A Showcase of Academic Excellence: Nyack's Scholars Symposium
Nyack College's Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement (CSGE) will cohost the Seventh Annual Nyack Scholars Symposium with the Center for Transformative Work (CTW) on Wednesday, November 4 at the Nyack College New York City campus, 2 Washington Street in Lower Manhattan (18th floor, Room 2241) and on Thursday, November 5 Nyack’s Rockland County campus, 1 South Blvd. in Nyack.
This year’s theme is In Search of the Meaning of Work: Contributions from the Academic Disciplines.
Kurt Ver Beek (pictured above) co-founder of the Association for a More Just Society (AJS), and Charles Eapen, president of the C12 Group are this year’s keynote speakers. Both will speak at the NYC campus on November 4 at 6:00 p.m. On the Rockland County campus, Mr. Eapen will present at 9:30 a.m. in Bowman Gymnasium; Dr. Ver Beek will present at 2:45 p.m. in Pardington Hall.
Also the director of Calvin College’s Semester in Honduras program, Kurt Ver Beek has been on the frontlines of the fight for justice for more than 25 years. For that reason AJS has been recognized as a pioneering agency. AJS faithfully works in one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Tegucigalpa and in the last eight years has witnessed this neighborhood’s crime rate decrease by over 75%. In addition to fighting against soaring crime in Honduran neighborhoods, AJS is working towards peace and public security reforms on a national level. Recently, these efforts have included the signing of an agreement between AJS and the president of Honduras that makes AJS an official monitor of the president’s anti-corruption plan.
Charles Eapen is a 2010 Alliance Theological Seminary alumnus, who serves as the C12 Group Northern New Jersey Area Chair, with more than two decades of experience that integrates his faith and his profession. He has also served as Executive Director for International Discipleship Ministries Inc., a 501(c)(3) evangelism and discipleship-training ministry working with churches and para-church organization domestically and abroad. In this role, Mr. Eapen held the roles of instructor, fundraiser and general manager.
More than 30 breakout groups will feature presentations by Nyack faculty, some paired with students. A broad range of topics related to the theme are scheduled. Among them are "From the Hand of God to Man: The Work in Art," "Working For Salvation: An Evaluation of Tentmaking and TESOL," "The Dignity of Manual Labor," "Keeping Work From Becoming an Idol: The Role of Grit in the Workplace," and "Educating in an Urban Setting: Working From the Heart."
Dr. Kevin Pinkham is Interim Director of the Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement, Dr. Orlando Rivera is Director of the Center for Transformative Work. Click here to learn more about CSGE and here for information on CTW.
- Nyack Athletes in the Kitchen for Community
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Nyack College In Top 20 Schools for Environment on 2018 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education U.S. College Rankings
- Christian Medical & Dental Association NYC Chapter Holds "Care for the Soul" Conference
- RELEASE: Nyack's Campus in Puerto Rico Leads Community Outreach
- WNYK 88.7FM November Alumni Spotlight: Grace Williams ('15)
- Dr. Lyndell O'Hara - Colloquium Speaker
- The Forum, Vol. 2., Issue 2
- Opening Day for National Hispanic Education Summit and Scholars Symposium
- NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
- Seminario Teológico de Puerto Rico...Firm and Persevering!
- Nyack Warriors Fight Strong for Breast Cancer Awareness
- 2017 Seed to Harvest Seminar Hosted by Donna Baptiste Ministries
- '08 ATS Alumnus and Young Adults Pastor Adds Executive Director Role to Ministry
- Faculty Recital Features Dr. Tammy Lum
- Nyack Dean to Azusa Pacific Director: Coast to Coast Mentoring
- Nyack Warriors Basketball Podcast
- A Nyack College Cast Revives Lin-Manuel Miranda's "In the Heights"
- Puerto Rico Seminary Community Outreach to Families
- NOV 15: WMCA Radio 570AM Networking Breakfast at Nyack New York City Campus
- Behind the Project with Isaiah Velez
- Nyack School of Music Students Perform at Market Street Mission
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Hosts Colloquium Series
- Prayer Summit 2017 With Dave Powers
- Boxer Donut & Expresso Bar Owned by 2012 Nyack Alumnus, Eric Brown
- Browse Blog Archive>>