Nyack's Social Justice Celebration--An Important Change
FROM THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS) established the Social Justice Celebration more than ten years ago as a platform for celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s dream of the “beloved community.” During the celebration we have honored individuals and organizations who serve the community and, in particular the underserved, with distinction.
The recipients of the awards are known to be people who treat every individual with ultimate dignity and respect. The awards are given without regard for race, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation or political persuasion.
Over the years, the response in the village of Nyack to the College’s tradition has been so enthusiastic that the event had to be moved to a larger off-site venue to accommodate all who chose to celebrate with us. The growth in the number of attendees has been a clear indication that the friends of Nyack/ATS—clergy, educators, elected officials, and Rockland residents—have come to know the College and the goodwill it extends to the community at large.
For the first time in the history of this celebration, it has come to our attention that there are a few individuals, who intended to use the Social Justice gathering for another reason. Nyack College’s goal is to celebrate Dr. King and our honorees, who like him, are worthy of recognition. Because of the possibility of distraction from the purpose of our event, we have chosen to cancel the 2016 Social Justice Celebration.
At Nyack College, our ultimate desire is to build bridges, not walls. Over the next year, we will reach out, in an appropriate time and setting, to dialogue with those individuals. Our hope is to resume the tradition of paying tribute to those whose life work is to nurture unity and love.
Michael G. Scales, Ed.D.
- Request for Prayer: Hurricane Maria Approaches Puerto Rico
- EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
- Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- SEPT: 18-20 Stephen Fowler, Deeper Life Series Speaker
- SEPT 18: Interview of Building 429's Jason Roy to Re-air on WNYK 88FM
- Fall 2017 Colloquium Series Hosted by Nyack's Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement
- Nyack College on U.S. News & World Report 2018 #BestColleges List
- SEPT 28: Biblical Archaeology Society and Nyack's Center for The Study of Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins NYC Event
- Free Coney Island Concert Nyack's Damien Sneed with Gospel Great, Shirley Caesar
- Nyack Rockland Dean's Personal 9/11 Reflection
- ATS Dean in Vietnam to Teach First Seminary Graduate Level Course
- UPDATE: ATS/Nyack Campus in Puerto Rico
- Diversity Matters: Race, Ethnicity, & The Future of Christian Higher Education
- Listening Party for ISAIAH VELEZ
- Jesus Week Appreciation Banquet, Sept. 7 @6:30 PM
- Youth Pastors Fellowship at Nyack College NYC
- Dan Bailey Named to the CACC Hall of Fame
- An NCLEX-RN Exam Victory for Class of 2017 Alumnae
- Nyack College - A Borderline Music Festival Sponsor
- Andrew Iwaskow, Nyack Alumnus Named Executive VP at Tailored Brands, Inc.
- In a World of Darkness: Light...and Love
- 2017 Top Online Colleges for Student Economic Mobility
- Rev. G. Palmer Pardington, III (1939-2017) to Be Memorialized
- New Testament City of Bethsaida Unearthed?
- Browse Blog Archive>>