Walking the Talk of Community Service
The Office of Student Development at Nyack College has coordinated several activities that will give students an opportunity to give to the local community on the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday, Monday, January 15, the birth date of the slain civil rights leader.
Student Development contacted Rockland County businesses, organizations, and residents to employ college campus volunteers in exchange for donations to offset the Center’s current financial crisis. The Multipurpose Center provides services to children, youth, senior citizens, as well as family units that include an after school program, exercise classes, summer day camps, food programs, and adult education classes.
Supporters of this fundraiser will have college volunteers work on tasks that can be completed within just a few hours with a minimum of two workers at each site. Rates per individual are $10 per hour for one to two hours; $25 for three hours; $30 for four hours. All proceeds would go directly to the Martin Luther King Multipurpose Center. Transportation for workers will be provided by Nyack College.
For several years now, January 15 has the holiday when students can choose to make “the day off, a day on.” Some 100 students participate in community service activities, which will include the following:
- Students will serve breakfast to parishioners and friends of St. Charles A.M.E. Church in Sparkill, NY from 10 a.m. until noon at an annual King Day event.
- Nyack College athletes will work on a construction project at the New Life Community Health Center in Elmhurst, NY. The mission of this organization is to “to impact lives by providing health care oriented to the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of immigrants and the under-insured of west/central Queens in New York City.” A reported 120 to 150 different nationalities are represented in the population in this area.
- A performance by the Nyack College Gospel choir at a worship service at 2 p.m. at Pilgrim Baptist Church in downtown Nyack.
- A blood drive, open to the entire community, will be held at Nyack College’s Boon Center in Rockland from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.
For more information about Nyack’s Martin Luther King Day schedule of events, phone the Nyack College Student Development Office at 845.358.1710, ext. 750.
- Nyack...We're Here to Serve!
- Pianist Johnny Walsh In Concert on Nyack Rockland Campus March 31
- Nyack College Student Research Conference March 26 on Rockland Campus
- Live from New York...Nyack's School of Music at Avery Fisher Hall, Lincoln Center!
- Broken To Minister CD Launch Event at NYC Campus
- 15-City Promo Tour for Nyack NYC Campus Music Prof Damien Sneed
- Becker Professional Education Presentation
- FEBRUARY 23-24: Pianist Marcelo Liano in Concert at Nyack Rockland
- Colloquium Series Features Dr. Kale Yu on "Earth in Mind"
- Denise Lewis Patrick, Award-Winning Author and Nyack Adjunct, Presents Connected Souls
- Nursing Alumni Return to Share Their Journey
- Nyack College Partners with the Luis Palau Association
- Nyack Reps at NY Student Aid Alliance Advocacy Day in Albany
- Damien Sneed, NYC Music Faculty, in PBS Documentary on Work by Wynton Marsalis
- Andrew White in Concert at Nyack College Rockland
- Browse Blog Archive>>