Preparing for Christmas and Giving Thanks
Almost Thanksgiving…and it’s beginning to look at lot like Christmas.
At the Nyack College New York City campus, members of the Student Government Association (SGA) are in the gift-giving spirit will package items on Saturday, November 19 that they collected for the familiar looking red and green shoeboxes that brands the Samaritan’s Purse Operation Christmas Child outreach.
The nearly five decade-old non-denominational, evangelical organization (founded in 1970 by Bob Pierce of Youth for Christ who was succeeded by Franklin Graham in 1978) has stretched its arms around the globe. The organization shares God’s love by responding to natural disasters, famine, disease, as well as victims of war and poverty. Operation Christmas Child specifically brings cheer to youth from 2 to 14 years of age.
This year’s outreach brings back special memories to one of the SGA New York City packaging crew.
Aminadab Feliz (pictured) was once a beneficiary of the Samaritan’s Purse outreach to children. As a young girl in the Dominican Republic, she received a shoebox at her home church, Primera Iglesia de la Cristianizacion Nacional. She recalls the delight of being able to have items that were not possible to buy or even find in the Dominican Republic. A pink stuffed dog and the letter from the family who donated her box was everything to her.
Aminadab, a social work major, has vivid memories of waiting in a long line to receive her box. She recalls, “When my father brought us home, we sat on the living room floor to open the shoeboxes. I carefully opened my box because I wanted to also conserve and use it as storage for other things. I felt so loved and blessed by the family that made that box for me.”
Now it’s Aminadab’s turn. She's putting together her own shoeboxes to be a blessing to teenage girls.
- What Nyack Warriors Are Doing to Fight For Survivors of Recent Natural Disasters
- Nyack's Women's Soccer Team Fundraises for Pediatric Cancer Programs
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Request for Prayer: Hurricane Maria Approaches Puerto Rico
- EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
- Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
- SEPT: 18-20 Stephen Fowler, Deeper Life Series Speaker
- SEPT 18: Interview of Building 429's Jason Roy to Re-air on WNYK 88FM
- Fall 2017 Colloquium Series Hosted by Nyack's Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement
- Nyack College on U.S. News & World Report 2018 #BestColleges List
- SEPT 28: Biblical Archaeology Society and Nyack's Center for The Study of Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins NYC Event
- Free Coney Island Concert Nyack's Damien Sneed with Gospel Great, Shirley Caesar
- Nyack Rockland Dean's Personal 9/11 Reflection
- ATS Dean in Vietnam to Teach First Seminary Graduate Level Course
- UPDATE: ATS/Nyack Campus in Puerto Rico
- Diversity Matters: Race, Ethnicity, & The Future of Christian Higher Education
- Listening Party for ISAIAH VELEZ
- Jesus Week Appreciation Banquet, Sept. 7 @6:30 PM
- Youth Pastors Fellowship at Nyack College NYC
- Dan Bailey Named to the CACC Hall of Fame
- An NCLEX-RN Exam Victory for Class of 2017 Alumnae
- Nyack College - A Borderline Music Festival Sponsor
- Andrew Iwaskow, Nyack Alumnus Named Executive VP at Tailored Brands, Inc.
- Browse Blog Archive>>