Staff Highlight: Mr. Dan Bailey, Director of Admissions, Rockland Campus
While in high school, it was my aspiration to play basketball at a large university. At the same time, I felt a calling to prepare for ministry. Jerry Slocum, the head coach at Nyack College, who today is the coach of Youngstown State University and one of the most successful coaches in NCAA history, began to recruit me pretty heavily. He came to watch me play twice and it soon dawned on me that at Nyack I could prepare for ministry while playing the sport I loved. I was not only able to enjoy a wonderful career as a basketball player for the Nyack College Fighting Parsons, but I was able to become a part of community that helped shape me into someone equipped for life and service while earning a degree in psychology. I eventually received a Master of Professional Studies in church management at ATS.
It's hard to isolate one experience as my favorite, but if I have to choose one particular season of time, I would say that being able to attend Nyack College with my sister, Heather, who is now a principal of a middle school in Redding, CA, and my brothers, Jon and Steve, who both were studying at ATS who now are respectively a pastor of a CMA church in Milford, CT and a college professor in California. We would often meet together on Sundays for some laughs. I never quite understood how special that was until years later.
My favorite food in the "caf" back in those days was grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. I remember eating 10 sandwiches in one sitting after a hard basketball practice. My metabolism was a bit faster back then. Off campus, I frequented Tarantella's Pizza. For better or worse, my visits have not been any less frequent as an employee of Nyack.
I recently read Christ, the Sum of All Spiritual Things by Watchman Nee, one of my favorite authors. I love how he sees and expounds on the sufficiency of Christ as revealed in the scriptures.
I have discovered in recent years a passion and an aptitude for writing and hope to publish one day soon.
I have been blessed to be a part of the Nyack College community as a student in the 80s, a coach in the 90s and in recent years as the Rockland Admissions Director. Making these last few years even more special is the joy of working where my son Daniel, a Bible theology major, attends school. God has been good to me, and Nyack College has been center stage among God's blessings in my life.
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Feb 22: Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- TODAY: Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- FEB 24: Prof. Shelley Jameson and School of Music Alumnae in Concert
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- February 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Nyack's WNYK 88.7 FM Warrior Radio Airs Black History Month Features
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium Series
- Athletes Leadership Conference at Nyack College
- How a Nyack Sports Hero Was Celebrated
- First Hudson Link/Nyack College Graduation at Taconic Correctional Facility
- January 29-31: Deeper Life Series Speaker is Dr. Jonathan Shaw
- "Dan Bailey Day" at Nyack
- Browse Blog Archive>>