Tuition Award
- El-Araj Excavation Update and Photo Gallery
- Summertime Prayer
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, "Mutual by Design" Conference Speaker
- Lauren Lebo, Lacrosse Head Coach
- SAVE THE DATES! September 29 & 30: Borderline Music Festival
- From Dr. Steve Notley in Israel: AJCO Dig Discovery!
- AGSC's Marriage & Family Therapy Ranked #4 Among Top 25 Counseling Programs in the Northeast
- Nyack Basketball Alumni Compete at IBall National Pro Combine
- School of Ed Professors Recognized by American Educational Research Association
- Celebrating the Life of ATS Alumna Aliceteen Taylor
- Memorial Service for Robin Luce
- Division of Student Success Dean Hosts STEM Event for Rockland Youth
- Remembering Manuel Ocana: A Strong, Gentle Leader
- Nyack College Partners With Long Island School on NYS Presidential Scholarship
- Nyack Profs Present at The Great Fish Count
- 2017 Sports Camp for Youth at Nyack College
- Nyack Alumni Sean Pica and Luis Diaz on SiriusXM Broadcast
- Browse Blog Archive>>