Clarence "Beef" Castel 1928-2007
Clarence R. Castel: April 12, 1928-February 28, 2007
(Class of 1956 reunion picture: top row, second from right)
A college degree can be the key that opens doors for many of us. But for some it is not so much the letters that follow a person’s name that is significant. It’s more about the reflection of their character that people knew from the sunrise until the sunset of their lives.
Nyack alumnus, Clarence “Beef” Castel, Sr. passed away on February 28 in Fort Myers, FL. His is a life that will long be remembered by Rockland County as well as the Nyack college community. He was more than a business leader—employed by the former Nyack Bank and Trust Company, where he got his start; the career track change to the title insurance business; or the Nyack Hospital Foundation where he served first as Vice President of Corporate Development and later as Executive Director until his retirement in 2003.
Beef Castel was the man who touched countless lives as a military chaplain, a Nyack Ambulance Corps volunteer, a Rotary member, and the chairman of the interfaith division of Israel Bonds in Rockland County.
At his 50th class reunion last fall, his laughter chimed in with classmates who fondly recalled their peers and professors from their years of study on the Hillside. Listening to them share memories—as vivid as if they happened yesterday—proved that the Nyack College experience is more than an opportunity to earn a degree. God-ordained connections take place, bonding people who become longtime friends.
Predeceased by his wife, Alice Castel, he is survived by two sons, Ray Castel of New City, NY and Dr. Joseph Castel of Pennsylvania and his beloved grandson, Tre Castel of New City, NY. Other family members include sisters: Reba, Leona, Lillian and Mildred and brothers: John and Robert and many nieces and nephews.
Family and friends remembered Clarence “Beef” Castel, Sr. at a funeral service on Monday, March 5 at the Clarkstown Reformed Church in West Nyack, NY.
- What Nyack Warriors Are Doing to Fight For Survivors of Recent Natural Disasters
- Nyack's Women's Soccer Team Fundraises for Pediatric Cancer Programs
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Request for Prayer: Hurricane Maria Approaches Puerto Rico
- EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
- Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
- SEPT: 18-20 Stephen Fowler, Deeper Life Series Speaker
- SEPT 18: Interview of Building 429's Jason Roy to Re-air on WNYK 88FM
- Fall 2017 Colloquium Series Hosted by Nyack's Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement
- Nyack College on U.S. News & World Report 2018 #BestColleges List
- SEPT 28: Biblical Archaeology Society and Nyack's Center for The Study of Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins NYC Event
- Free Coney Island Concert Nyack's Damien Sneed with Gospel Great, Shirley Caesar
- Nyack Rockland Dean's Personal 9/11 Reflection
- ATS Dean in Vietnam to Teach First Seminary Graduate Level Course
- UPDATE: ATS/Nyack Campus in Puerto Rico
- Diversity Matters: Race, Ethnicity, & The Future of Christian Higher Education
- Listening Party for ISAIAH VELEZ
- Jesus Week Appreciation Banquet, Sept. 7 @6:30 PM
- Youth Pastors Fellowship at Nyack College NYC
- Dan Bailey Named to the CACC Hall of Fame
- An NCLEX-RN Exam Victory for Class of 2017 Alumnae
- Nyack College - A Borderline Music Festival Sponsor
- Andrew Iwaskow, Nyack Alumnus Named Executive VP at Tailored Brands, Inc.
- Browse Blog Archive>>