John Perkins, Nyack Commencement Speaker
On Monday, May 14, Dr. John M. Perkins, founder and president of the John M. Perkins Foundation for Reconciliation and Development (JMPF) in Jackson, MS, will be the Commencement speaker for Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary. The 2:00 p.m. ceremony will be held at the Westchester County Center in White Plains, NY.
John M. Perkins is a sharecropper's son who grew up in Mississippi in dire poverty. He fled to California when he was 17 and vowed never to return after his older brother's murder at the hands of a town marshal. However, in 1960, after his conversion to Christianity, he returned to his boyhood home to share the gospel of Jesus Christ. His outspoken nature and leadership as a civil rights activist resulted in repeated beatings and imprisonment.
Christianity Today magazine, placed the landmark book, Let Justice Roll Down, written by Dr. Perkins at number 14 among the top 50 books that have shaped evangelicals. Perkins, known as a community development pioneer, is credited in the publication’s citation for presenting a “three-pronged solution to America’s systemic race problem: relocation, reconciliation, and redistribution.” The author of several other books including, With Justice For All, Beyond Charity, He’s My Brother, Resurrecting Hope, and A Time to Heal, he has contributed chapters to other compilations.
To learn more about the John M. Perkins Foundation for Reconciliation and Development, visit http://www.jmpf.org
- Negocios Now "40 under 40" List Showcases Nyack Alumna Kathia Benitez
- March 15-17: Latino Pastoral Action Center Hosts 2018 Legacy Conference
- Music Faculty and Students Perform With Opera Star in Kansas City, MO
- Schedule Your Nyack College Visit
- MARCH 15: Writing Center's March Event: The Book of Elyon with Emmanuel Jean-Pierre
- MARCH 21: Bach's 333rd Birthday Bash!
- Metro District Women's Spring Retreat Registration In Progress
- Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- Dr. Anita Underwood, a Panelist on Christian Radio Network
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: DeLissa Dixon
- Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Browse Blog Archive>>