A Showcase of Academic Excellence: Nyack's Scholars Symposium
Nyack College's Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement (CSGE) will cohost the Seventh Annual Nyack Scholars Symposium with the Center for Transformative Work (CTW) on Wednesday, November 4 at the Nyack College New York City campus, 2 Washington Street in Lower Manhattan (18th floor, Room 2241) and on Thursday, November 5 Nyack’s Rockland County campus, 1 South Blvd. in Nyack.
This year’s theme is In Search of the Meaning of Work: Contributions from the Academic Disciplines.
Kurt Ver Beek (pictured above) co-founder of the Association for a More Just Society (AJS), and Charles Eapen, president of the C12 Group are this year’s keynote speakers. Both will speak at the NYC campus on November 4 at 6:00 p.m. On the Rockland County campus, Mr. Eapen will present at 9:30 a.m. in Bowman Gymnasium; Dr. Ver Beek will present at 2:45 p.m. in Pardington Hall.
Also the director of Calvin College’s Semester in Honduras program, Kurt Ver Beek has been on the frontlines of the fight for justice for more than 25 years. For that reason AJS has been recognized as a pioneering agency. AJS faithfully works in one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Tegucigalpa and in the last eight years has witnessed this neighborhood’s crime rate decrease by over 75%. In addition to fighting against soaring crime in Honduran neighborhoods, AJS is working towards peace and public security reforms on a national level. Recently, these efforts have included the signing of an agreement between AJS and the president of Honduras that makes AJS an official monitor of the president’s anti-corruption plan.
Charles Eapen is a 2010 Alliance Theological Seminary alumnus, who serves as the C12 Group Northern New Jersey Area Chair, with more than two decades of experience that integrates his faith and his profession. He has also served as Executive Director for International Discipleship Ministries Inc., a 501(c)(3) evangelism and discipleship-training ministry working with churches and para-church organization domestically and abroad. In this role, Mr. Eapen held the roles of instructor, fundraiser and general manager.
More than 30 breakout groups will feature presentations by Nyack faculty, some paired with students. A broad range of topics related to the theme are scheduled. Among them are "From the Hand of God to Man: The Work in Art," "Working For Salvation: An Evaluation of Tentmaking and TESOL," "The Dignity of Manual Labor," "Keeping Work From Becoming an Idol: The Role of Grit in the Workplace," and "Educating in an Urban Setting: Working From the Heart."
Dr. Kevin Pinkham is Interim Director of the Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement, Dr. Orlando Rivera is Director of the Center for Transformative Work. Click here to learn more about CSGE and here for information on CTW.
- Negocios Now "40 under 40" List Showcases Nyack Alumna Kathia Benitez
- March 15-17: Latino Pastoral Action Center Hosts 2018 Legacy Conference
- Music Faculty and Students Perform With Opera Star in Kansas City, MO
- Schedule Your Nyack College Visit
- MARCH 15: Writing Center's March Event: The Book of Elyon with Emmanuel Jean-Pierre
- MARCH 21: Bach's 333rd Birthday Bash!
- Metro District Women's Spring Retreat Registration In Progress
- Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- Dr. Anita Underwood, a Panelist on Christian Radio Network
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: DeLissa Dixon
- Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Browse Blog Archive>>