Nyack Alumnus Pens Book on First C&MA Mission Field
A vital chapter of Nyack College history has been penned by 1964 Nyack alumnus David P. Jones. So Being Sent…They Went: A History of the CMA Mission in Cabina 1885-1957 is a 259-page account of the first missionary team sent abroad in 1884 by Dr. A.B. Simpson. Led by John Condit, four other "Congo Band" members included Frank Gerrish, Jeans Jensen, William Pearson and William Quayle. All five were in the first graduating class of Dr. Simpson’s Missionary Training Institute established in Manhattan, the precursor of today’s Nyack College.
Nyack/ATS President Michael Scales applauds Jones for his tireless dedication to writing this untold story and his “stewardship of this project that honors God, Dr. A.B. Simpson, and of course, the first five courageous C&MA missionaries who selflessly served in the Congo.” Alliance historian and theologian, Dr. Paul King, calls the book, “a candid illuminating analysis.” President of the Evangelical Community of the Alliance in the Congo, Rev. Mabiala Justin-Robert Kenzo says, “It is a fascinating narrative—from an excellent storyteller—of how the history of the Congo Church is intertwined with the history of the Cabinda Church.”
Jones shares, “I am working on the revision and translation of the book to use in Cabinda this coming June when I will teach a history of the Alliance church there.”
Former Nyack College Missionaries in Residence (1977-78), David Jones and his wife, Judy, also a Nyack alumna, served in Brazil with the C&MA for more than three decades in evangelism, discipleship, church planting and leadership training. Dave directs Portuguese World Outreach and leads College of Prayer modules in Brazil, Portugal, and Cabinda, Angola.
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico...Firm and Persevering!
- Nyack Warriors Fight Strong for Breast Cancer Awareness
- 2017 Seed to Harvest Seminar Hosted by Donna Baptiste Ministries
- '08 ATS Alumnus and Young Adults Pastor Adds Executive Director Role to Ministry
- Faculty Recital Features Dr. Tammy Lum
- Nyack Dean to Azusa Pacific Director: Coast to Coast Mentoring
- Nyack Warriors Basketball Podcast
- A Nyack College Cast Revives Lin-Manuel Miranda's "In the Heights"
- Puerto Rico Seminary Community Outreach to Families
- NOV 15: WMCA Radio 570AM Networking Breakfast at Nyack New York City Campus
- Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Nyack School of Music Students Perform at Market Street Mission
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Hosts Colloquium Series
- Prayer Summit 2017 With Dave Powers
- Boxer Donut & Expresso Bar Owned by 2012 Nyack Alumnus, Eric Brown
- Browse Blog Archive>>