Every Day A Gift Concert, Music Prof and Transplant Recipient, Sungrai Sohn
The Nyack College School of Music in Rockland County will host, “Every Day a Gift: An Evening with Sungrai Sohn,” on Friday, October 7 at 7:30 p.m. in Nyack’s Pardington Hall, 45 South Boulevard in Nyack, NY. Prof. Sohn is a concert violinist and professor of music, known for his international performances in Europe, Asia, Africa, and Canada. Admission to the event is free.
Sungrai has appeared as soloist and chamber musician with numerous orchestras and ensembles including the New York Pro Arte Chamber Orchestra; Laurentian String Quartet; and the Nyack College Trio-in- Residence, the Amasi Trio. His acclaimed performances have been featured at Carnegie Hall, the Kennedy Center and Lincoln Center.
The evening’s program will include dynamic works for violin including, "Violin Sonata No. 5 in F Major, Op. 24," Beethoven and "Zigeunerweisen" Op. 20, Saraste. A screening of "To Have and to Give," a film produced and directed by David Esposito, Sungrai's brother-in-law and his living transplant donor will be shown. The piece documents Sungrai’s journey through the partial organ transplant experience in 2001. The film also highlights his life as a musician, and as an individual able to maintain peace, and optimism, despite years of illness and uncertainty. Sungrai received a second whole liver transplant in 2014. A question and answer session will follow the film.
Sungrai is a recipient of the Maryland Women's Club Award, the Artist International Award, Jack Kahn Award and Honored Diplomat at the Algiers Fourth International Music Festival. He is a grand prize winner of the Korean National competitions in violin solo and in chamber music and a winner of “Friends and Enemies” of the New Music competition.
Learn more about Sungrai Sohn here. For more information about the concert, phone the School of Music Office at 845.675.4687.
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Request for Prayer: Hurricane Maria Approaches Puerto Rico
- EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
- Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
- SEPT: 18-20 Stephen Fowler, Deeper Life Series Speaker
- SEPT 18: Interview of Building 429's Jason Roy to Re-air on WNYK 88FM
- Fall 2017 Colloquium Series Hosted by Nyack's Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement
- Nyack College on U.S. News & World Report 2018 #BestColleges List
- SEPT 28: Biblical Archaeology Society and Nyack's Center for The Study of Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins NYC Event
- Free Coney Island Concert Nyack's Damien Sneed with Gospel Great, Shirley Caesar
- Nyack Rockland Dean's Personal 9/11 Reflection
- ATS Dean in Vietnam to Teach First Seminary Graduate Level Course
- UPDATE: ATS/Nyack Campus in Puerto Rico
- Diversity Matters: Race, Ethnicity, & The Future of Christian Higher Education
- Listening Party for ISAIAH VELEZ
- Jesus Week Appreciation Banquet, Sept. 7 @6:30 PM
- Youth Pastors Fellowship at Nyack College NYC
- Dan Bailey Named to the CACC Hall of Fame
- An NCLEX-RN Exam Victory for Class of 2017 Alumnae
- Nyack College - A Borderline Music Festival Sponsor
- Andrew Iwaskow, Nyack Alumnus Named Executive VP at Tailored Brands, Inc.
- In a World of Darkness: Light...and Love
- 2017 Top Online Colleges for Student Economic Mobility
- Browse Blog Archive>>