Clarence "Beef" Castel 1928-2007
Clarence R. Castel: April 12, 1928-February 28, 2007
(Class of 1956 reunion picture: top row, second from right)
A college degree can be the key that opens doors for many of us. But for some it is not so much the letters that follow a person’s name that is significant. It’s more about the reflection of their character that people knew from the sunrise until the sunset of their lives.
Nyack alumnus, Clarence “Beef” Castel, Sr. passed away on February 28 in Fort Myers, FL. His is a life that will long be remembered by Rockland County as well as the Nyack college community. He was more than a business leader—employed by the former Nyack Bank and Trust Company, where he got his start; the career track change to the title insurance business; or the Nyack Hospital Foundation where he served first as Vice President of Corporate Development and later as Executive Director until his retirement in 2003.
Beef Castel was the man who touched countless lives as a military chaplain, a Nyack Ambulance Corps volunteer, a Rotary member, and the chairman of the interfaith division of Israel Bonds in Rockland County.
At his 50th class reunion last fall, his laughter chimed in with classmates who fondly recalled their peers and professors from their years of study on the Hillside. Listening to them share memories—as vivid as if they happened yesterday—proved that the Nyack College experience is more than an opportunity to earn a degree. God-ordained connections take place, bonding people who become longtime friends.
Predeceased by his wife, Alice Castel, he is survived by two sons, Ray Castel of New City, NY and Dr. Joseph Castel of Pennsylvania and his beloved grandson, Tre Castel of New City, NY. Other family members include sisters: Reba, Leona, Lillian and Mildred and brothers: John and Robert and many nieces and nephews.
Family and friends remembered Clarence “Beef” Castel, Sr. at a funeral service on Monday, March 5 at the Clarkstown Reformed Church in West Nyack, NY.
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico...Firm and Persevering!
- Nyack Warriors Fight Strong for Breast Cancer Awareness
- 2017 Seed to Harvest Seminar Hosted by Donna Baptiste Ministries
- '08 ATS Alumnus and Young Adults Pastor Adds Executive Director Role to Ministry
- Faculty Recital Features Dr. Tammy Lum
- Nyack Dean to Azusa Pacific Director: Coast to Coast Mentoring
- Nyack Warriors Basketball Podcast
- A Nyack College Cast Revives Lin-Manuel Miranda's "In the Heights"
- Puerto Rico Seminary Community Outreach to Families
- NOV 15: WMCA Radio 570AM Networking Breakfast at Nyack New York City Campus
- Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Nyack School of Music Students Perform at Market Street Mission
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Hosts Colloquium Series
- Prayer Summit 2017 With Dave Powers
- Boxer Donut & Expresso Bar Owned by 2012 Nyack Alumnus, Eric Brown
- Browse Blog Archive>>