John Perkins, Nyack Commencement Speaker
On Monday, May 14, Dr. John M. Perkins, founder and president of the John M. Perkins Foundation for Reconciliation and Development (JMPF) in Jackson, MS, will be the Commencement speaker for Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary. The 2:00 p.m. ceremony will be held at the Westchester County Center in White Plains, NY.
John M. Perkins is a sharecropper's son who grew up in Mississippi in dire poverty. He fled to California when he was 17 and vowed never to return after his older brother's murder at the hands of a town marshal. However, in 1960, after his conversion to Christianity, he returned to his boyhood home to share the gospel of Jesus Christ. His outspoken nature and leadership as a civil rights activist resulted in repeated beatings and imprisonment.
Christianity Today magazine, placed the landmark book, Let Justice Roll Down, written by Dr. Perkins at number 14 among the top 50 books that have shaped evangelicals. Perkins, known as a community development pioneer, is credited in the publication’s citation for presenting a “three-pronged solution to America’s systemic race problem: relocation, reconciliation, and redistribution.” The author of several other books including, With Justice For All, Beyond Charity, He’s My Brother, Resurrecting Hope, and A Time to Heal, he has contributed chapters to other compilations.
To learn more about the John M. Perkins Foundation for Reconciliation and Development, visit http://www.jmpf.org
- TODAY: "A Greener NYC" to Showcase a Nyack School of Music Performance at City Hall
- LAST DAY to Shop for Nyack Warrior Gear Online
- Nyack College Joins the Luis Palau Association CityServe Event in Manhattan
- RELEASE: Steinway Piano Dedication With Author/NY Times Reporter James Barron
- C&MA Church Planter Among Those Murdered in Guinea
- Alrick Brown's Award-winning Kinyarwanda Screening & Panel at Nyack NYC
- Dean Ron Walborn Interviewed on Unseminary.com
- RELEASE: October 20 Unearthing Magdala, An Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins Conference
- Report on AJCO-CSGE Panel: Wealth and Responsibility to the Poor
- 9/11 Thirteen Years Later
- Jewish and Christian Perspectives on Wealth and Responsibility to the Poor
- HEOP Continues at Nyack Rockland and Launches at Nyack NYC
- India Trip for Nyack School of Nursing Combines Study With Outreach
- A Call to Prayer September 1-7 by C&MA President John Stumbo
- True Confessions or A Half Century-Old Mystery to be Unveiled at Homecoming 2014!
- Browse Blog Archive>>