MAY 2016: Global Service-Learning Course in Mexico
For seven years, Nyack College has offered global service-learning trips to Mexico that have not only contributed to the well-being of many Mexican people but have also helped transform Nyack students into global-minded Christian citizens.
A May 2016 business course (BUS 382), Missions Outreach from a Business Perspective taught by Dr. James Muckell and Dr. Gordon Boronow will be sponsored by the School of Business and Leadership. The group will leave the week of May 9.
Here's what teams of Nyack students and faculty have accomplished in Mexico over the years:
- Built a children’s home/orphanage that is soon to become operational.
- Established a fledgling micro-finance program that is helping several pastors/businessmen serve the Lord.
- Helped a Christian bookstore become automated and better equipped to serve the needs of the community.
- Met with Mexican business owners on every trip. This has been encouraging to both the businessmen/women and to the students.
These new opportunities await the Nyack team:
- The people of the Yucatan Peninsula need to be reached with the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- A church needs to be built to house a growing congregation in a village of 12,000 people deep in the Yucatan jungle.
- Children need to hear the gospel. Many times, the parents respond positively to the message because their children have been moved to respond.
The cost of the entire trip is largely dependent on the airfare. Past trips have been between $1,300 and $1,500. Through the generosity of Nyack's own Assistant Professor of Business, Dr. Gordon Boronow, a $500 stipend will be provided by his Titus Foundation for each student who participates.
For more information on GS-L trips, contact the Global Service-Learning Office at (845)-675-4528 or (845)675-4525 or by email at Scott.Reitz@nyack.edu or gslassist@nyackedu.
Content for this post was provided by Nyack's Associate Professor of Accounting James Muckell.
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico...Firm and Persevering!
- Nyack Warriors Fight Strong for Breast Cancer Awareness
- 2017 Seed to Harvest Seminar Hosted by Donna Baptiste Ministries
- '08 ATS Alumnus and Young Adults Pastor Adds Executive Director Role to Ministry
- Faculty Recital Features Dr. Tammy Lum
- Nyack Dean to Azusa Pacific Director: Coast to Coast Mentoring
- Nyack Warriors Basketball Podcast
- A Nyack College Cast Revives Lin-Manuel Miranda's "In the Heights"
- Puerto Rico Seminary Community Outreach to Families
- NOV 15: WMCA Radio 570AM Networking Breakfast at Nyack New York City Campus
- Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Nyack School of Music Students Perform at Market Street Mission
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Hosts Colloquium Series
- Prayer Summit 2017 With Dave Powers
- Browse Blog Archive>>