A Love Gift at Home for the Holidays
How do you wrap the gift of love?
Elaine Shickley Haaga and her siblings—Jan Shickley Morse, Charles David Shickley, Robert William Shickley and James Edward Shickley—did it selflessly.
Last year when their mother, Joanne Grubbs Shickley passed away, they discovered a bit of a family heirloom amongst her belongings. Who would own this precious piece of history next?
When Mrs. Haaga, an employee with the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU) came to the Nyack College Manhattan campus this fall for the 2016 CCCU diversity conference, she brought along a unique “donation” for the College. The gift was a patchwork quilt originally owned by her grandmother, Bertha Knight Grubbs, who was Superintendent of Women from 1938 to 1940 at Nyack College, then the Missionary Training Institute.
What makes this quilt so special? Bertha Knight Grubbs. Clearly she had a tremendous impact on the young women residing on the Hillside. Some 148 names, many with hometowns and a scripture citation, are meticulously handstitched on squares sewn together.
Mrs. Haaga explains, “Many of the women whose names are on the quilt went on to serve around the world. We are very happy to know that the quilt will be added to the historical record of Nyack College where you are still impacting the world for Jesus Christ!”
More than 75 years later—women of Simpson Hall (pictured above with Associate Dean of Students Wanda Velez, seated center) are still being compassionately cared for by the College’s extraordinary faculty and staff who have a heart for mentoring. The legacy of love and community represented in that tribute to Mrs. Grubbs lives on.
Much gratitude to the Shickley siblings for their generosity and for the gift that is “home” for holidays.
- Tune In For a Special WNKY Segment With The Center for Human Development and Family Services
- American Red Cross Blood Drive at Nyack College
- Nyack College and Local Entrepreneurs to Compete for Over $22,000 in Prizes
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Applications Being Accepted for Student Leaders
- Student Spotlight: Jill Kim, AGSC Marriage and Family Therapy Major
- MARCH 2: An Authors' Talk Hosted by Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Program
- MARCH 3: Nyack Rockland Associate Dean Wanda Velez, a Hope Gathering Speaker
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, C&MA Metro District Women's Retreat Speaker
- WNYK Pays Tribute to Black History Month
- Feb 18: School of Music's Noel Wippler, a Featured Artist in Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival
- FEB 18: Purpose Performs at Katonah Village Library
- Nyack Students Participate in NY Student Aid Alliance Event
- Recapturing the Art of Writing Love Letters
- Meet Dynamic NY Talent Trinity Rose on WNYK 88.7FM
- Accreditation Renewed for Nyack by the Association of Christian Schools International
- 2017 Alumni & Friends Phonathon Underway
- Yahoo! for Krysten Peek and Her 7-Continent Run
- Nyack Center Announces Winners of the Martin Luther King Oratory Contest
- Rev. Charles Galbreath--Nyack Chapel Speaker
- Deeper Life Series with Dr. Michael and Mrs. Lisa Plunket
- Udo Middelmann, Civic Engagement Speaker at Nyack Rockland and Nyack New York City
- ATS Alumni Among 2017 Pastors' Prayer Summit Leaders
- Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
- Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Community Remembers NYC Music Student Curtis Crum III
- Browse Blog Archive>>