John Perkins, Nyack Commencement Speaker
On Monday, May 14, Dr. John M. Perkins, founder and president of the John M. Perkins Foundation for Reconciliation and Development (JMPF) in Jackson, MS, will be the Commencement speaker for Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary. The 2:00 p.m. ceremony will be held at the Westchester County Center in White Plains, NY.
John M. Perkins is a sharecropper's son who grew up in Mississippi in dire poverty. He fled to California when he was 17 and vowed never to return after his older brother's murder at the hands of a town marshal. However, in 1960, after his conversion to Christianity, he returned to his boyhood home to share the gospel of Jesus Christ. His outspoken nature and leadership as a civil rights activist resulted in repeated beatings and imprisonment.
Christianity Today magazine, placed the landmark book, Let Justice Roll Down, written by Dr. Perkins at number 14 among the top 50 books that have shaped evangelicals. Perkins, known as a community development pioneer, is credited in the publication’s citation for presenting a “three-pronged solution to America’s systemic race problem: relocation, reconciliation, and redistribution.” The author of several other books including, With Justice For All, Beyond Charity, He’s My Brother, Resurrecting Hope, and A Time to Heal, he has contributed chapters to other compilations.
To learn more about the John M. Perkins Foundation for Reconciliation and Development, visit http://www.jmpf.org
- School of Ed Professors Recognized by American Educational Research Association
- June 25 Memorial Service for Robin Luce
- Division of Student Success Dean Hosts STEM Event for Rockland Youth
- Remembering Manuel Ocana: A Strong, Gentle Leader
- Nyack College Partners With Long Island School on NYS Presidential Scholarship
- Nyack Profs Present at The Great Fish Count
- 2017 Sports Camp for Youth at Nyack College
- Nyack Alumni Sean Pica and Luis Diaz on SiriusXM Broadcast
- Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
- Rockland Leaders Gather to Show Appreciation for Community Relations Director Earl Miller
- Remembering Robin Luce
- Nyack at its Best...Serving Others
- Nyack Artists Featured in East Village Multimedia Showcase
- Pastor Charles Galbreath Special Guest on Donna Baptiste Ministries Radio Broadcast
- School of Music Profs Conduct Three-Day Vocal/Opera Institute
- Nyack Alumnus Dr. Ty Buckman Named Provost at Mary Baldwin University
- 2017 Grads Are Nyack's Inaugural Class of Biology Majors
- Nyack Grads on "Good Morning, America" Segment
- Commitment to Mission Awards to Dean Glenn Koponen and Dean Wanda Velez
- The Legacy of Service at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary
- Soccer Team Online Fundraiser
- Dr. Ron Walborn at Christian Health Care Center on "Embracing Your Grief"
- NATIONAL NURSES WEEK: Cheryle Phenicie, R.N.
- Celebrating Nyack's School of Nursing Graduates
- Class of 2017....You Did It!
- Browse Blog Archive>>