Nyack's Social Justice Celebration--An Important Change
FROM THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS) established the Social Justice Celebration more than ten years ago as a platform for celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s dream of the “beloved community.” During the celebration we have honored individuals and organizations who serve the community and, in particular the underserved, with distinction.
The recipients of the awards are known to be people who treat every individual with ultimate dignity and respect. The awards are given without regard for race, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation or political persuasion.
Over the years, the response in the village of Nyack to the College’s tradition has been so enthusiastic that the event had to be moved to a larger off-site venue to accommodate all who chose to celebrate with us. The growth in the number of attendees has been a clear indication that the friends of Nyack/ATS—clergy, educators, elected officials, and Rockland residents—have come to know the College and the goodwill it extends to the community at large.
For the first time in the history of this celebration, it has come to our attention that there are a few individuals, who intended to use the Social Justice gathering for another reason. Nyack College’s goal is to celebrate Dr. King and our honorees, who like him, are worthy of recognition. Because of the possibility of distraction from the purpose of our event, we have chosen to cancel the 2016 Social Justice Celebration.
At Nyack College, our ultimate desire is to build bridges, not walls. Over the next year, we will reach out, in an appropriate time and setting, to dialogue with those individuals. Our hope is to resume the tradition of paying tribute to those whose life work is to nurture unity and love.
Michael G. Scales, Ed.D.
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico...Firm and Persevering!
- Nyack Warriors Fight Strong for Breast Cancer Awareness
- 2017 Seed to Harvest Seminar Hosted by Donna Baptiste Ministries
- '08 ATS Alumnus and Young Adults Pastor Adds Executive Director Role to Ministry
- Faculty Recital Features Dr. Tammy Lum
- Nyack Dean to Azusa Pacific Director: Coast to Coast Mentoring
- Nyack Warriors Basketball Podcast
- A Nyack College Cast Revives Lin-Manuel Miranda's "In the Heights"
- Puerto Rico Seminary Community Outreach to Families
- NOV 15: WMCA Radio 570AM Networking Breakfast at Nyack New York City Campus
- Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Nyack School of Music Students Perform at Market Street Mission
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Hosts Colloquium Series
- Prayer Summit 2017 With Dave Powers
- Browse Blog Archive>>