Days Away from Nyack's Historic Archaeological Dig
Dr. R. Steven Notley, Distinguished Professor of New Testament and Christian Origins and Director of Graduate Programs in Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins based at the Nyack College Manhattan campus, will partner with scholars from The Center for Holy Land Studies in Springfield, MO and head to Israel July 8-25 with a group of students and faculty for Nyack’s first archaeological dig!
The event which holds immeasurable cultural, historical, and religious value will include support in the amount of $20,000—which represents a $10,000 challenge grant from Biblical Archeology Review matched by $10,000 in gifts from individual donors coordinated by Dr. Notley and associate director Constance Diggs through the Center for the Study of Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins. These funds cover Nyack College's commitment to participate in the dig with Kinneret College and the Institute for Galilean Archeology. The El-Araj Excavation Project will be directed by Mordechai Aviam, professor of archaeology at the Kinneret College on the Sea of Galilee. Dr. Notley’s role will focus on topography and mapping.
“Nyack College students will participate in a field school that will instruct them on how modern archaeological research is performed. In addition, they will travel on field trips to other nearby archaeological sites guided by leading Israeli archaeologists,” says Dr. Notley. “The expectation is that this will be the first year of a multi-year excavation.” He explains that since the middle of the 19th century there has been an attempt to locate missing places mentioned in the Bible, but which disappeared without a trace. One of those is the first-century Jewish fishing village of Bethsaida on the northeast shores of the Sea of Galilee that is also described as a location for Jesus’ ministry (Mark 8:22; Luke 9:10).
Dr. Notley points out that in 1989 excavations began at a site called et-Tell 1½ miles from the lakeshore, which the excavator claimed was the missing New Testament city. He says, “Today it is routinely described as Bethsaida on maps of Israel. However, there are a number of problems with this claim and it has not gone unquestioned.” In 2007, Notley wrote a challenge to this claim in his article “Et-Tell is Not Bethsaida” for the journal, Near Eastern Archeology. His and others' questions culminated in May 2014 when a shovel-survey was carried out at the alternate site of el-Araj which lies closer to the lake. The results of the survey indicated the profile for a city that matched what would be expected for the history of Bethsaida.
Learn more about Nyack's AJCO program here!
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Request for Prayer: Hurricane Maria Approaches Puerto Rico
- EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
- Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
- SEPT: 18-20 Stephen Fowler, Deeper Life Series Speaker
- SEPT 18: Interview of Building 429's Jason Roy to Re-air on WNYK 88FM
- Fall 2017 Colloquium Series Hosted by Nyack's Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement
- Nyack College on U.S. News & World Report 2018 #BestColleges List
- SEPT 28: Biblical Archaeology Society and Nyack's Center for The Study of Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins NYC Event
- Free Coney Island Concert Nyack's Damien Sneed with Gospel Great, Shirley Caesar
- Nyack Rockland Dean's Personal 9/11 Reflection
- ATS Dean in Vietnam to Teach First Seminary Graduate Level Course
- UPDATE: ATS/Nyack Campus in Puerto Rico
- Diversity Matters: Race, Ethnicity, & The Future of Christian Higher Education
- Listening Party for ISAIAH VELEZ
- Jesus Week Appreciation Banquet, Sept. 7 @6:30 PM
- Youth Pastors Fellowship at Nyack College NYC
- Dan Bailey Named to the CACC Hall of Fame
- An NCLEX-RN Exam Victory for Class of 2017 Alumnae
- Nyack College - A Borderline Music Festival Sponsor
- Andrew Iwaskow, Nyack Alumnus Named Executive VP at Tailored Brands, Inc.
- In a World of Darkness: Light...and Love
- 2017 Top Online Colleges for Student Economic Mobility
- Browse Blog Archive>>