John Perkins, Nyack Commencement Speaker
On Monday, May 14, Dr. John M. Perkins, founder and president of the John M. Perkins Foundation for Reconciliation and Development (JMPF) in Jackson, MS, will be the Commencement speaker for Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary. The 2:00 p.m. ceremony will be held at the Westchester County Center in White Plains, NY.
John M. Perkins is a sharecropper's son who grew up in Mississippi in dire poverty. He fled to California when he was 17 and vowed never to return after his older brother's murder at the hands of a town marshal. However, in 1960, after his conversion to Christianity, he returned to his boyhood home to share the gospel of Jesus Christ. His outspoken nature and leadership as a civil rights activist resulted in repeated beatings and imprisonment.
Christianity Today magazine, placed the landmark book, Let Justice Roll Down, written by Dr. Perkins at number 14 among the top 50 books that have shaped evangelicals. Perkins, known as a community development pioneer, is credited in the publication’s citation for presenting a “three-pronged solution to America’s systemic race problem: relocation, reconciliation, and redistribution.” The author of several other books including, With Justice For All, Beyond Charity, He’s My Brother, Resurrecting Hope, and A Time to Heal, he has contributed chapters to other compilations.
To learn more about the John M. Perkins Foundation for Reconciliation and Development, visit http://www.jmpf.org
- Nyack College Golf Class Return to Historic Saint Andrew's
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Nyack Reps in the Nation's Capital for Second Chance Pell Grant Meetings
- Nyack College Among Top 50 Most Diverse U.S. Campuses
- Director of Ensemble Is a Nominee for Gospel Music Association Award
- Tunesha Crispell, Nyack NYC School of Music Alumna, Gone Too Soon
- Epoch Times Features Composer and Nyack Music Prof William Vollinger
- Associate Dean Luis Carlo Receives Kudos for Service to ATS
- JULY 10 & 14: Anthony Vaval ('16) Grad Featured on Dennis Dillon Show
- Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
- Days Away from Nyack's Historic Archaeological Dig
- Carlos Cuestas ('09), A Classical Guitar Act
- Rev. Dave Nguyen and the Vietnamese Alliance Church Celebrate an Anniversary
- Honoring the Life of Dr. Thomas P. Bailey, Sr.
- Nyack College Among 67 Schools Participating in the Second Chance Program
- iSucceed at Nyack Is a School of Music Success
- Lauren Lebo Named 2016 Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association’s Division II Scholar-Athlete of the Year!
- Dr. Gabriel Salguero, Former Alliance Theological Seminary Professor Comforts Floridians
- Biola U Students Welcomed to Nyack's Battery Park/Wall Street Prayer Meeting
- Music Alumni Perform With Shining Lights Prison Ministry Tour
- Live at Carnegie Hall...Nyack College NYC Chorale!
- Nyack -- A Founding Partner of the Fair Chance Higher Education Pledge
- Browse Blog Archive>>