Staff Highlight: Mr. Dan Bailey, Director of Admissions, Rockland Campus
While in high school, it was my aspiration to play basketball at a large university. At the same time, I felt a calling to prepare for ministry. Jerry Slocum, the head coach at Nyack College, who today is the coach of Youngstown State University and one of the most successful coaches in NCAA history, began to recruit me pretty heavily. He came to watch me play twice and it soon dawned on me that at Nyack I could prepare for ministry while playing the sport I loved. I was not only able to enjoy a wonderful career as a basketball player for the Nyack College Fighting Parsons, but I was able to become a part of community that helped shape me into someone equipped for life and service while earning a degree in psychology. I eventually received a Master of Professional Studies in church management at ATS.
It's hard to isolate one experience as my favorite, but if I have to choose one particular season of time, I would say that being able to attend Nyack College with my sister, Heather, who is now a principal of a middle school in Redding, CA, and my brothers, Jon and Steve, who both were studying at ATS who now are respectively a pastor of a CMA church in Milford, CT and a college professor in California. We would often meet together on Sundays for some laughs. I never quite understood how special that was until years later.
My favorite food in the "caf" back in those days was grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. I remember eating 10 sandwiches in one sitting after a hard basketball practice. My metabolism was a bit faster back then. Off campus, I frequented Tarantella's Pizza. For better or worse, my visits have not been any less frequent as an employee of Nyack.
I recently read Christ, the Sum of All Spiritual Things by Watchman Nee, one of my favorite authors. I love how he sees and expounds on the sufficiency of Christ as revealed in the scriptures.
I have discovered in recent years a passion and an aptitude for writing and hope to publish one day soon.
I have been blessed to be a part of the Nyack College community as a student in the 80s, a coach in the 90s and in recent years as the Rockland Admissions Director. Making these last few years even more special is the joy of working where my son Daniel, a Bible theology major, attends school. God has been good to me, and Nyack College has been center stage among God's blessings in my life.
- MARCH 25: Dr. Guy Waters - Plenary Speaker for Evangelical Theological Society Conference
- Nyack's Spring Production: The Importance of Being Earnest
- Nyack Alumna, Kathia Benitez Is Director of sustainNU program at Northwestern University
- Alliance Graduate School of Counseling Reunion at NYC Campus
- Bach's 332nd Birthday Bash
- Nyack College Opera Workshop Presents Verdi's "La Traviata"
- The Gates Way to Medieval Times
- March 18: Hudson River Pianofest 2017 at Nyack College
- President Michael G. Scales to Begin New Term on CICU Board
- Udo Middelmann Returns to Nyack College for Colloquium on Civic Engagement
- Nyack School of Music Students on Harry Connick Jr. Show
- What Is Love? Nyack Rockland Artists Answer the Question
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Founder/CEO Evelyn Bautista-Miller Is CSGE Colloquium Speaker
- ATS Missions Retreat at Mount Crescent House
- Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- Fifth Anniversary Celebration & Silent Auction to Benefit Empower Program
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- Browse Blog Archive>>