Nyack -- A Founding Partner of the Fair Chance Higher Education Pledge
Nyack College was one of 15 public and private higher education institutions who were represented at a meeting with U.S. Education Secretary John King and Domestic Policy Council Director Cecilia Muñoz at the White House for a Criminal Justice Reform Roundtable.
Nyack College was invited to be a founding partner in the launch of the Fair Chance Higher Education Pledge. This initiative, established by the Obama administration, is a commitment to criminal justice system reform in the United States, which includes “removing unnecessary barriers to college access” for previously incarcerated individuals. To date, 25 institutions have taken the pledge including Columbia University, St. John’s University, New York University, North Park University, Rutgers University, University of Pittsburgh, and University of Washington, and others nationwide.
Nyack’s President Michael G. Scales and Provost David F. Turk attended the Reform Roundtable (pictured above l-r: Provost Turk, Sean Pica, and President Scales). Pica, a 2001 Nyack alumnus, is executive director of Hudson Link for Higher Education in Prison and also serves on Governor Andrew Cuomo’s New York State Council on Community Re-Entry and Reintegration. The Council addresses issues regarding successful re-entry following release from incarceration, including housing, employment, healthcare, education, behavior change, and Veterans services. Click here to read more about Pica's work.
Provost David F. Turk, who is also Vice President for Academic Affairs, commented “Nyack College supports the Fair Chance Higher Education Pledge. Nyack’s core values focus on diversity, transformation, and social relevance. As such, we believe that higher education is a solution to racial, economic and educational disparity and all people should be afforded educational access.” He adds, “Education is one of the most effective deterrents to recidivism; it is helps to provide access to employment opportunities and foster economic stability, break the cycle of crime and poverty, and positively impact children and families by creating much-needed role models. We have witnessed the transformative power of education in the lives of formerly incarcerated alumni who have gone on to help positively affect the fabric of this country. As such, we are proud to participate in this Pledge to provide equal opportunities for higher education and thereby fulfill a mandate of the gospel of Jesus.”
Read more about Nyack's involvement here.
- What Nyack Warriors Are Doing to Fight For Survivors of Recent Natural Disasters
- Nyack's Women's Soccer Team Fundraises for Pediatric Cancer Programs
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Request for Prayer: Hurricane Maria Approaches Puerto Rico
- EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
- Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
- SEPT: 18-20 Stephen Fowler, Deeper Life Series Speaker
- SEPT 18: Interview of Building 429's Jason Roy to Re-air on WNYK 88FM
- Fall 2017 Colloquium Series Hosted by Nyack's Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement
- Nyack College on U.S. News & World Report 2018 #BestColleges List
- SEPT 28: Biblical Archaeology Society and Nyack's Center for The Study of Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins NYC Event
- Free Coney Island Concert Nyack's Damien Sneed with Gospel Great, Shirley Caesar
- Nyack Rockland Dean's Personal 9/11 Reflection
- ATS Dean in Vietnam to Teach First Seminary Graduate Level Course
- UPDATE: ATS/Nyack Campus in Puerto Rico
- Diversity Matters: Race, Ethnicity, & The Future of Christian Higher Education
- Listening Party for ISAIAH VELEZ
- Jesus Week Appreciation Banquet, Sept. 7 @6:30 PM
- Youth Pastors Fellowship at Nyack College NYC
- Dan Bailey Named to the CACC Hall of Fame
- An NCLEX-RN Exam Victory for Class of 2017 Alumnae
- Nyack College - A Borderline Music Festival Sponsor
- Andrew Iwaskow, Nyack Alumnus Named Executive VP at Tailored Brands, Inc.
- Browse Blog Archive>>