The Loss of AGSC Colleague, Dr. James Chin
The Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary community received the tragic news yesterday of the sudden and unexpected death of Dr. James Chin on Tuesday evening, August 25.
Hired in 1997 as an adjunct professor of psychology and theology, he became a full-time assistant professor of counseling in 1999. In 2002, he was appointed assistant director of the Alliance Graduate School of Counseling (AGSC) at Nyack’s Manhattan campus and in 2005 became an AGSC associate professor.
With more than a quarter century of clinical and teaching experience, in 2012 Dr. Chin was selected as the director of Nyack’s Doctor of Psychology program currently in proposal status and in review by the New York State Education Department.
Nyack College Provost Dr. David Turk commented, “Jim Chin was a tireless champion of rigorous academic scholarship. He believed strongly that Christian educators and students should pursue such so that a powerful Christian witness would be present in higher education. Dr. Chin was also a humble practitioner who modeled a servant's heart by using his intellectual gifts and deep faith in Christ to counsel many in need to emotional and spiritual wholeness. We will greatly miss his commitment to the vision of Nyack College and his willingness to help all of us build a great Christian university in New York metro area.”
With a Ph.D., the Doctor of Philosophy in Clinical Research and Evaluation in Psychology, from Hofstra University, he also held a Master of Arts in neuropsychology from Queens College. He completed undergraduate studies at SUNY Stony Brook.
President Michael G. Scales shares, “Jim Chin was exceptionally suited to be named the director of Alliance Graduate School of Counseling’s Doctor of Psychology program. Like the late founding director of AGSC, Dr. Craig Ellison, he was committed to integrating faith and learning. Not widely known--and demonstrating his dedication to keeping this integration at the core of AGSC--Dr. Chin was enrolled to begin studies for his Master of Divinity at Alliance Theological Seminary this fall.”
Arrangements for celebrating Dr. Chin’s life will take place on Friday evening, August 28 with a viewing 5:00 - 6:30 PM and the service: 6:30 - 7:30 PM at Central Funeral Home, 162-14 Sanford Ave., Queens (Flushing) NY 11358.
Please pray for the comfort of Dr. Chin’s wife, Jenny and their sons, Jonathan and Jeffrey.
- What Nyack Warriors Are Doing to Fight For Survivors of Recent Natural Disasters
- Nyack's Women's Soccer Team Fundraises for Pediatric Cancer Programs
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Request for Prayer: Hurricane Maria Approaches Puerto Rico
- EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
- Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
- SEPT: 18-20 Stephen Fowler, Deeper Life Series Speaker
- SEPT 18: Interview of Building 429's Jason Roy to Re-air on WNYK 88FM
- Fall 2017 Colloquium Series Hosted by Nyack's Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement
- Nyack College on U.S. News & World Report 2018 #BestColleges List
- SEPT 28: Biblical Archaeology Society and Nyack's Center for The Study of Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins NYC Event
- Free Coney Island Concert Nyack's Damien Sneed with Gospel Great, Shirley Caesar
- Nyack Rockland Dean's Personal 9/11 Reflection
- ATS Dean in Vietnam to Teach First Seminary Graduate Level Course
- UPDATE: ATS/Nyack Campus in Puerto Rico
- Diversity Matters: Race, Ethnicity, & The Future of Christian Higher Education
- Listening Party for ISAIAH VELEZ
- Jesus Week Appreciation Banquet, Sept. 7 @6:30 PM
- Youth Pastors Fellowship at Nyack College NYC
- Dan Bailey Named to the CACC Hall of Fame
- An NCLEX-RN Exam Victory for Class of 2017 Alumnae
- Nyack College - A Borderline Music Festival Sponsor
- Andrew Iwaskow, Nyack Alumnus Named Executive VP at Tailored Brands, Inc.
- Browse Blog Archive>>