Coming to Nyack: A Science & Technology Entry Program (STEP) for Youth
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) notified Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary President, Dr. Michael G. Scales that Nyack College has been awarded a $207,000 grant that will fund a Science and Technology Entry Program (STEP) to be conducted at the College through the year 2020. STEP programs target middle and high school whose science and technology skills will be enhanced by the program held Saturdays throughout the academic year.
The objective of STEP programs is “to increase the number of historically underrepresented and economically disadvantaged students prepared to enter college, and improve their participation rate in mathematics, science, technology, health related fields and the licensed professions.” Visit http://www.highered.nysed.gov/kiap/step for more information.
Associate Dean of Nyack’s Division of Student Success Dr. Gwen Parker-Ames (pictured) has worked feverishly behind the scenes to pursue this grant that will invite some 105 students from Nyack Middle School, Nyack High School and Spring Valley High School to participate in the program. In addition to Nyack faculty who will be selected to hold classes, Nyack College students will serve as tutors.
Congratulations to Dr. Parker-Ames for her diligent and persistent pursuit of the grant!
- Empower Retreat 2018 Has Record-breaking Attendance
- Nyack Scholarship and Global Engagement Director Heads Peace and Hope International
- School of Music Art Series Features Pianist Hui-Mei Lin
- Spiritual Life at Nyack College: Chapel Services
- Nyack/ATS Alumni Celebrate MLK Day in Israel
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Civil Rights Leader, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- Browse Blog Archive>>